Biggest "Game(s) I wish I played but never got around to"?

• 61 results
Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By michaelfossbakk

Too many times have I either intended to buy a game and then lost interest by the time it came out or actually bought it only to loose interest or get sidetracked before I could finish. So, GB, what's your biggest game(s) that you always meant to play but never did?

I'll start: Half-Life 1, KOTOR, Fallout 3, Mass Effect series, Tales of Vesperia, and Batman Arkham Asylum.

EDIT: Wow! So many games... Now I have a few more to add to my list - thanks to you guys: Resonance of Fate, FF 7, FF 10, Uncharted 2 & 3, The first Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed series, Ocarina of Time, and Shadow of the Colossus. But, you'll be happy to know I started playing HL1; 2 hours in and loving it!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Define "biggest".

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

I don't know what is meant by 'biggest' but the game I've most wanted to play but never had is the King's Field game that was released on the PS2. I adored the first two and really wanted to play the PS2 version but I never owned a PS2 and it was never ported to anything else (I don't think it sold very well).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

Witcher. I can never get past the first town. I bone that waitress and then find myself playing other games, forgetting about The Witcher.

Also always wanted to play the System Shock games.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By falling_fast

my pile of shame is giant and super embarrassing.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deus Ex: HR and Kotor are really the only ones I regret not playing.

I guess I could go play both of those right now but old game is old and I hate actually playing Deus Ex.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By iam3green

i have a bunch of games that i never got to finish. i am kind of working on them slowly. there are other games that i plan on getting also.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePaleKing

After watching the Yakuza: Dead Souls video, I wish I had played the other Yakuza games. Same as Patrick I had always meant to but not go around to them, and now that there are 4 of them I can't see myself doing it; I would have to play the other 3 first, and after playing the first one I'm sure I would be worn out with the series.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Final Fantasy VII

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@damnable_fiend said:

And no matter how hard I work and how many miles I run to reduce that pile it somehow grows and piles on more and more, deepening my misery.
joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By joshthebear
@AhmadMetallic
@damnable_fiend said:

And no matter how hard I work and how many miles I run to reduce that pile it somehow grows and piles on more and more, deepening my misery.
This pretty much sums up my situation.
Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Draxyle

I was proud of myself to finally go back to the original Deus Ex for the first time just a few months back, which held up fairly well despite the aggressively aged parts of it.

But my biggest shame is Planescape Torment. I love the heck out of Baldur's Gate and the other infinity engine games, but I never know this similarly styled game even existed until last year. I picked it up on GOG but.. I have a hard time playing it. It just aged a bit too much for me and I can't handle the janky UI and movement. I even modded it (with most of the GOG recommended mods), but it wasn't enough. I do intend to go back to it.. but it's a hard sell for me.

Thief 2 is a similar situation. I bought it just a couple months ago.. but same thing. Can't push myself through it. The game doesn't give me enough information to handle it's complexities in the way a modern game would. Though this might be solved by reading the manual, this was made in that period where one actually mattered. It was just a bit overwhelming to me.

Heavy Rain is on also my shame list, I really aught to play it before I accidentally get spoiled someday. I just don't have the motivation for whatever reason.

And just as a general note, with some exceptions I missed a whole giant section of PC gaming back when I was younger, when things like Counterstrike, Quake, UT, and Half-life were huge. I missed out on that entire scene and you can never really go back to that era again (I did eventually get around to playing Half-life 1 just a couple years back at least).

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SoleVillain

I hate final fantasy games. I credit this to never getting a chance to play them when they were in their prime.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BPRJCTX

Too many to list, some of them i even have at home...

Just don't have the time or will to start them...

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SSully

I never played shadow of the collasus or ico sadly. But I recently got the hd collection, so I should fix this sin soon enough

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Draxyle

@SoleVillain said:

I hate final fantasy games. I credit this to never getting a chance to play them when they were in their prime.

I can sympathize with this. Once you miss the initial boat for a Final Fantasy game, it's hard to go back. I started with Final Fantasy 7 myself, and I loved the heck out of the entire PSX trilogy of 7, 8, and 9. But when I go back to play the older ones (1 through 6).. they're still good, but I don't get close to the same reverence for them as someone who played them when they were new. Age also holds back 7-9 for the same exact reasons for a modern gamer.

