Rabite (Mana) 2%
Koromon (Digimon) 0%
Bunny (Star Ocean) 0%
Grunty (.hack//) 5%
Mishy (Falcom (Ys/Kiseki)) 3%
Dogoo (Neptune) 0%
Suezo (Monster Rancher) 0%
Felyne (Monster Hunter) 2%

Having been on a Dragon Quest kick as of late, I've been thinking a lot about how awesome slimes are, and got to thinking: Are they the greatest mascot for a JRPG franchise? I limited the poll to one mascot per franchise, even though there are other options for some (Moogles for Final Fantasy for example). I tried to limit the options here to characters that are in every game/almost every game (I considered putting in Pamela from Atelier but felt like that was a stretch), if you feel I missed an important one let me know.

Additionally: What's your favorite mascot-based JRPG spinoff (i.e. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Jack Bros., Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon)

#1 Posted by Relkin (1214 posts) -
#2 Posted by Rorie (5867 posts) -

Hmm, I don't know if Mr. Drippy would count since he's only in the first Ni No Kuni game, but he'd be a strong contender. If not, then I vote Prinny.

Staff
#3 Posted by TheFlamingo352 (377 posts) -

I've never played a Dragon Quest but the answer is clearly Slime.

#4 Posted by TheWildCard (700 posts) -

Slimes are pretty good.

#5 Edited by Zeik (5221 posts) -

Jack Frost I think wins for me on imagery, but Prinny's have more memorable personalities. So I guess it's a toss up.

Dragon Quest Slimes are arguably the most iconic mascots period, but I don't have as strong an attachment to them as some.

#6 Posted by Rejizzle (1135 posts) -

No Caption Provided

I can't believe you'd do Chu-Chu like that.

#7 Edited by niko_of_death (247 posts) -

@rejizzle: Chu-Chu is only in one game AFAIK.

@zeik said:

Jack Frost I think wins for me on imagery, but Prinny's have more memorable personalities. So I guess it's a toss up.

Dragon Quest Slimes are arguably the most iconic mascots period, but I don't have as strong an attachment to them as some.

I think part of why Jack Frost and Slimes are my top 2 is I feel they really do the "unique" mascot encounters (i.e. the student Jack Frost in SMT If...) best. And although it doesn't really count Jack Frost personality wise is helped a lot by fan content.

No Caption Provided

#8 Posted by imhungry (1139 posts) -

I tried out Yokai Watch based almost entirely off the strength of how good and dopey Jibanyan looks but I still have to give up the vote to Slime, because they're the greatest.

#9 Posted by hermes (2629 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#10 Posted by cloudymusic (2134 posts) -

Moogles would be my pick.

#11 Edited by FrodoBaggins (2098 posts) -

Holy fuck this isn't even a debate. If you pick anything other than Pikachu you are kidding yourself.

#12 Posted by niko_of_death (247 posts) -

@frodobaggins: Are you looking at this in terms of "which one is the most iconic" or "which one is the best"?

#13 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2098 posts) -
#14 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7649 posts) -

@hermes said:
No Caption Provided

Yes, you make a ...err strong argument.

#15 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4498 posts) -

I was thinking about moogle or cactuar.

#16 Posted by FinalDasa (3231 posts) -

Oof this is hard.

Had to go with a Chocobo. They're soft, sweet, useful, and can change their design and still be recognizable.

#17 Posted by Efesell (4563 posts) -

I mean it's pretty hard to beat the very iconic image from one of the most enduring franchises in the genre. Many of the things on this list are just also-rans of the Slime anyway.

#18 Posted by Karmosin (379 posts) -

Have to go with Jack Frost He-ho

#19 Posted by chaser324 (8690 posts) -

@onemanarmyy: I was thinking the along the same lines. I don't know that the chocobo even is the primary mascot of FF. Moogles and cactuar seem just as prevalent.

Regardless, I voted slime.