Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Azteck

Hiya guys.

Today, as I was playing a game of Civ V with a friend, I got a random chat invite from some person I've never met before named "Misa<3". Curiosity got the better out of me, and I accepted just to see what they wanted, thinking that it couldn't possibly be THAT bad, could it? This is the conversation that followed

Misa<3: ^^ can you buy me game pack please please ^^?
Echelon™: And.. why would I?
Misa<3: good to give :(
Echelon™: I might be generous to friends, maybe too generous at times, but I have no clue who you even are. What could possibly convince me to buy you anything when I have never even seen your name before.
Misa<3: sowy :( i was just thinking that u could..
Echelon™: Sorry, you've got the wrong person. For the record, and for future consideration, most people will find it incredibly rude if you beg them to buy you, a complete stranger things, even if you're a girl (or simply have a girl as your pic). There are better ways to go about it.
Misa<3: :(

Now, people might think I sound like a complete dick and maybe I did come off as one, but begging strangers you found through the GiantBomb Gift & Bulk Pack Cooperative simply seems rude to me. You wouldn't go up to a random person in the street and ask them to buy you the latest CoD or whatever strikes your fancy. I've read about people running into these things before but I've never actually had it happen to me, so it kind of caught me off guard at first. It's just a really weird thing to do, at least from my point of view.

How do you handle these things, assuming they've even happened to you? Ever actually bought anyone a game from them begging in the Steam chat? I simply don't see why people would hope that someone would spend their hard earned money on a random person on the internet, simply out of the kindness of their heart. At least not in a scenario like this.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I think you handled it well.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

I bet Misa<3 is a 27 year old Italian male pretending to be a girl.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By ElBarto

that was actually me, darn. :(

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

You were about as nice as you reasonably could be. I doubt that "she" even deserved that, probably a dude trying to get some lonely nerd to buy him something simply because he's posing as a girl. I can't picture a real person doing that in earnest.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Adamsons

Personally - I would have just given them a varying degree of abuse for wasting my time and left it there.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By 1337W422102
@Azteck 
Something like that happened to me, too.  Some Russian dude I never met wanted me to buy him something off Steam.  I had no idea who he was or why he thought that contacting a stranger would result in him getting something for nothing.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Why would anyone think your a dick? That was practically spamming, no need to be nice to spammers.

Also I really like Civ V just thought I'd throw it out there... In case anyone wants to buy it for me. Please.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

wait, I think I just got a chat invite from this same person.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ygg said:
I bet Misa<3 is a 27 year old Italian male pretending to be a girl.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tsoglani

It was probably a Nigerian spammer or some sort of scam. Either that or an Italian she-male.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

You definitely weren't a dick about it. In fact, you were fairly nice about it. My response would have been more colorful. 

I have heard of people buying games for others they'd met online, but only after they'd talked for a while, been friends, etc. I've never heard of people just jumping into chats and asking for new games. For all we know, this might be a scam of some sort. 

I have a hard time believing this was actually a girl. You know how sometimes you hear about guys giving girls things for nothing in World of Warcraft and other online games? Well, I think this was someone who thought they could get away with begging for the game and pretending to be a girl. What's crazy is that they might eventually come across someone that gullible.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strife777

You didn't sound like a dick at all. You probably gave the best response you could in that situation.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Three0neFive

No, you were absolutely in the right. Probably handled it more elegantly than most people (myself included) would have, too.

People like that - both of the the "im entitled to stuff because I'm a special snowflake" and "i'm entitled to stuff because i play games and also happen to have tits and am therefore a special snowflake" - piss me the fuck off. Fuck this gay earth.

@believer258 said:

I have a hard time believing this was actually a girl. You know how sometimes you hear about guys giving girls things for nothing in World of Warcraft and other online games? Well, I think this was someone who thought they could get away with begging for the game and pretending to be a girl. What's crazy is that they might eventually come across someone that gullible.
Also, this.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

Ugh, we've had that same sort of begging here in the forums before as well.

"Could you gift me just this one game, please. My parents won't buy me anything. Waah"

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By JCTango
@Azteck: probably someone who does that all the time man - there are a lot of people out there who do that.  They're like gaming telemarketers;  they're trying to come off as coy and cute - it probably worked for them before so they're doing it again.

I thought you were being way too nice to him/her heh..  I wouldn't have even responded once they said their request.  If it was a friend or someone I knew by acquaintance, and not a complete stranger I would've said something, but not someone I've never met before.
BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Went about it a lot nicer than I would have I only buy stuff off Steam for people I actually know. and girl or not (probably not) I would have gone off a bit.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By LiquidSwords
The bums lost. My advise is to do what your parents did; Get a job, sir
The bums lost. My advise is to do what your parents did; Get a job, sir
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

o well on that. no i've never gotten any spammers asking for games. i do think that it's kind of stupid to ask for games, beg for money.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck
@JCTango said:
@Azteck: probably someone who does that all the time man - there are a lot of people out there who do that.  They're like gaming telemarketers;  they're trying to come off as coy and cute - it probably worked for them before so they're doing it again. I thought you were being way too nice to him/her heh..  I wouldn't have even responded once they said their request.  If it was a friend or someone I knew by acquaintance, and not a complete stranger I would've said something, but not someone I've never met before.
The thought of  just closing the chat window did strike me but I actually found it amusing on some level. It's just so ridiculous, I was hoping it would pan out even more and that they'd give some crazy sob story, but as you can see that didn't happen.
Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lifestrike

You handled that in a very reasonable and polite manner.

Were you wearing a top hat and a monocle, too?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Azteck
@Lifestrike said:
You handled that in a very reasonable and polite manner.  Were you wearing a top hat and a monocle, too?
No, but I should definitely consider investing in a monocle. It will add that final touch to my already suave gaming suit.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PeasantAbuse

You handled that well, I would have just said fuck off.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hoossy
@Azteck:  

But she so HORNY, she love you LONG time!!!
ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThePaleKing

I tend to tell those people to eat a bag of dicks, or some variation thereof (put a dick in your ear, dick off dickhead, I will kill your dick); so i would say you handled it in a very non-dickish fashion. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Yanngc33

You're a kind man, I would have ignored her/him/it

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Mine went like this: 

Misa<3:  ^^ can you buy me game pack please please ^^?

69.x sM0k3.d4wGgx.420';;w3$+: Yeah sure 

Misa<3: really?

*Block*

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Azteck
@ShaunassNZ: Much easier than my way.
MyaSharona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MyaSharona
gyuh women (/ men) will continue to do this sort of thing as long as men (/women) continue to submit to it.  
Unfortunately some women have gotten a lot of 'things' in life by saying please and batting their eyelashes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You acted like a gentlemen and a scholar. I salute you sir.

A friend of mine drunkenly gifted a bunch of Steam games the other day to people on her friends list.

I don't remember if it was last holidays or the one before where we had a secret Santa-ish deal here where I gave some guy a game. The community as a whole actually gifted alotta games to eachother back then if I remember correctly.