And of course, the series took a cliff dive after FFX (I know this is subjective, but there have been drops in content quality). I can't imagine someone getting into the Final Fantasy franchise now with much success.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By butano

Final Fantasy VI, VII, and the Metal Gear Solid series. Grew up with Nintendo until the Xbox came out, and came around to getting a PS3 about 2 years ago. Played MGS 4, but without any knowledge or connection to characters and their backstories, I really didn't care much for it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

The Simpsons Game. I played the demo when it came out and really enjoyed it, but it took years before it dropped to a price I was willing to pay. Now it's been sitting on my shelf for a very long time. Same thing with Valkyria Chronicles , but that one came with the added benefit of me selling my PS3 shortly before discovering that game and then spending a long time trying to get one again.

Skimming over my backlog, these are a few more of the really big ones I wanted to play for a long time but can never seem to get on them:

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By EVO

Pretty much every point & click adventure game, particularly the LucasArts ones.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Zacagawea

Deus Ex: HR and Kotor are really the only ones I regret not playing.

I guess I could go play both of those right now but old game is old and I hate actually playing Deus Ex.

Still early for deus ex hr. that was the first in the series I've played and had a blast with it
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Aronman789

I wish I could get into the old Black Isle isometric RPGs, but the dated graphics seem to blur into each other, which makes it very hard to see and hurts my eyes, hope someone makes a kickstarter for re-releasing those games in HD or something.

I also wish I could get into all the JRPGs people keep recommending, but that I can't play due to not having the needed console or because portable game prices are completely unreasonable. $40 for a DS game? Hell no.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By MetalBaofu

@ThePaleKing said:

After watching the Yakuza: Dead Souls video, I wish I had played the other Yakuza games. Same as Patrick I had always meant to but not go around to them, and now that there are 4 of them I can't see myself doing it; I would have to play the other 3 first, and after playing the first one I'm sure I would be worn out with the series.

Just start with 3. It has a nice enough little section that explains what happened in 1 and 2.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#23  Edited By Wemibelle

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have always REALLY intrigued me but I just can't stand the ancient interfaces. Lucky for me, they are remaking them.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure
@wemibelec90 said:

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have always REALLY intrigued me but I just can't stand the ancient interfaces. Lucky for me, they are remaking them.

I am in a similar boat. I always enjoyed watching a friend play BG1 back as a kid but I recently tried to play it only to give up, mostly because the game was not good at conveying how stats, attacks, and characters related to one another. I had many times where my main character (a warrior) would just randomly die in one attack but then fighting the same enemy would take no damage. I could not really decipher the combat log to learn from any mistakes and it made playing the game a hassle. Also the game was not very good at even hinting where to go next for story related stuff (a common problem for that age of gaming, really). News of the remakes have me excited as I might be able to finally play through them. 
Fasckira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fasckira

Theres been quite a few games that I got super excited for their release but by the time they did come out I was just like, "Meh...". Biggest culprit was Blur but I blame Steam for that: at the time I didn't have a console, just the PC but Steam listed Blur as being released on the a specific date, alongside the console release date. Was delighted, but then about a week before I went to preorder it and it was missing from Steam.

Checked in the local HMV and they didn't have a release date for the PC version at all. Checked on the forums and it seemed to be a common problem, it was like the PC version had just vanished. By the time it did come out I had just got bored with the idea and never went back to check it. Since then however a friend of mine has said he played it and really enjoyed it but the multiplayer side is quite quiet, kind of removing the purpose of playing it for me.

I may still pick it up at some point on the console, get a bit of split screen action on the go, but Im certainly in no hurry!

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beforet

Really, I could say my entire steam library, but Witcher 2 in particular.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Xbox360/PS3 exclusives. Red Dead Redemption the most...probably, along with Dark Souls.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Looking at my backlog...

Yakuza 3 - At least I'm in the middle somewhere.

Yakuza 4

Crackdown

Phantasy Star 2 -Played at least half over the yaers at some point before I got the PS3 collection.

Phantasy Star 3 - Basically finished the the first game and the 4th game so I would like to see it at some point.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - In the middle.

