• 143 results
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Citing "sources directly involved with the new system," 1UP has posted the most comprehensive report yet on the current worst-kept-secret-in-the-game-industry, the next PSP. They're putting their bets on "PSP Go!" as the name of the redesigned handheld, which will contain the same internal hardware and run the same games as the original (albeit in download-only form, since the unit is said to lack a UMD drive). Purportedly, over 100 games will be available for sale online when the unit launches in Japan in September and October/November in the U.S., in both 8- and 16-gigabyte configurations.

Here's a mockup 1UP ginned up of what the new unit could look like. Note the internal controls are the same as on the current PSP, since both systems need to be able to run the same games. That means no second analog control, as previously rumored.

HEY, ARTIST'S RENDERING ONLY. IMAGE COURTESY 1UP.
This is of course all speculation until Sony makes an announcement (which the story says will come at E3). Does this look like something you'll be interested in? It seems like more of a DS-to-DS-Lite sort of incremental upgrade than a complete overhaul to me.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Citing "sources directly involved with the new system," 1UP has posted the most comprehensive report yet on the current worst-kept-secret-in-the-game-industry, the next PSP. They're putting their bets on "PSP Go!" as the name of the redesigned handheld, which will contain the same internal hardware and run the same games as the original (albeit in download-only form, since the unit is said to lack a UMD drive). Purportedly, over 100 games will be available for sale online when the unit launches in Japan in September and October/November in the U.S., in both 8- and 16-gigabyte configurations.

Here's a mockup 1UP ginned up of what the new unit could look like. Note the internal controls are the same as on the current PSP, since both systems need to be able to run the same games. That means no second analog control, as previously rumored.

This is of course all speculation until Sony makes an announcement (which the story says will come at E3). Does this look like something you'll be interested in? It seems like more of a DS-to-DS-Lite sort of incremental upgrade than a complete overhaul to me.
spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By spiceninja

No second analog nub is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I'm sick of touchscreens, I like buttons and analog sticks, personally. Also, if they name their system PlayStation Portable Go! I won't buy one.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Baillie

Exact same thing, but looks a bit cooler? Bummer :(

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By insanejedi

wat? no second analog nub? just wat?

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Satune

It looks like a cell phone with the sliding screen.
Does that mean with no UMD drive ill have to rebuy all my PSP games again?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

Can you really call it the PSP 2 until there is a significant hardware change? Specifically, the second analog nub that *has* to be put on this thing at some point in the future. This is just another redesign. The only significant difference is the move to digital downloads, which should totally wait until the true successor to the PSP.

FlappyHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By FlappyHands

Put the damn second analog stick on there and I'm sold.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By fr0br0

Not having the second nub is one of the stupidest decisions Sony has made in years. Probably the biggest complaint from both owner and developers for the PSP was the lack of the second nub for better controls. I understand that the second nub would make old PSP games obsolete, but really...WHO CARES?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoG

No UMD drive? Download only? Major turn off right there. I like physical copies of my games, for collection and securty reasons. No thank you, PSP Go!

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nick69

looks like that verizon voyager, but without the texting and such...and a bigger screen

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Hef

It's been what, 4 years?  Make a new one, and give me a second analog stick.  You might actually get some good 3rd party supoort if there's more power and a second analog stick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has never bought a PSP, this interests me. Not sure if it'll interest me enough to actually buy one, but the possibility isn't ruled out.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By TobyD81

Whatever the controls, ditching the UMD was my biggest wish. This is a buy.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Not_Rage

Yet another fake PSP mock-up. Theres been hundreds of them

momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By momentarylogic

ugh <----- the shortest comment I have ever made (wait, damn.)

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PS3RG

I'm very interested to see what the final product will be. I think Sony should fore-go any touch capabilities and add some accelerometer technology and make some inexpensive DLable games that would take advantage of this. Without a major hardware change (ie:second nub stick) this is more of a PSP 4000 compared to a true PSP 2. I'm also very interested in what the price will be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bottom line: If there is no second analog stick, I aint buyin'.

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By nickystixx  Online

No.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PercyChuggs

Another analog nub would just lead to even more straight up ports of old PS2 games. It's been proven, with the Syphon Filter games, Resistance: Retribution, and God of War, that you can do 3D on the PSP just fine without the second stick.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Steve_C

I'm kind of disappointed. If they went the donwload-only route, i wish that was when they unveiled the true PSP 2 or whatever, with more power and even more features.

It seems like the same old PSP. No need for me to upgrade. I guess it makes sense though not to completely supercede that platform since there's a ton of PSP games recently announced and still to come out.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JJOR64

God I hope this thing has two thumb sticks.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Steve_C

I don't think it would make sense to have two thumbsticks. As useful as it would be, the PSP is the same-power wise, so any game that would use a second thumbstick in a significant way is pretty much cutting out the userbase with any current PSP (1000, 2000 and 3000 models).

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#25  Edited By JackiJinx

You know the rumor I heard? I heard you can get pictures of sparkly bunnies and unicorns on the new PSP if you scratch Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band up up, down down, left right, left right, throw two eggs at the record with the letter A on one and B on the other, then wirelessly connect to the record player via the PSP Go! and manage to run Vista smoothly on the record player.

