Bioware: Call of Duty is an RPG and we want that audiance.

  • 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for metal_mills
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (3539 posts) -
 http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5141/bioware-we-want-call-of-dutys-audience 
 
 

With Dragon Age II’s release imminent, senior producer Fernando Melo feels the sequel has far more reach than Origins, even potentially attracting the same kind of crowd that flocks to gaming’s biggest franchise, Call Of Duty.

Speaking to NowGamer Melo said: “We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”

There’s certainly logic in his thinking, and with individuals who failed to be enticed by BioWare’s original epic actually being swayed by the sequel – not to mention the upcoming demo giving gamers a chance to sample its goods first – there’s every change Dragon Age II may succeed in this goal. 


 
It's a sad day for RPG gaming when Bioware calls Call of Duty an RPG because it has level progression. Dragon Age: Origins was a call back to the classic RPG's and sold millions, more than Mass Effect 2, it's so clear there is an audience, a BIG one wanting deeper RPG's yet Bioware are just spitting them in the face for a crowd who already have their share of games and are content with them. It's insane.
Avatar image for animasta
#2 Posted by Animasta (14948 posts) -

only thing I hope for is CDProjekt bringing in those people for the witcher 2, that definitely seems deeper.

Avatar image for toowalrus
#3 Posted by toowalrus (13405 posts) -

They're not technically wrong, I guess. Zelda is a survival-horror game, too.

Avatar image for aronman
#4 Posted by Aronman789 (2738 posts) -

The way of the RPG is spilling over into the other genres, making them RPGs in a sense, but even without the level progression the basic idea of an RPG has always been in every game, you take control of this dude that does stuff.

Avatar image for kingzetta
#5 Posted by kingzetta (4497 posts) -

No shit. It's a group of 5 billion people.
There is no company in the universe that does not want that audience

Avatar image for eroticfishcake
#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7856 posts) -

They're aren't totally wrong since it does have some light RPG elements in the multiplayer.

Avatar image for re_player1
#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (8057 posts) -

I think Bioware is smart for being able to look at their competitors, realize the strengths from those brands, and implement similar gameplay styles into their games. A bad developer has a narrow view of the industry by only looking at games in a certain genre while a great developer looks at the industry as a whole. If there was an amazing leveling system in the next Cooking Mama game I would hope that developers like Bioware would look at it and undertsnad why it's so great. 

Avatar image for mcghee
#8 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

Except if Bioware would actually make a modern warfare RPG like Mass Effect I would actually play it, and I've never played a Call of Duty game.

Avatar image for mazik765
#9 Posted by mazik765 (2372 posts) -

Chill out. He's just saying that these games have pieces that are traditionally found in RPG's. They are not going to make Dragon Age an FPS.
 
And with Fallout 3, I totally agree with him. I know people who hate RPG's who love the crap out of Fallout 3, which I would most definitely consider an RPG.

Avatar image for ghostiet
#10 Edited by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

I interpreted it as kind of mocking. Seriously, too many people associate stats and attribute points with RPG, completely ignoring that the term stands for ROLE PLAYING GAME. Remember the flack Mass Effect 2 got? People talking how they felt more attached to their Borderlands characters than Shepard, because you couldn't put points into lockpicking in ME2?

Avatar image for fwylo
#12 Posted by fwylo (3571 posts) -

I don't remember allocating anything in a CoD game. 
 
Though there were rewards for shooting people in the face and they gave me more guns to use when playing lots.  The concept of an "unlock" is not an RPG element to me, just because they use the concept of "XP" to gauge how much you play and when to classify you as the next level does not increase your character's abilities.  The only thing that is in control of these skills is you as the player.  An FPS can never merge with an RPG to the point where allocating skill points becomes a factor, for then it is no longer an FPS anymore. 
 
The idea of progression isn't a concept strictly related to RPGs, though all RPGs probably have it.  It is a concept related to video games, some have it, some don't.

Avatar image for kjellm87
#13 Posted by Kjellm87 (1735 posts) -

I would love to see COD go turn-based battle and experience the reaction from people

Avatar image for hailinel
#14 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

First JRPGs are dead, and now Call of Duty is an RPG?
 
Oh, Bioware.

Avatar image for ch13696
#15 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

Seriously? And Final Fantasy XIII is a sports game.

