Best fuck-around action multiplayer game

jaytee00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What's the best game for 3 or 4 dudes to fuck around and have fun in? I was thinking of buying my friends Far Cry 4 or 5, but think there might be other things. I'm looking for things that don't require a lot of time investment (so no Destiny or competitive games), require cooperation and have the potential for hi-jinks. Doesn't have to be a shooter.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nutter

Ghost Recon Wildlands gets super fucking dumb, when you want it to.

Sea of Thieves can get that way, too.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Forza Horizon 4

BigSocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crackdown 3 is not a great game but for Multiplayer hijinx it definitely works.

Forza Horizon 4 is also a great choice, though there is a competitive element against each other (but I think by competitive games you meant games where you'd have to work hard to get good, as opposed to just some racing fun.)

Obviously Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are also great choices if you have Switches and another way to actually have conversations.

I'd toss in some other fighting games like Soul Calibur VI or Mortal Kombat as a pretty fun time smacking one another around. Soul Calibur in particular is masher friendly and has a lot of fun create-a-character options you could use to make funny fighters to laugh at.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned the Borderlands series. It's basically MADE for this, without the time investment of a Destiny.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Try Warframe its free

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Crackdown is great for that, but isn’t it only 2-player co-op?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldie, but a goodie; DOA2: Ultimate...I THINK that’s the one...

One of the DOA games had (hell, maybe they all do) an online tag mode. It’s a tag mode, so only two characters are fighting at a time, but there are tag combos, tag team moves, etc.

DOA is also very fun to just mash shit out as you learn.

I’d be playing this all the time, but I’m the only fighting game fan in my usual group...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memonk said:

Try Warframe its free

I'd also recommend this. Warframe is free and has hours and hours of fun in it if you end up enjoying running around at blinding speeds, mowing down enemies and using weird and wild super powers.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memonk: @jesus_phish:

Isn’t Warframe a bit of a clusterfuck to get into, though? I tried it earlier this year and found the game mystifying. Systems on top of systems on top of systems.

On-boarding for a new player felt non-existent, to me.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: They could do a better job of it, but it's not as bad as it was. As long as you sort of stick to their attempt at onboarding you until you have an idea of what's what, you'll be fine. The problem is that they give you too much access to too much at once. Ideally they'd cut away the majority of the content before you're probably able to play and understand it.

Like the systems aren't that complex.

You have a Warframe and some weapons. You put mods in those which make them better. Later you can upgrade them in other ways, but you don't need to know anything about that until many hours into the game. Almost everything on top of that is just an extension. There's rep factions to grind out, there's daily missions etc.

But it's also free, so it's good to try out.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Yeah, I recall choosing a three weapons, going to a tutorial mission, thinking the game was okay, then being just absolutely lost on a personal spaceship.

I’m not sure if I played beyond the spaceship. I seem to recall seeing a whole ton of workstations representing various menus, the opportunity to spend money on stuff, and I just sort of said “fuck it” and quit.

It could totally be a fine game for people to just fuck off in, but I lost interest pretty quickly.

I think this was post Destiny 2, seeing if Warframe might be the game to make me like loot shooter/live games again. It wasn’t. I gave up on the genre, avoiding Anthem and Division 2, and I’m feeling pretty good about it.

So, this sort of thing may just not be for me (years 2-3 of Destiny 1 were great, though).

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands? The actual story is pretty secondary/optional to pay attention to and the numbers go up real good.

sbarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would second Wildlands.. Had hours and hours of fun with some friends who are very casual gamers..

Plus you can probably get it for a really good price at this point, and the game still looks good and runs on everything (except the Switch I guess).

@nutter said:

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14 rorie  Staff

@nutter said:

Sea of Thieves can get that way, too.

Wildlands is SUPER fun in co-op.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@nutter: Honestly, earlier this summer I put 160 hours into Warframe after bouncing off of it the first time in a way very similar to how you experienced. It was soooooo much my first time through it and I just felt like if I couldn't even get a handle on how all of these upfront systems worked much less half the shit I didn't know about, what was I even doing?

Then on my second attempt with only slightly more knowledge going in, basic knowledge really regarding the mod systems and just frames/economy I started to accept what it was and I can say it absolutely fits the description of a great fuck around action MP game. Especially considering the variety of ways you can play the game.

That said, the key to getting into it and not looking at all those systems and getting wide eyed is to realize and accept, it's not a RPG where your meant to discover how it works simply by using it or reading in game menus. Also previous systems or game knowledge can sometimes be a detriment because this game often is doing it's own things system wise. I found the best way to work with it was to break it down per system. Instead of having a wiki up all the time and it being just reading, I would play the game and as I got comfortable with some systems would then wiki about those specific systems. Then it's easy to get into a rhythm, understand the gameflow, and as the game piles more on, which they do, honestly new systems get introduced forever. The running joke is that the game doesn't really start till you hit a certain thing that I only just have gotten too. Which was for me some 160 hours in. Even as the game introduces new things it's simply about messing around with how those things work and doing some mild research after the fact.

For example you don't really need to understand how the damage system works early on, more so just that your making your numbers go up. As you hit later game, it becomes more important to really understand the nuances of how that system works difficulty wise. Initially you see elemental types and presume that a little MMO or even Destiny experience would explain it, but the math on the wiki page for damage for the game is way more complex. Again though, it's kind of meant for you to discover this stuff and understand it more as you go. It's one of the most honestly captivating things about the game that isn't made readily apparent early on.

Despite the fact that I agree with you that the game doesn't do a great job onboarding new players, even if they've made some UI and other structural attempts at that as the game has gone along, the idea that your discovering how to play the game, use it's systems, and how that fits into the narrative and overall player growth is fascinating. It very much strives to be a game where you poke at it and prod with it and then as you engage with new things you discover how the systems work and how they change or impact the gameflow. The lack of hand holding can feel so jarring and even did for me later hours in. I can't count the times even 50+ hours in a new system would be introduced and my brain would be like "another thing?" Then you look at the wiki and see another 8 paragraphs and your just surrender to looking at it later. But after you realize what the games hook is, and that it keeps hiding more and more and you realize each thing added is another system. You start to wonder how deep that rabbit hole goes, and I think that in essence becomes apart of the game experience.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devise22: Oh, I’m not even so picky these days to need to understand systems. I think just seeing that all that stuff existed was enough for me to just fuck off, never to return.

I invested myself in Taken King, after bouncing off of vanilla Destiny VERY quickly. Destiny 2 was a HUGE swing and a miss for me, so I think my will to re-engage in a game so completely is just gone.

Division 1 was another. I beat the main campaign with friends, did some Dark Zone, played some missions on hard, I think...anyhow, we went back with the first big content drop and the rules around gear had changed so drastically, that we just said fuck it and quit, never returning.

I’m old. I really don’t have the time or patience to learn a game only to have it change substantially.

I don’t need complex games, especially when it seems complex for the sake of keeping you busy or selling you currency.

Any time I catch even a whiff of that sort of thing, I’m out. It’s not [insert game here], it’s me. ;)