Battlefield 4 beta - Either I'm growing old or Battlefield is getting stale.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By DonPixel

I've been buying into BF since the first Vietnam ex-pac for 1942, it is been one of those games I can always count on. However I think BF4 is the first one I'm gonna skip, after playing the beta for a few hours I can say at least to me eyes: BF4 is a glorified Map pack for BF3.

Really I have no moral issue with it, but at this point wouldn't be wiser of EA/DICE to stop pretending and just charge for a monthly fee? I don't want to pay $50 for a campaign god knows I'm not going to play.

Business model aside what hurt my Battlefield hearth the most is the lack of an interesting creative direction. Dice has done interesting themes/settings before Bad Company 1 had funny dialogues and characters weirdly enough, and BF2142 was a fun spin off. But this vanilla modern military B.S. we've seen like a thousand times already? seriously!?

With Titan Fall and Destiny coming out for PC next year, I'm eager to check something different. Battlefield keeps growing: It keeps getting prettier, more technically impressive, feature pack and polished than ever... yet I can't help but feel like: Battlefield 4 is like one of those euro cars packed with cool tech and sophistication... yet they so boring and vanilla to look at.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm going to try out the beta, but I was really disappointed with BF3. I'm even less excited for BF4.

Bad Company 2 was a nice breath of fresh air for Battlefield, it was the game that introduced the new frostbyte engine and gave us some really great maps. Battlefield 3 felt like an expansion pack to BC2.

BF4, so far, looks to be less of an expansion and more of a map pack. Sure, they fixed some UI weirdness like not being able to click the flags for spawning, but this should have been patched into BF3 a year ago.

I don't know a single person who enjoyed the BF3 single-player campaign. How can anyone be excited for one in BF4? If they wanted to take the multiplayer crown away from Call of Duty, then they should scrap single-player, release BF4 as a multiplayer-only game, and charge $30 for it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I agree. I am not even going to bother trying BF4. I disliked BF3 a great deal and am of the opinion that they have killed one of their best franchises in hopes of trying to beat a game in sales that they are not going to ever be able to beat. I wish they would go back to a BF2 style game where there is way more focus on teamwork than just shooting, or at least like Bad Company.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't know, I don't understand what people's beef with BF3 was. It was a good installment in the series. Still, just iterating on the same formula has not traditionally been the way that Battlefield succeeded.

On the other hand, I can't even play BF3 right now with all the expansions leaving me behind, so it's nice to have a good jumping on point if I decide to go that way.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I don't understand what people's beef with BF3 was. It was a good installment in the series. Still, just iterating on the same formula has not traditionally been the way that Battlefield succeeded.

On the other hand, I can't even play BF3 right now with all the expansions leaving me behind, so it's nice to have a good jumping on point if I decide to go that way.

At this point, you can pick up BF3 premium for about $15. Fortunately though, you missed out on some of the worst maps the series has ever seen. There are maybe 4 or 5 maps I could say are good, the rest are either too big, too small, or just boring.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DonPixel

@veektarius said:

I liked BF3 and played a fair amount of it, However my biggest issue with it is destruction (or lack of it in a meaningful way) it was a step back from Bad Company 2: For example Arica Harbour in BC2, that map can be reshape during a match, houses would go down and shelters would disappear... that just doesn't happens in BF3, sure its prettier but it is also shallower.

Karkand is an example of this, I thought they were doing something cool with so many buildings... yet the map is so static.

It is also the issue with the lame-O-campaign... of which I played like literary 10 minutes, I don't like to pay for stuff I don't want.

Said so and just to clarify: I did enjoy BF3 but I not down for more of the same, just prettier doesn't cut it for me.