Best Shotgun in Gaming?- The Debate to End Debates

• 139 results
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What's the best shotgun in gaming? This is the big question only the manliest of man of men gamers can understand. When you play a shooter and you pick up the shotgun for the first time, you think to yourself "Ok, let's see just how bad this bad boy is," don't you?

Personally I'm gonna have to go with what's probably the most predictable one here, the gnasher from Gears of War. I don't think there's another shotgun in gaming with that amount of swiftness and grace WITHOUT sacrificing the oomph factor(unless you count fully automatic shotguns.) And that headshot.........is there a better shotgun headshot in video games? Probably not.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

The Doom super shotgun. For reference:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This badboy from Wolfenstien: The New Order is fucking incredible.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Haha, the Gnasher. I remember the good old days of playing Gears of War 2, getting chosen as host, and that shit was pretty much a machine gun of rage inducing death. Good times.

The shotgun in Doom and Doom 2 is always really satisfying for me. Watching enemies turn into a pile of pixely guts never gets old. Halo 4's shotgun was pretty damn beast too, though the range on that thing... geez.

My favorite though has got to be the semi automatic shotgun in Red Dead Redemption. Playing online and having low level fools roll up with donkeys thinking they're gonna take you out... *BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM* Nope.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about best shotguns, but I KNOW about the worst shotgun,

The shotgun from Perfect Dark 64 is still the worst.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gnasher Shotgun

Was pretty much Gears of War online getting a clean 1 shot close quarters kills is so damn satisfying in online.

Loading Video...

Winchester Model 1887

in Modern Warfare 2 (pre patch). Sure they were pretty much OP as shit they still were awesome as hell. I mean just look at this fucker go.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RE4 has a pretty phenomenal shotgun!

I'll bite at any chance to put up an RE4 gif... Maybe make a
I'll bite at any chance to put up an RE4 gif... Maybe make a "Reload Animation" thread?? (Wink, wink, subtlety)
doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The Gnasher, not even a question. Ok, the shotgun from the first F.E.A.R is pretty damn close.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

All the shotguns in doom are the best shotguns.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

Soooo many good shotguns ! Most recently I thought the tri barrel shotgun in the order 1886 was preeeeety fucking sick, Id say its up there with the one from the new wolfenstein game. And the width of the blast is just ridiculous.

Loading Video...

Also loved the shotgun from FEAR and the flak cannon from UT if that counts as a shotgun.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I love me some video game shotguns. I know it's cheating, but I got attached to my awesome electric shotgun from Borderlands 1.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm fond of shotguns from Borderlands 2. The new Shadow Warrior had a pretty great shotgun too.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By artelinarose

The Brutal Doom shotguns are pretty much the best.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The autoshotgun really tears shit up in Left 4 Dead. Witches, tanks, they all melt when you've got an auto shotty. But nothin beats that super shotgun reload animation.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Fuck it, I'll be the one to say it, Halo 1 and 2 shotgun. /FlameShieldOn

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How come no one mentioned the bulletstorm shotgun?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know it's not from an age-old classic, but that Bulletstorm shotgun is pretty good.

No Caption Provided

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KILLING FLOOR HANDS DOWN.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason the first one that came to mind for me was the Soldier of Fortune shotgun. I don't really remember how effective it was, but it sure sounds like it packs a punch.

Loading Video...

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM's SSG is a fantastic example, but I just might go with Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun when the chips are down. It feels right. It. looks right. Using it in combination with Duke's boot is awesome.

Honorable mention to the Mossberg 500 in Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. It fired fast and was very dangerous out to considerable distances.

Coincidentally, the Mossberg in 'cruiser' configuration is what DN3D's shotgun is based on.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

Doom 2's Super Shotgun, followed by FEAR's shotgun.

If you have not played those games, then you have no business in this thread.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By alanm26v5

So are we leaving out the Unreal Tournament Flak Cannon to make this a fair fight?

Doom still probably wins

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Doom.

Can there be any dispute?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damodar

I agree that the best shotgun comes from DOOM, but I think I actually prefer the regular single barrel. It's not quite as powerful as the Super, but it still tears shit up and I think it works better with the pace of DOOM. They both feel, look and sound sooooooo good though.

Since nearly all of the responses so far are FPS games, I'll say that I think Devil May Cry and Bayonetta have some preeetty cool shotguns, as do the Metal Slug games.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Doom

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Bulletstorm & Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honorable mention to Spaz-12 from MW2. Range on that thing was DUMB.

I'm partial to RE4 shotguns. Felt great to mow down crowds of enemies with that thing. I have to go back and play so I can remember which one was best.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Doom 2 Super shotgun

Rages' Shotgun is pretty great

Serious Sams shotgun and coachgun are great too

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this even a discussion? It's the Doom 2 super shotgun end of story. Just listen to the sound it makes and that's all you need to experience.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F.E.A.R. Shotgun is secret best shotgun

Loading Video...

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Blackout62

16 years of gaming says I will gladly talk shop about video game shotguns.

