Best chair ??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BoFooQ

I broke my desk chair the other day and now need a new one. In my room with my PS3 I have only the 1 chair and my bed, so I spend a lot of my time in it. I need a chair I can sit in for hours, something that is good for typing at my desk as well as playing games. As I was thinking about it I realize the last 3 chairs I've had over the past 10+ years I've acquired for free. I'm thinking of buying a new one but am worried about getting something online and not liking it or it not holding up.

My question is this, what do you look for in a chair? how much should you spend for a good chair? $200? Is there any certain brand that is top of the line?

I need something with wheels to move around the room, arms, and some kind of padding.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By psylah

I'll tell you what, make sure the padding in the armrests will hold up.

My current chair had polyurethane foam under leather, and after less than a year of my hard leaning, they are both crushed flat and now my elbows hurt when I lean on the armrests.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By haffy
BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BoFooQ

My current broken chair had plastic arms and they didn't ever wear. They weren't comfortable or not really just there. I guess I would go for a similar type of arm to avoid your problem.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

I generally sit forward in my chairs, cross legged, so arm rests and back don't really make to much a difference for me. I'm all about the padding, it needs to be soft but hard.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BoFooQ

Aeron chairs cost around $600+ I don't care how great that chair is, that much money it better ......

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uhtaree

All the easily recommendable office chairs are expensive because corporations just expense them. Finding a $300 or less office chair is tricky and has always required me going to all the office retailers and sitting in everything they got to get paired with the correct chair.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zurv

@BoFooQ said:

Aeron chairs cost around $600+ I don't care how great that chair is, that much money it better ......

pooo... they are much cheaper than they used to be... and are great :)

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By psylah

How about standing, like those Tested hippies?

You can stand at your desk for 12 hours, drinking your chai latte and listening to Arcade Fire.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mosdl

@Zurv said:

Aeron chair :)

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html

Herman Miller or Steelcase chairs are the best, and I love my Aeron, though I work from home and it was worth the expense. I did just switch to a standing desk which has done amazing things for back pain though!

Search for office chair liquidators in your area, they will usually offer slightly used business chairs for bargain prices. They usually advertise on craiglsist in my area and you can go test the chairs in person.

wookie912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wookie912

Weve had Aeron chairs at work (IT helpdesk) for a couple years now. Extremely comfy... I think our models cost about $700 a pop...thats a hell of alot of money for 50+ chairs... If i could afford it i think id but one for home.. but sadly i cant...

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By mosespippy

I had this same problem in my first year of university. I was spending between 10 and 14 hours a day sitting at my desk so I knew I had to get something good. I spent about three hours at the chair store sitting in every chair there and in the end it was down to between the most comfortable $150 office chair that was tall enough for me and a $300 executive chair that was slightly too short. I am incredibly glad I went with the $300 chair (plus $75 for 15 year warranty, assembly and delivery). The adjustable back and high back with head rest are very important to me. I don't believe the cheaper chair would have lasted this long (now in the 6th year) since the back was a mesh suspended between 2 poles.

Basically what I'm saying is one, go to a store and sit in every chair just to see what you like and don't like and two, don't be afraid to spend. Don't cheap out.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By stinky

along with above, dont be afraid to spend.

we spend a lot of time sitting down, its worth an investment.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Wish I could help, but every chair I buy is very uncomfortable to sit in after 20-30 min. Just spent around $150-$200 on a nice one but just like all the rest my butt/legs/back hurts after sitting in them for a little bit. I'm cursed!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

I just use a lawn chair, cheap and effective.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scrawnto

I moved to a new apartment last week, and I currently have no furniture besides a bed. I want to get nice things, now that I'm out of college and making decent money, but I don't to go overboard on any one item. There are still a ton of things I need (desk, couch, office chair, dining table, vacuum, etc.), and I've already dropped a hefty chunk of change this month between the deposit on the place, my first month's rent, a bed, and about $400 of miscellaneous items I've never had to worry about before (pots and pans, a shower curtain, rugs, silverware, trash cans, and such). It's expensive to set up a new place.

Is an office chair an area where I should splurge? The last office chair I had started to fall apart on me, so I don't want to cheap out too much.

I'm thinking of trying out one of these Aerons I've heard so much about at a local furniture store that caters to that sort of high end office furnishing. They do look pretty cool, and if they are as comfortable as they say, I may not be able to resist.

(P.S. on proof reading this post, I misread 'resist' as 'racist' and got confused)

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Cubical

You need The Gravitonus I have used mine for 3 years in my underground bunker from the 1950s that I have converted into an office and game workspace.

best chair ever.