Battle Royale Film & 40s - Help me find the right version

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ltcolumbo

Apparently I'm an idiot. I've now bought the wrong version of Battle Royale on Vudu, the PS store, and twice on Amazon. I'm about $70 down and still don't have the version I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I think I need a non-directors cut that is 114 minutes long, but the only version of that I can find is region 2 (which I now own and can't use if anyone wants it) and I need a US version. If someone can link me to what I need I'll be forever grateful. Thanks!

LimpingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've always found this website handy for finding the right version of movies. It only deals in physical media though, so it won't help with digital versions. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find the different running times in the "Cuts" section.

Hope it helps.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Overbite

You can't return the physical copies you got?

Anyway I ended up getting a free trial at Shudder and their version is the 114 minute version. Apparently every version is directors cut, but some are special edition directors cut and extended edition and depending on exactly what version you get you might get the 114 minute or the longer one.

They really dropped the ball with this f&40, such a chore to get the right version. And when you do they rarely talk about the film during it so I don't even see why it matters

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Keep in mind that many if not most PAL/region 2/B movies run about 7% faster than their US/NTSC counterparts due to how they handle the conversion from 24 FPS (the native speed most movies are shot at) to 25 (PAL) and 29 (NTSC) fps, which would make it hard to sync the film and 40s with a PAL DVD version of the movie.

I don't remember the specifics, but the short version is that in the US they double some frames to keep the speed of the movie the same as the theatrical 24 fps version with some mild visual stuttering as a result, whereas in EU they speed the movie up slightly so it runs in 25 fps instead of 24, resulting in a slightly higher pitch of the sound but smoother visuals and a few minutes shorter run time over the course of a 90 minute movie.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ltcolumbo

@overbite: I bought it from a 3rd party seller on Amazon and opened it (and tried to play it) before I realized it was the wrong region. I checked my order history afterwards and clearly I just missed the region notice, so I wouldn't feel right returning it and sticking it to that seller. I might try to sell it but I'm worried someone will make the same mistake I made and I'd prefer to avoid that.

The good news is I found a solution but I'm pretty sure answer is "random magic," so for anyone else with the same problem, your results may vary. The last straw that made me start this thread was after signing up for a Showtime membership on Amazon to stream the movie (yes, Showtime, not Shudder), I was queued up to watch and was at the starting title screen and listening for Alex to count it down. He/Vinny stated the screen said "2000", and the video I had queued up said "2001." That's when I posted the thread looking for help.

Shortly therafter, I gave up and decided to just watch the different version and resync when possible. Ten seconds after pressing play, the video froze, and then put up a message saying my device (my PS4) didn't have enough bandwidth to stream the video. After another try, I gave up again and took a nap. When I came back after my nap, that's when the Leprechauns kicked in. Not only did the title screen now say "2000," but the run time was now 114 minutes. It worked perfectly and I just finished watching. I guess I don't really know how streaming services work, and it doesn't really seem possible that Showtimes is rng-ing your options, but I swear that's what happened.

Your results my vary. Since the Showtime trial is free on Amazon, this may be worth a try to anyone else in the same boat. That said, thanks to all for the suggestions.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe i can Hijack this question with one of my own.

Where the hell do i find the old Film & 40s episodes? I don't see them listed anywhere one the site once they drop from the front page. I really just wanted to go into the comments from They live and beg for more after i had so much fun watching it with the gang :)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

@tanstaafl: They don't have a category of their own, but are listed under the "Premium Podcasts" feed. There aren't too many non-Film & 40's episodes on there though, so shouldn't be too hard to find them all.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for boundforthefloor
BoundfortheFloor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the "Directors cut" Bluray from Amazon Anchor bay.

I'm stewed, right!?