The question to ask with a good video game shotgun is: "Can I dance with this gun?" Those shotguns that show they're heft with lengthy recoils and pumping or reloading animations are inelegant and overcompensating devices. It is a fact that at proper range the shotgun will kill in one shot, to not do so means the game designers did not have the courage to meet the challenge of how the shotgun will operate in their game yet at the same time to overemphasize the power of the shotgun by giving it a slow graceless nature makes it clumsy and frustrating. The best shotguns will allows movement with a magnificent flow of steps between targets: ironsights or no; shoot, move/pump, repeat till reload. The flow of these actions should only be disrupted by the player being conquered by the constructs of the game meant to stop them, never by the functions of the shotgun. The system of the weapon should be easily understood and seen as a challenge not a limitation. From perhaps even the first blasting of an enemy the player should understand the range of the shotgun's one shot killzone. Soon after they should understand the time it takes to pump the actions and the reload time from empty to full. These should all feel naturally complementary to the flow of gameplay so the shotgun does not feel like a hindrance.

Now I have a special place in my heart for the Half-Life 2 shotgun, which I am ashamed that no ones brought up. It is the most marvelous example of how I've described video game shotguns above and is further complimented by game design that encourages the player to have the shotgun as they're mainstay. That said I am completely willing to disregard it because after a stint of obsession I realized how overrated HL2 is. So lets say the first shotgun in Battlefield 3. That gun rocks. The Bioshock 1 shotgun is probably worse than I think it is but darn was that a game where you needed it.

The Wolfenstein: The New Order shotgun though, that's a bad shotgun. It's boxy design gives it a machine like nature so different from the tubular designs of the greats of shotguns that its appearance seems ill fitting. It is appropriately semi-automatic and entirely disrupture of the flow of the shotgun because of it. Furthermore its power level is not conducive to good work as only the lowliest of enemies will take its shot and fall in one hit. Lastly its reload it annoyingly long and cumbersome.

Outside of player wielded shotguns, I love the shotgun wielding mercenaries of Infamous 2. Fighting all the crazies with superpowers and then this inconsequential looking mercenary slides up at great speed on a trail of ice and blasts Cole McGrath's face full of buckshot and knocks him to the ground. By the time your fighting those guys the blow only takes an only slightly more than minimal bit of health, when your health is low you'll curse one of those jerks offing you. But when you can take its blow you'll find yourself saying "dang, that was appropriately punchy. That single attack did wonders to disrupt the spree of lightning violence I was on there. Well done guy with a shotgun. I must kill you now though."

And I have somehow just first drafted my thesis on video game shotguns and would gladly further this conversation. Someone ask me about video game dual-barrel shotguns.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Nick

Doom 2 double barrel shotgun hands down!

edit: even the reload animation/sound is great, so satisfying!

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM 3 had a pretty good shotgun.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

F.E.A.R. Shotgun is secret best shotgun

Loading Video...

Beat me to it. The right answer.

In a game of cool guns, it's the only one I wanted to use.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Loading Video...

Not the best clip, but this gun wrecked fools in multiplayer.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks and feel: Doom super shotgun (or any classic double barrel really).

Gameplay, as in totally broken in its respective game: Homefront's 870 express shotgun. Because having a DLC buckshot shotgun with the hipfire range of a sniper rifle is of course an awesome idea!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I'm a fan of this one. Mainly for what it does to animals.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a ton of fun shotguns for a variety of different purposes.

But on the most basic level, the doom shotgun is unmatched...the fucking thing will hit enemy's with almost full power across the map. That's difficult to dispute.

Though RE4 and Evil within's crowd controller style is my most favourite style.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MVHVTMV

@shindig said:

Loading Video...

I'm a fan of this one. Mainly for what it does to animals.

That's not even a shotgun though, it fires .700 Nitro Express rounds.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MVHVTMV

In any case, aside from the obvious choice of the original DOOM shotgun, maybe the AA-12 in Modern Warfare 2 with a suppressor and rapid-fire... It wasn't "good" per se, it had almost no range, but I probably had more fun with it, sprinting around corners and unleashing this practically unavoidable wall of death, than any other shotgun I can think of.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i miss with the shotgun more than any other gun in shooters, i don't know what it is, i just can't stand still when dudes are that close.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to assume that the people claiming that the Gears shotgun is the greatest shotgun are just to young to have played Doom.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the shotguns from Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By emfromthesea

All my first picks have already been mentioned, so I'll give credit to the energy shotgun in Advanced Warfare. It might not be the most damaging weapon, but it makes up for that with presentation.

Loading Video...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I dunno I'd probably say Doom? Although while not quite being a fan I think a lot of people underestimate the Halo shotgun.

BullyDemise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The shotgun from Painkiller is a strong contender for this prestigious award, in my humble opinion. Not only does it have canisters of liquid nitrogen attached to it for freezing people, it also sends dudez flying 30 feet in the air if they get too close to it.