Halo 3 - I've beat one, ODST and Reach but I had trouble jumping into this after beating the sequels.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - I beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma but that apparently didn't prepare me for this.

Baldur's Gate 1 - I've beat 2 and Throne of Bhaal but never played more than a couple of hours of the first one.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Skies of Arcadia Legends

Metroid Prime 2 - Beat 1 and 3 just haven't got around to this one.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - Beat everything except the main story.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Beat everything except the main story and also don't have a save anymore.

Uncharted 2

Vanquish

Amped 3

Contra: Shattered Soldier

God Hand

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Alundra

Vagrant Story - Got to the final boss and never won. Lost that save ages ago and haven't fought my way since.

Well at least this doesn't include my Steam or GOG backlog.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

Dear Deus Ex 1, one day I will get beyond your second area.

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RWBladewing

Jade Empire. Bought it when it first came out, still sitting around somewhere wrapped in its original packaging. Also Left 4 Dead 2 when my friends were actually still playing it. Playing now isn't quite the same.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck

The MGS series, mostly. Never had a PS2 or PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid series - never had a PS2 and only got a PS3 recently, though I am planning on playing them at some point in my life.

Aaaand maybe... Final... Fantasy? I don't know, I never cared or liked that series, but I guess it might be because I never played any of the older games when they were fresh...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#33  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Quite a few PC games I used to see in stores in the 90's and early 2000's that I really regret not picking up, as they have become impossible to find. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi, Clive Barker's Undying, Cybermage: Darklight Awakening and the KKnD series would be at the top of the list, but there are hundreds more.

If this is about games I actually already own, there are already almost 600 of them that I haven't (or have just barely) played, and on top of that list I'd probably put Republic: The Revolution and Resonance of Fate.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darkmoney52

Planescape Torment. I was too young when it came out, and never quite got around to getting it until a few weeks ago. Played it for a couple hours with it crashing at fifteen minute intervals and haven't touched it since.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35  Edited By Hizang

I'm working through my pile of shame slowly but steadily, out of all of them though funnily enough I'm sad about not really touching Muramasa Demon Blade.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By ventilaator

I really really plan to play Planescape at some point.

For about 5 years now.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#37  Edited By BeachThunder

Put me down for Planscape Torment too; I've started playing it three times, but I haven't ended up going further than the first area =(

...someday...

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captain_clayman

oh god the list, it's too huge.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

RDR

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By jakkblades

Virtually any Sony exclusive. Never owned a Sony console. So no FF games, no MGS, no Jak Ratchet Killzone or Thatgamecompany games. I'd like to play all those at some point.

Avatar image for misterbananafoam
MisterBananaFoam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By MisterBananaFoam

I never finished Half Life 2, Skyrim, or Alan Wake, and I haven't played any new games this year besides maybe Gotham City Impostors. I'm eagerly awaiting Max Payne 3, though.

Oh, and Bulletstorm, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Assassin's Creed Revelations (I have it, I just want to beat 1, 2, and Brotherhood first), Mario Party 9, and maybe Binary Domain.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mandude

Half Life. Would almost say Mass Effect, but I actually played the demos and just didn't like it. Still felt as though I was missing something though.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By GunstarRed

There was a pretty long period where I kept telling myself I was going to play Fallout 3...and then God of War 3 and then Deus Ex. I have a feeling I will never play any of these games at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Too many to list. I should really play the Hitman series, the Final Fantasy series, the Deus EX series, the metal Gear Solid series (although, I have played Metal Gear Solid), the Silent Hill series, the Splinter Cell series and the Devil May Cry series, among many others. Much embarrassment because of these.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ares42

Ocarina of Time. Absolutely loved A Link to the Past, but never owned a N64 and it always comes out as a top 3 on all "best game ever" lists. Unfortunately at this point I'm pretty sure it's so outdated that even if I play it it won't have amywhere close to the impact it had when it came out.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Beyond Good and Evil

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SlashDance

Psychonauts.

And the dozens of steam games I never touched...

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By weegieanawrench

Assassins Creed 2, KOTOR.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Duder_Me

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. I played the first two.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By ddensel

Mostly stuff on consoles I don't own (PS2/PS3 and Wii). Metal Gear Solid 3, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Uncharted series, Wario Land Shake it, Super Mario Galaxy 2 etc.