Avatar image for phrosnite
#16 Edited by phrosnite (3528 posts) -

Everybody wants the CoD audience... Also with games like Diablo and now that all games have rpg elements, the RPG has lost it's meaning. I mean Steam lists Bioshock as an RPG...

Avatar image for pie
#17 Posted by Pie (7364 posts) -

It's political correctness gone mad!

Avatar image for cornman89
#18 Posted by Cornman89 (1600 posts) -

I don't see why it's sad. A bajillion people play Call of Duty. It's a big pie. I'd want a piece of it too, if I was BIoware, especially if there are comparable design elements that might serve as a foothold into another market.

Avatar image for demonkd
#19 Posted by demonkd (31 posts) -
@Metal_Mills:
i think what he means is those games have rpg element yet some people would never realise it...how he came to that conclusion is beyond me
Avatar image for menseguez
#21 Posted by Menseguez (193 posts) -

Don't complain about a perceived lack of depth in Dragon Age II until you've played the game.

Avatar image for danimal_furry
#22 Posted by danimal_furry (1490 posts) -

I can't complain about Bioware wanting to add a little elemnt from other game styles. However, I do like a game that is done perfectly and doesn't try to be everything to everyone.    

Avatar image for hailinel
#23 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" I don't see why it's sad. A bajillion people play Call of Duty. It's a big pie. I'd want a piece of it too, if I was BIoware, especially if there are comparable design elements that might serve as a foothold into another market. "
If I were making a video game, I'd be a fool not to want Call of Duty's audience, but I'd also be a fool to dress up Call of Duty as something it's not.
Avatar image for takua108
#24 Posted by takua108 (1596 posts) -

How is this a bad thing? I'm still playing Blops while listening to podcasts just about every night, like a crazed addict. I prestiged once because I'd never done it before, and then I hated it because I lost all of my stuff, and I was just getting into using a SPAS with a suppressor. Then I got to 50 again, and immediately prestiged again. 
 
This just in: humans like to increment integers.

Avatar image for mutha3
#25 Posted by mutha3 (5052 posts) -

Not really.
 
Then again, ME2 isn't much of an RPG either.

Avatar image for metal_mills
#26 Posted by Metal_Mills (3539 posts) -
@Menseguez said:
" Don't complain about a perceived lack of depth in Dragon Age II until you've played the game. "
Actually I know people who has played it. He said it was shit. I haven't though but don't say it has near the depth of Origins.
 
Removed playable races.
Removed origin stories.
Dumbed down combat to "Press button, watch something cool happen"
Removed isometric view on PC version
Cut down dialog to good/bad/kick-ass. All gray area choices are gone.
Looks worse than Origins.
 
Mass Effect 2 cut things that were problems in the original. DA2 has cut everything praised about Origins.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
#27 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6116 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: Yes,yes, kudos to you sir for creating this thread, and the part of fallout not necessarily being called an RPG...just lol. 
 
I dont know,from such epics like Kotor, Baldurs Gate, Mass Effect and Dragon Age:Origins we come to this Bioware.
 “We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements – you’re putting points into things – but they don’t necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we’ll attract a much bigger audience.”
I just don't know anymore.
Avatar image for slaker117
#28 Posted by Slaker117 (4873 posts) -

Don't see anything wrong with that. CoD has a great level progression that works for the type of game it is. It's not a crazy indepth system, but you can't deny that it's there.

Avatar image for s0ndor
#29 Posted by S0ndor (2719 posts) -

Bioware is right, you're just over reacting with your "spitting in the face" nonsense. It's marketing, grow up.

Avatar image for mordukai
#30 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" They're aren't totally wrong since it does have some light RPG elements in the multiplayer. "
Light? Gaining experience points, leveling up, gaining leveling points, using said points to upgrade your character, gaining/buying better equipment. I would say FPS borrow heavily from RPG's. 
Avatar image for muttinus_rump
#31 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

Role playing game.

Avatar image for ryanwho
#32 Edited by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

Bioware is just stating the obvious deevolution of the genre. Heretic used to be a shooter with RPG elements, but the western interpretation of "innovation" has turned "shooter with RPG elements" into RPG. For years now, shooters have been "innovating" by taking RPG elements and RPGs have been "innovation" by taking shooter elements. How long are we supposed to pretend RDR and Fallout New Vegas are completely different genres. I hate where RPGs are going, but for once Bioware is stating the obvious and I'm glad someone is.

