Best Fake Credits

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Spoilers for any number of games

Replaying Control, I was reminded of the fake early credits sequence and how much I love when games do that. Especially the spin they put on it with the Hiss words filling the screen and then corrupting in very unnatural ways.

What are your favourite fake credits sequences? I want to remember more of them.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know if it counts but the opening credits to Prey (2017) are fantastic.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenosaga 2 has a fun credit sequence that is interrupted by the boss shatter for the final boss second form, if I’m remembering correctly.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That moment when MGS4's credits stop on the voice actor for Big Boss who wasn't in the game up to that point.

And then Drew goes

No Caption Provided

AzureGale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AzureGale

Saints Row IV, mission "Miller-Space". The bad guy, Emperor Zinyak, gives you the choice to kill yourself and save humanity by walking through a red door, or free your friend and continue to fight Zinyak's forces by walking through a blue door. Walk through the red door, and you get the credits roll. At the end of the credits roll...

MILLER-SPACE

FAILED

ZINYAK LIED

LPockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my favorite will always be the "bad ending" of Hitman: Blood Money.

The credit sequence at the funeral starts and you notice the screen pulsing in and out of focus. Well, this is a subtle hint that 47 isn't dead, he just had the drug that feigns death in his system, which explains why in the cutscene prior Diana put on "lipstick" before kissing him - she actually administered the antidote to increase his heartrate back up to normal levels (something that was foreshadowed in the rehab level where you administer it to someone in order to smuggle them out).

If you let the credits roll all the way through without doing anything, 47 is lowered into the grave and the game ends naturally. However, if you press the movement keys or analog stick enough he will wake up and you get a few seconds of dual hardballer pistol slo-mo to get your bearings and commence an epic shootout with the man who was hunting you and his goons.

When I figured it out for the first time, it left such an impact on me and is still one of my favorite endings of any game. The setup, the hinting to the player, and the payoff are all beautifully done.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HoboZero

Eternal Darkness has a great one. If your sanity meter fills up the game will appear to end with a To Be Continued in Eternal Darkness 2! screen.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The kid in me immediately says "Donkey Kong Country" so that's what I'm going with.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alistercat

@cikame: I forgot all about that. If I can afford Premium again in the future I'm definitely rewatching.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: that game does a lot of great subversive stuff.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By doctordonkey

Sunset Overdrive still my favourite fake ending. It's funny hearing them mention Neogaf though, definitely puts a date on it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Outer Wilds' "kazoo credits" ending is pretty spectacular.

And I dunno if it counts as "Fake credits," but the ending in Chrono Trigger where Marle and Lucca rate the game's hunks is one of my favorites. As is the one where you meet the devs in-game (which you can only get through the trying 'defeat Lavos as soon as you possibly can with only Crono and Marle).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Arkham City, that Catwoman ending when you take the loot and go.

And Chrono Cross, that was full if weird endings. Not exactly fake credits, but fun to reminisce about.

theflinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

All I can remember is Wing Commander IV on pc having goofy alternate credits. But I think you had to enter a command line argument in dos to get to it.