#1  Edited By jeff4moso

jeff4moso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jeff4moso

Now I know that this is exactly a deep topic, but this stuck me while I was listening to a podcast. One of the hosts declared that they had beaten Batman: Arkham City. It made me think about how when I was a kid, every game was "beaten". Now I don't really think like that. I always say that I finished a game. I started to think about why the terminology switched in my mind, and I think it has to do with how games are structured nowadays (more story driven). So anyway, how do you describe completing a game? Did you beat it or did you finish it? Leave your comments below.

kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kratos

It's game to game, you finish a story, but something like Joe Danger is beaten.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

There aren't a lot of games these days that can be "beat".

You could "beat" most arcade games back in the day. Games, now, are meant to be "finished". You want them to be easy enough that almost everyone can complete the game/story if they've invested the time, rather than if they've built up the skill. So, while you might "beat" Donkey Kong, you "finish", say, Alan Wake. The same way you don't "beat" a book, movie, or album.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By lockwoodx

Ummm neither. Well.... Finishing a game is seeing the title from start to.... wait for it..... FINISH. Beating a game means there's nothing left in the title to challenge you, so the game goes unfinished, but you BEAT IT.

There is no rigid one or the other, and yes it's possible to do both.

jeff4moso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeff4moso

@Buzzkill: Wait, you are a little contradictory, but I think I get what you're saying. You can finish finish a game, but not beat it? I guess I can get onboard with that.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By theguy

I beat games as in "I beat my wife"

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By phrosnite

Finish I guess...

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Killer_Babomb

For the longest time I would have argued on behalf of "beat", but this got me thinking. It's not that simple anymore with the addition of Trophies and Achievements. One can't just beat a game and be done, now It's finish. There is so much more to do after the story has ended if your into that kind of stuff.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lockwoodx

@chicubs223420: When you've got a game figured out, you've beat it, even if you still haven't finished it. Then you can continue onto finishing the title to claim you've both beaten and finished the game. Once the game no longer poses a challenge for you anymore, you've Mastered the game.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CottonWolf

In my head, finishing is just getting through the main story, whereas beating is doing all the side stuff, getting all of the achievements/trophies ect.

jeff4moso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeff4moso

@CottonWolf: Good point about the trophies/achievements. That definitely factors into it.