Avatar image for somejerk
#33 Posted by SomeJerk (4077 posts) -

I hide behind cover, pop up and shoot things, watch cutscenes and make decisions, switch weapons, is it an RPG?
 
No, it's a cover-based shooter.
 
Not looking forward to more Bioware games getting RPG awards they're not deserving of.

Avatar image for themangalist
#34 Posted by themangalist (1870 posts) -

RPG is just Role-Playing. Any game that doesn't involve the real life person in the game is literally a role playing game. No shit.

Avatar image for jjor64
#35 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for animateria
#36 Posted by animateria (3341 posts) -

I guess you role-play a military guy... 
 
Then again that makes most games RPGs... 
 
Not sure if the leveling mechanic is strictly an RPG thing.

Avatar image for mordukai
#37 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

The hardcore CoD player will never pick a Bioware game and that's a fact. The percentage of people who are big into shooters are just not built for RPG. Most of them don't even know CoD 4 took it's MP progression from RPG's and when you try explaining it to them they think RPG is a Rocker Propelled Grenade. 
Now I am not saying all HC CoD players are like that but the majority of them won't give an RPG game the light of day. Their brain is just not wired for something more then "Point end of gun and shoot"  . Most have that mentality of "No MP then it's not worth my time" . 
 
It does seem Bioware not only wants them but are changing their games because in order to get said crowd. I am happy they want more people playing their games but I don't have to agree to that direction they are taking. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
#38 Edited by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Wait, what? I think they're confusing RPG with basic story/gameplay elements.

Avatar image for ryanwho
#39 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@somejerk said:
" I hide behind cover, pop up and shoot things, watch cutscenes and make decisions, switch weapons, is it an RPG?  No, it's a cover-based shooter.  Not looking forward to more Bioware games getting RPG awards they're not deserving of. "
So as long as Bethesda games leave out cover, they're still RPGs huh. God it must be a pain keeping up this charade.
Avatar image for ryanwho
#40 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@themangalist said:
" RPG is just Role-Playing. Any game that doesn't involve the real life person in the game is literally a role playing game. No shit. "
Words like idiot savant and preschool must give you a fucking migraine, going through life interpreting compound phrases by the makeup of each word. Labor day, you have to labor all day, duh.
Avatar image for jimbo
#41 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

Except that doesn't mean they enjoy playing RPGs, it just means they are inclined (like most of us) to chase levels like a carrot on a stick.  "Putting points into things" should not be the defining characteristic of an RPG - role-playing should be.  We've allowed the meaning of a genre label to be usurped by some of the incidental mechanics these games just happened to have.  Yes the video game terms 'RPG' & 'CRPG' are derived from P&P RPGs, but they were called that because of the role-playing, not because of stats, levels & d20s.
 
Will we eventually get to a point where we ignore what FPS stands for and just equate that with "putting points into things" too?

Avatar image for zippedbinders
#42 Posted by Zippedbinders (1198 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @themangalist said:
" RPG is just Role-Playing. Any game that doesn't involve the real life person in the game is literally a role playing game. No shit. "
Words like idiot savant and preschool must give you a fucking migraine, going through life interpreting compound phrases by the makeup of each word. Labor day, you have to labor all day, duh. "
Why are you so angry?
Avatar image for fourwude
#43 Posted by FourWude (2274 posts) -

Fuck off Bioware, you're heading down the wrong road. 

And Dragon Age was shit.

Avatar image for bbqbram
#44 Posted by BBQBram (2508 posts) -

RPG mechanics in shooters, old news. BioWare wants the huge marktet share CoD has, no shit. 
 
But in the end there's people who enjoy atmosphere, narrative, esthetics, etc - and people that want to vicariously kill stuff. And a lot more of the latter.