I heard it from a reliable source.

BlackCyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackCyan

How could it not have a 2nd analog stick? What are they thinking!?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB

Isn't Playstation Portable GO! redundant? The "Portable" implies that it is "to go." Also, second analog stick or death. Think about it; why would Sony leave it off? As far as backwards compatibility, you could just not enable it for older games. Then for breaking compatibility for newer stuff, wouldn't these digitally distributed games only work with the PSP GO! anyway? Sony will only be further fragmenting their user base, which is something they probably shouldn't do, considering how much of a clobbering the system has taken compared to the DS in the US.  There will undoubtedly be those (like me) who own a PSP and would rather just keep the one they have until a true sucessor is needed/offered, or enough good games are released on the service to warrant a buy. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath that the latter will happen.

AquaMaroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AquaMaroon

I don't see how the inclusion of a second analog stick could be detrimental at all; why wouldn't 1st-gen games play fine? They just don't take advantage of the second stick, that's all.  And I think that's a cop-out move for Sony if they want to go the route of releasing a slightly-better-than-the-one-you-already-have PSP.  Boo.  This 2nd-gen device, in my opinion, should be a substantial upgrade; why do all these companies think it's alright to give us minor enhancements and market them as completely new products?

Edit: Apparently, I agree with AndrewB on that point.

m1k3ines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By m1k3ines

Since we dont know the final design i wouldn't count a second stick out. an artist's rendition could be way off from the final product. since i still have a launch psp, i might check this out when it is released.

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Scratch

I was hoping it would be a complete overhaul. Meaning the old PSP games would not  be compatible, new features and look etc. But hey, this is still officially a rumour.

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scratch

I was hoping it would be a complete overhaul. Meaning the old PSP games would not  be compatible, new features and look etc. But hey, this is still officially a rumour.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By stephengotlost

If it is suppose to play the same games as the PSP, the second analog would be great, but new games utilizing it would alienate the original PSP install base.

Gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gunharp

I think the second iteration of a PSP is what I am most interested in. However if done right...a UMD-less PSP redesign would be pretty snazzy. Done right in my opinion would be that it includes more internet features such as PSP trophies and linking with your Playstation Network Account.

Classic_Gs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Classic_Gs

If this ends up being it, call me disappointed.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Steve_C
AndrewB said:
"Isn't Playstation Portable GO! redundant? The "Portable" implies that it is "to go." Also, second analog stick or death. Think about it; why would Sony leave it off? As far as backwards compatibility, you could just not enable it for older games. Then for breaking compatibility for newer stuff, wouldn't these digitally distributed games only work with the PSP GO! anyway? Sony will only be further fragmenting their user base, which is something they probably shouldn't do, considering how much of a clobbering the system has taken compared to the DS in the US.  There will undoubtedly be those (like me) who own a PSP and would rather just keep the one they have until a true sucessor is needed/offered, or enough good games are released on the service to warrant a buy. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath that the latter will happen."
The only difference is lack of UMD and built in flash memory. Having more power to work with could potentially make games that utilize it not backwards compatible on the original PSP models, but that isn't the case. All these downloadable games will be available on the Playstation Network, meaning that anyone with a PSP can download and buy them regardless of model. It already happens with some games though they've had a physical release too, but the US release of Patapon 2 will be download only.
NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NinjaHunter

More like the PSP Go away!

*raises hand for a high five*
ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

only problem is i wouldn't be able to rent psp games from gamefly anymore

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fbomb

Here's my quick take. What store will want to sell these? Retailers don't make much off of a console, and typically make their money off the games. Why would a retailer want to stock something that doesn't promote a physical game to sell? I wouldn't. Nice idea, but digital distribution seems a little ways off.

Also, the shoulder buttons would definitely not be on top of the screen, since that's the part that slides up. I know it's a mock-up, but come on...

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FlipperDesert

No way to play physical games you already own for the PSP? No second analog nub? Get out, Sony. Just get out.

... That being said, I haven't actually got a PSP, so I'll probably get this if it's out when I can afford one.

johnbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By johnbomber

PSP Go! = DSi

small changes that you don't need.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AuthenticM

Guys, this is not the PSP2.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JoelTGM

no second analog stick means I'm not buying it. 

kboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kboy

The first mistake was taking anything 1UP has to say seriously.
This is why I come to Giant Bomb and not 1UP.

Schuultz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Schuultz

I was actually slightly interested until you said download only. Sure, the lack of a UMD-Drive will allow the system to be more quiet, slimmer and extend its battery life, but I still gotta pass. I want to be able to actually 'touch' the games that I own, I want to be able to look at manuals, etc. Which is why things like the now dead Phantom, Steam downloadable Games or this don't interest me.

Sony should rather work on making a second PSP, this time with a second analog.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King

How many worst kept secrets are there in video games? It seems to get thrown around more than it should, like:

PSP2
Marvel vs. Capcom sequel
New Kid Icarus

That's all I can name.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Fade2Gray

DS to DS Lite was a big upgrade, but the PSP 'Go!' still has to overcome one huge hurtle, developing an actual game library worth shelling out for. Untill they do that I'm going to continue being glad I ditched my PSP long ago.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

imo it looks horrible