Battlefield 1943...!

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RyanJW

Wow, didn't see this one coming — I assumed DICE would be busy with Battlefield Heroes and Bad Company 2 for the majority of this year. See here for video:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/05/battlefield-1943-coming-to-xbla-and-psn-this-summer/

I'm guessing it won't have anywhere near the depth of Battlefield 2 and 2142, but this'll be a very nice stopgap while I continue desperately desiring Battlefield 3.  :D Hopefully BF3 will come early 2010, which isn't unlikely as DICE has this habit of announcing games literally months before their release.

Just to clarify, it is coming out on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network, and the PC (presumably through EA Downloader and maybe Steam).

RyanJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RyanJW

I dunno. I kind of see the Bad Company games as irrelevant to me, as do many of the people who did and continue to play Battlefield 2 and 2142 — the former of which remains one of the most popular online PC games.

This is pretty much the first significant Battlefield release since Battlefield 2142 from my perspective and those like me, so I don't see how it'll kill the series. If anything it's breathing a bit of life back into the PC Battlefield scene, which it's worth remembering is responsible for the franchise being the success story that it is.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I'm pretty excited about that, I'm hoping it'll pave the way for bigger and bigger XBLA releases.  A battlefield game would be perfect for me right now and XBLA is exactly where I'd want it.  More of the same please game makers

Is it just me or does this seem like it could be a mini-Battlefield.  i.e. a small number of maps and weapons.

EDIT: Added the video

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

If I wanted to play 1942 I'd go reinstall it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

Battlefield 1943 looks like a "realistic" Battlefield Heroes to me. That trailer sort of puts me in the mind it will be small maps, constant action, simple goals or objectives and not a full fledged WW2 Battlefield game.

Thats another issue I have with this, World War 2.....why not modern? or some OTHER Battlefield setting. My patience for WW2 games is running out.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane
Hamz said:
Thats another issue I have with this, World War 2.....why not modern? or some OTHER Battlefield setting. My patience for WW2 games is running out.
I agree with this.  While I can't get enough of World War II FPS games or any other genre(like I talked about in BSHAF), they do need to dip their feet into other historical eras.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Hamz
CitizenKane said:
"Hamz said:
I agree with this.  While I can't get enough of World War II FPS games or any other genre(like I talked about in BSHAF), they do need to dip their feet into other historical eras."
Exactly the WW2 setting is good, lets not deny that. But so many other games cover it that I sit here and wonder why more games need to be made focusing on WW2 when they really don't add or change anything significant to previous games covering the period. I mean hell if they said "Imagine an alternative universe where soldiers in WW2 had laser guns, robot monkeys with knives and centre mass shots DID NOT kill people" I'd be hyped.

It surprises me they haven't ever gone for a Battlefield: Medieval setting game. That could work out really well.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I think what keeps this interesting for me is that its based in the Pacific Theatre and seems to be the Battlefield Heroes style constant action game.  I'm hoping that it's RPGish like BF Heroes is.  That'll probably be enough to keep me playing it until Modern Warfare 2 comes out

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

Seems really cool.  Man, this game has gotten hammered on so many forums by idiots who make assumptions about the game.  I guess most PC gamers are just sad to see the next real BF game coming to consoles as well.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By DARKIDO07

I'm looking forward to both Battlefield: 1943 and Battlefield: Heroes (when is Heroes planed to come out anyway?) and will play both actively once I get my new gaming computer over the summer.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alexander

That trailer certainly has me interested, we're looking at a lower priced game that will be easy to get to grips with. Hopefully the player count is pushed as high as it can go on the consoles.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Optiow

I love the battlefield series, so this is hopefully going to be good!!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422
Miniman said:
"Meh, will probably kill the Battlefield series. At least we had Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to look forward to."
Bad Company has already actively started to 'kill' the BF series, it can't really go any more wrong. If these Bad Company games didn't have Battlefield in the title, I would be way more happy. They need to just get on a Battlefield 3.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By keyhunter
Hamz said:
"CitizenKane said:
"Hamz said:
I agree with this.  While I can't get enough of World War II FPS games or any other genre(like I talked about in BSHAF), they do need to dip their feet into other historical eras."
Exactly the WW2 setting is good, lets not deny that. But so many other games cover it that I sit here and wonder why more games need to be made focusing on WW2 when they really don't add or change anything significant to previous games covering the period. I mean hell if they said "Imagine an alternative universe where soldiers in WW2 had laser guns, robot monkeys with knives and centre mass shots DID NOT kill people" I'd be hyped.

It surprises me they haven't ever gone for a Battlefield: Medieval setting game. That could work out really well."

They made a BATTLEFIELD QUAKE game! That was AWESOME you should play that!
randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By randiolo

1942...yawn..