Best skill set to learn for getting a job in the industry

HotSaucerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone. I just saw the post for the job opening of video producer on the west coast team. This made me think that I should have learned video production years ago so I could at least be considered as an applicant for the position, considering it would be a dream job for me. It has got me thinking about what the best skills to learn are that would be most applicable to get into the video game industry, on either side (press/dev). I feel like the Dan Ryckert method of writing hundreds of reviews on your own, being persistent, and then lucking out is probably not the best way to do it anymore. With so much content being video based these days, is learning "video production" a valuable use of time? What about programming? I realize this is a really broad question, but was curious if anyone in the community here has gotten a job in the industry and what path they took to get there. Sorry if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I really am interested to hear from people who have succeeded with employment in this area. Thanks duders and dudettes.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By rethla

Clearly learning videoproduction aint required, thats what you do on the fly while in the industry ;)

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what you mean with "the industry", but if you're talking about game "critiquing" then on-screen charisma is everything these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

God, don't even try.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I'm going to be a buzzkill. Online media? It's a shitshow and not even worth the effort. If you're lucky, you'll make a living making someone else a fortune.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Teddie

If you're just doing it on a whim, then don't bother. Video production would be your best bet, since it can be applied outside of just video game coverage if your "Plan A" falls though.

But as for coding, the class at my school started with about 40 and is now down to about 12 only halfway through the degree. The video game dev industry is a horrible place to work, and if you don't have an almost lifelong passion for coding then it would just make you miserable, or worse.

Think long and hard about whether either of these things are actually something you're passionate about, or if you're just in a bout of regret or grass is greener syndrome (the latter of which I just now learned is actually a thing!).

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably accounting. Every large business needs accountants, and it usually pays really well.

On the other hand, while you might be working for EA, Sony, or CBSi, etc. and therefore technically be in "the industry," you'd have almost no direct connection to video games. But if you're really good at it, maybe you eventually end up as a VP of something and start getting involved on the creative because you're too important to be ignored. Wouldn't count on it though.

Accounting really is an underrated career path though; so long as you aren't bored to tears by spreadsheets.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

God, don't even try.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I'm going to be a buzzkill. Online media? It's a shitshow and not even worth the effort. If you're lucky, you'll make a living making someone else a fortune.

This is a pretty salient point. It can be done, but you've really got to show grit, and be sure you're doing something different. There's a reason GB is successful, and it's because they're doing things in a way that others didn't for a while, and possibly can't do today. I would recommend taking a good look around at the popular content out there and try to figure out what's missing. In my industry I try to look at things and ask "what sucks about this" or "what's the worst part of this" and figure out how to make it better be it through automation, UX design, or something else. There are 2 ways to be really successful - do it better, or do something not currently being done. Both are tough, so just know your challenges and risks, and if you're serious - commit.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you say "video game industry" I think of game dev. I've been working in the industry for about four years, so if you want pointers on the dev side I can help, but if you mean reviews/media, other people have already made some good points.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is being a video producer a dream job for you if you are just now thinking you should have learned it?

Looking at the video game industry, I think the first prerequisite is to shove social issues into any kind of coverage you create.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By MezZa

Networking. Social networking I mean. Most people aren't the best of the best in their field, so knowing the right people to get your foot in the door with is always going to be the best way to get attention. Now, since it might be hard to just go out and meet the people you need to chat with, I'd recommend making content. Learn your skill, do it on your own time, and go to events with people who do that same skill or would be looking for that skill. If you are a good video producer or become a good one, you can always make video content here along with blog posts and whatnot to get your work in the public eyes (just make sure it inspires discussion. If youre just advertising a YouTube channel and not interacting with the community it's going to get shut down.)

Point is to do something worthwhile that people can see. Maybe someone who needs your skills will see it. If not, go out and show your thing to the people who need it. You have to do a lot of legwork. It's not as simple as an office job where you acquire the skill and then just show them a resume when they have an opening. Make yourself stand out and be noticed before the opening is even there.

gaurav_thakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For different jobs different skill set needed. For getting any type of job you need to be very Confident, must have an idea about your profile for which you are looking a job (like for technical profile or non-technical profile), you must be hard-working, you must have a positive attitude towards everything.