Avatar image for slaker117
#45 Edited by Slaker117 (4873 posts) -

  @Mordukai said:

" The hardcore CoD player will never pick a Bioware game and that's a fact. The percentage of people who are big into shooters are just not built for RPG. Most of them don't even know CoD 4 took it's MP progression from RPG's and when you try explaining it to them they think RPG is a Rocker Propelled Grenade. Now I am not saying all HC CoD players are like that but the majority of them won't give an RPG game the light of day. Their brain is just not wired for something more then "Point end of gun and shoot"  . Most have that mentality of "No MP then it's not worth my time" .  It does seem Bioware not only wants them but are changing their games because in order to get said crowd. I am happy they want more people playing their games but I don't have to agree to that direction they are taking.  "

For a good three plus months CoD4 was all I played, and I continued to play it throughout the year. For another good two plus months MW2 was all I played, and I continued to play it throughout the year. I'm still playing Reach MP almost daily. I love to "point end of gun and shoot", and I care about ranks, headshots and K/Ds.
 
I also think Bioware is among the most prolific modern developers out there. Go fuck your elitist self.
Avatar image for jimbo
#46 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -
@Zippedbinders said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @themangalist said:
" RPG is just Role-Playing. Any game that doesn't involve the real life person in the game is literally a role playing game. No shit. "
Words like idiot savant and preschool must give you a fucking migraine, going through life interpreting compound phrases by the makeup of each word. Labor day, you have to labor all day, duh. "
Why are you so angry? "
Probably because the dumbass, window-licking "Role-playing = having a role! Doy!" comments you always get in these threads are infuriating.
Avatar image for ryanwho
#47 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@Zippedbinders said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @themangalist said:
" RPG is just Role-Playing. Any game that doesn't involve the real life person in the game is literally a role playing game. No shit. "
Words like idiot savant and preschool must give you a fucking migraine, going through life interpreting compound phrases by the makeup of each word. Labor day, you have to labor all day, duh. "
Why are you so angry? "
Pointing out stupid doesn't take much anger.
Avatar image for mordukai
#48 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
"   @Mordukai said:

" The hardcore CoD player will never pick a Bioware game and that's a fact. The percentage of people who are big into shooters are just not built for RPG. Most of them don't even know CoD 4 took it's MP progression from RPG's and when you try explaining it to them they think RPG is a Rocker Propelled Grenade. Now I am not saying all HC CoD players are like that but the majority of them won't give an RPG game the light of day. Their brain is just not wired for something more then "Point end of gun and shoot"  . Most have that mentality of "No MP then it's not worth my time" .  It does seem Bioware not only wants them but are changing their games because in order to get said crowd. I am happy they want more people playing their games but I don't have to agree to that direction they are taking.  "

For a good three plus months CoD4 was all I played, and I continued to play it throughout the year. For another good two plus months MW2 was all I played, and I continued to play it throughout the year. I'm still playing Reach MP almost daily. I love to "point end of gun and shoot", and I care about ranks, headshots and K/Ds.   I also think Bioware is among the most prolific modern developers out there. Go fuck your elitist self. "
DId I say all are like that? I said most. MOST. Do you know what MOST means?  Try reading and comprehending next time. 
Avatar image for frankfartmouth
#49 Posted by frankfartmouth (1048 posts) -

Gah. The classic RPG is being drained of its marrow and mutated into some mass market, focus-tested, EA-spawned Frankenstein's monster. This is truly horrifying to hear from Bioware.

Avatar image for mindost
#50 Edited by MindOST (219 posts) -

People are taking this WAY out of proportion. 
  
1) Nowhere does it say that "We at Bioware are going to start making modern war shooters" (Though really, I think Bioware's take on a modern shooter could be cool) 
2) Don't take an offhand comment as the company gospel 
3) Bioware can make any kind of game they damn well please
 
Also, as for the definition of RPG, time for a history lesson: 
 
RPGs were originally based of PnP games like Dungeons & Dragons. Those were role playing games because you created a character and then played AS that character. They were about making choices and progression as a character. Games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest took inspiration from D&D, so they too were called "RPGs" even though there was little-to-no real role playing involved. This lead to two distinct but tangentially linked genres: The JRPGs, which followed the popularity and format of FF and DQ; and WRPGs, which were more rooted in the actual role-playing and decision making aspects of the original pnp games.  
 
In reality, most JRPGs aren't "real" RPGs because they usually lack any of that all-important "RPing" aspect. RPG is just  the traditionally accepted name of the genre based off it's roots. This doesn't make JRPGs in any way lesser or inferior, it just makes them a different genre, and makes it confusing when trying to argue whether a certain game is an RPG or not.