Biggest surprise and disappointment from this year?

• 54 results
BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Surprise - Forza Horizon 4. I'm already declaring it my favorite racing of all time The PC version is incredibly smooth.

Disappointment - I know it really doesn't count, (unless you include the Nintendo Switch version) but I didn't get around to Wolfenstein II until this year. I was extremely let down. Couldn't even finish it.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Biggest surprise was Monster Hunter World. I never thought I would play a game 300+ hours that is called Monster Hunter. I would also add AC Odyssey as I love playing this game and I didn't like a single AC game since 2. Hollow Knight is also great surprise, my personal GOTY for this year.

Biggest disappointment is God of War which is boring all the way, nice graphics aren't everything and GoW proves it again. I would also add Ni no Kuni 2. I heard a lot of good things about this game but got bored after 15 hours, decided to quit and didn't touched it since.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Biggest surprise: No Man's Sky got out of early access this year

Biggest disappointment: The prices for Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash's DLC, and the RTX 2000 series of Nvidia GPUs.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Biggest Surprise: Celeste. My current GOTY. Platforming that has a low barrier to entry and an incredibly high skill ceiling with a ton of variety. The number of ways they find to make use of a simple air-dash mechanic is amazing. Also, the game looks gorgeous and has a (mostly) incredible soundtrack. Strongly recommend everyone check it out. One caveat: I played it on the Switch, and hoo boy my left thumb did not appreciate the positioning of the Joycon D-Pad.

Biggest Disappointment: Yakuza 6. After playing through 0 this year, I had really high hopes for 6. But the switch to the new engine seemed pretty rough (performance issues on my PS4 Pro, combat that felt floaty, etc.) and the story didn't hook me.