Best old games NOT remastered

• 70 results
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I’m looking for the best older games (specifically 4th/5th/6th generation) that havent been ported, remastered, remade, or anything like that. I’ve been on a retro kick lately. If it helps, I’m into RPGs, platformers, shooters and action adventure games.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

God Hand.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Why no ports, out of curiosity? It would be much easier to play something like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on your PS3 than it would be to track down a PS2 copy, and it would definitely be cheaper. And if you must play it on the original hardware, well, you can always go buy a copy. Just using Nocturne as an example, it's the first thing that popped up in my head before remembering that it's on PSN.

Was Viewtiful Joe ever re-released on anything? Killer 7?

I remember enjoying Mega Man X8 a lot. X7 was, by all accounts that I've heard, a travesty, so perhaps avoid that one.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on GBA was never ported to anything, that's a damn good game. The Mega Man Zero series got a collection on the DS, don't know if that counts for you.

I just think that limiting yourself to games that aren't ports is a weird limitation unless you're specifically looking for more obscure stuff. Unfortunately, pretty much everything I've actually played and can recommend was given a port or re-release of some sort, and anything I can think of that didn't get ported up, like King's Field: The Ancient City, I haven't actually played.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cheetoman

GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Melee

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By supermonkey122

@justin258: I enjoy playing on the original hardware and I dont have a ps3 to get ps1 classics on.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mischief Makers is a criminally underrated classic. Because of your conditions I just checked, and I'm shocked that it never came out on virtual console.

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gladius: is a strategy game with some rpg elements about gladiators. I remember it being really good but, it has also been over a decade since I played it.

There is also a ton of Nintendo first party games from the Gamecube and N64 that have yet to get a virtual console release. Stuff like Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Efesell  Online

Mischief Makers is a criminally underrated classic. Because of your conditions I just checked, and I'm shocked that it never came out on virtual console.

Hell yeah.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jet Set Radio Future, depending on your definition of "best." It has a lot of rough edges, but man, it's still a cool game.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freedom Fighters is the only answer

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I recently bought a physical copy of Nocturne, and it was even cheaper than the digital copy of the game on the PSN Store. This is in Europe though.

kesith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Shadow Hearts for the PS2 or Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn. A lot of the stuff Working Designs handled in that era really.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@thechris said:

@justin258: I recently bought a physical copy of Nocturne, and it was even cheaper than the digital copy of the game on the PSN Store. This is in Europe though.

I double-checked myself on Amazon before making that post, but that was only a cursory look. Also, curious, since you're in the UK does your copy say Lucifer's Call or Nocturne?

@justin258: I enjoy playing on the original hardware and I dont have a ps3 to get ps1 classics on.

So games that have been remastered are fine, you're just going to play the original versions. Cool! While I'm on this Shin Megami Tensei thing, I'd also suggest Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.

Most of the stuff from that era that I have played and can recommend is also your normal top-shelf stuff that you've probably either already played or already know about, so I don't really know what else to bring up.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cikame said:

God Hand.

My work here is done

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Morrowind hasn’t received a proper remaster nor has Jade Empire to the best of my knowledge. Of course, there’s Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2, too.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By meteora3255

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door is one of Nintendo's best games and the fact that it hasn't gotten an HD remake still hurts me. Geist was also an underrated GameCube shooter. Both KOTOR games are also fantastic.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 1 & 2

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Viewtiful Joe 1&2. Those games hold up quite well due to style but they still lack the crispness of an HD game unfortunately.

Morrowind hasn’t received a proper remaster nor has Jade Empire to the best of my knowledge. Of course, there’s Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2, too.

It depends on your definition of a proper remaster, both of those games had their native resolutions boosted on the XBO. Which is what most remasters tend to be anyway.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Clock Tower 3 was one of the most disturbing games I've ever played. I feel like more people should experience it but that's such a niche pick that it'll never happen.

Vagrant Story, god dammit.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE INCREDIBLE HULK ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Yea I’ve played pretty much all the significant, well remembered games from the time I specified. I am looking for less well known games but I thought that would be pretty guaranteed given the criteria.

MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MisterSims

indigo prophecy

parasite eve

no more heroes

viewtiful joe

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay... Second time you posted the same answer I was going to give.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9de71ea580
deactivated-65f9de71ea580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Einhänder.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: It’s a featuring Dante from Devil Cry Series copy yes.

MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was just thinking about brutal legend the other day... that was a cool game.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really adored Boulders Gate Dark Alliance 1&2 as a kid and would love to play them again

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suikoden 1 and 2.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

• Metal Gear Acid. I was interested in playing it and I do not have a PSP or a Vita. I wished that Konami would re-release it on PSN.
  • Onimusha 3: Demon Siege and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. I think that they are best games of the series. I am surprised that Capcom has not gone back to that franchise during PS3/XBOX 360 era.
  • No More Heroes. It has awesome characters and music. I know that the exploration of their quasi-open world is janky but the story makes up for it.
  • SMT: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2. The times before Persona games got a little easy. Has amazing art direction, character design and music.
  • Silent Hill 1-3, Shattered Memories and Origins. The "HD Remastered" of 2 & 3 was a poorly made cash grab and the franchise deserves better than that. I'd be happy if direct port or emulation was released. Maybe Blue Point has a crack at it and makes a better HD remastered. I don't know about Homecoming other then remembering that it came out at the same time as RE5 and it looks terrible. Downpour was okay except for the weak monster design.

That's all I could think of for now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@penguindust said:

It depends on your definition of a proper remaster, both of those games had their native resolutions boosted on the XBO. Which is what most remasters tend to be anyway.

Yes, the definition of remaster is central. For Morrowind I meant something along the lines of Skyrim Special Edition where it wasn't just up-rezzed, but rather the majority of the models and textures were redone. Converting the game to the Skyrim SE engine would be expected, as well. There is a "Skywind" fan-mod that has been in the works for years now, but it might be better for Bethesda to do the heavy lifting on this one to get it out.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheChris

@doctordonkey: God Hand has been rereleased on the PSN store, or am I misunderstanding what the OP is asking for?

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire Panzer Dragoon series.

I don't know how they could do it and capture the art style with a top to bottom restoration of the older games (or even if they should), but I would love that. The disappearance of rail shooters is pretty disheartening. I'm glad at least Rez has gotten so much love over the years, but I'm always sad that Panzer Dragoon is forgotten.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:
@atastyslurpee said:

Okay... Second time you posted the same answer I was going to give.

*cue Twilight Zone music*

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The longest journey

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zelyre

Original X-Com Enemy Unknown

Freespace 2 - played it at 1280x1024 back in 2000. Stock game would still look pretty sharp today.

Diablo 2

TIE Fighter

Gauntlet Legends on the Dreamcast. I recall this game looking sharp as fuck outputting to VGA. Hell, the whole Dreamcast library.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath hack and slash loot games. Pretty much the same game, but with different paint.

Ring of Red - One of the early launch-ish era PS2 games. Kind of reminded me of Tactics Ogre/Valkyria Chronicles. Only reason I didn't loathe my PS2 the first year I had it.

Most PSX era Squaresoft games. Bushido Blade, Einhander, Tobal no 2, Eirgheiz (just kidding, what a POS), the non-FF RPGs, Brave Fencer Musashi, the first Parasite Eve.

Colony Wars on the PSX. Space shooter. I think it even supported 640x480 resolution. It looked sharp as hell.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jadegl

@liquiddragon: I came here to mention the Onimusha series. I think that with all the remakes or remasters of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and the like, the fact that this series has been pretty much ignored is a real shame.

Also, I know it will never happen, but give me all the 16 bit era Sailormoon games in a collection. I don't even need them translated (but that would be nice) and they don't have to be remastered (although that would be nice). Oh, and give Sailormoon: Another Story the FF remake treatment like what they did with the games on the DS+3DS.

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I want a Silent Hill remaster of 2 3 AND 4...just not slapdash.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Castlevania Lament of Innocence is one of my favorites on the PS2.

SnakeEater321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis

Though Jurassic World Evolution comes out in 1 week and that is the best spiritual successor we could ever ask for

decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jet Set Radio Future, depending on your definition of "best." It has a lot of rough edges, but man, it's still a cool game.

I'd love to see this come as well. The licensing on the music must be a nightmare.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@jadegl: Yeah. Dawn of Dreams I never got to try so I'd love to have a go at it. The first 3, I realize it's probably my nostalgia talking and I'm sure they don't hold up particularly well but, it's a real shame they're just lost in time. I'm guessing it's just not worth it for Capcom to renegotiate with all the actors 'cause you know they're all about that cash grab.

breq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spawn: In the Demons Hand - Dreamcast

Ultimate M.U.S.C.L.E - Gamecue

Cubivore - Gamecube

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flashback.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm going to restrict myself to mostly console stuff here, otherwise I'd probably be here all day extolling the virtues of various old-ass CRPGs, which I don't think would be especially useful unless you're willing to go down a deep dive. (seriously, I could go on for a bit. Ask me about Temple of Elemental Evil or Might and Magic VII sometime.)

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Gamecube. Apparently costs a pretty penny these days, but it's still my favorite Fire Emblem game)
  • Suikoden III (PS2. The only Suikoden game I've played any serious amount of, but I remember really enjoying my time with it, a couple of minor gripes aside. People also really like Suikoden II)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS1. While I'd suggest the remake of the first game as the essential old-school Resident Evil, that breaks the whole "no remasters" rule. RE 2 is probably the best under that condition.)
  • Heroes of Might and Magic II (While Heroes III is the fan-favorite, I think II has probably aged a little better presentation-wise and is as good a jumping on point for the series as any.)