• 130 results
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#101  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Square-Enix for me, but I'm fine with Bioware. I can't really consider a poll like this valid, as I fully expect the results to swing the other direction if the same question was asked one week before Final Fantasy XIII comes out.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By vendetta
@ryanwho said:
" @VIGGO123 said:
" Bioware for me... I really don't like JRPGs "
Funny, people seem to like FF12's battle system more when its in Dragon Age. "
I loved FF12's battle system. It was the boring story and annoying characters that got on my nerves.
Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bioware. Because the combat's funner in their games, and I tend to enjoy the storyline more. 

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Rebirth1337
BioWare easy. Though if it had been, BioWear VS Square VS Bethesda. I would have said Beth
rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By rmills87

BioWare, BY FAR.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#106  Edited By Snail

BioWare. Unquestionably.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By SonicFire

See, Square now is not what it was 15, or even 10 years ago. During the SNES - PS1 eras I'd play every game that square made just because I love them so much. But looking at the current gen, what have they made to write home about?? 

We'll see about FFXIII, but for main console (non-handheld) games, all they've done is the Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery...if you're going to put those up against Mass Effect and Dragon age...yeah, there's a no brainer. 

If you're looking for a publisher actually putting out interesting things in JRPGs, Atlus has been strong over the last few years, even though they don't have a fraction of the square enix budget.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By shadows_kill

out of those square but atlus and level 5 are better.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ryanwho
@Vendetta said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @VIGGO123 said:
I loved FF12's battle system. It was the boring story and annoying characters that got on my nerves. "
Which is fine. I personally couldn't stand how needlessly long the dungeons were. I just resent the idea that people ignore the clear evolution FF12 was over its predecessors, and the obvious fact that Dragon Age built onthat, not anything else because that set the new standard. Not KOTOR which was vastly more primitive of Baldur's Gate which was even more primitive. This was a baby step ahead of FF12 in evolution, the ai uis are mechanically practically identical to anyone who's actually played both(clearly not people in this thread). I also don't like people ignoring Bioware's piece of shit Sonic JRPG in this debate. That's all. There are legit reasons to love and hate both devs, just don't revise history is all I'm saying. Act like an adult, internet, things are still there even when you're looking away from them.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By sopranosfan

Bethesda from the last decade my favorite RPGs in order are 

1. Fallout 3
  2. Dragon Age
  3. FFX
  4. Oblivion
  5. Mass Effect
So with Bethesda having spots 1 and 4 compared to Bioware's 2 and 5 and Square only having position 3 It would seem like Bethesda would be my favorite.
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#111  Edited By Valkyr

Bioware, I loved Mass Effect 1 and now that they have enough money to spare, they are going bananas with the AAA voice actors and the awesome marketing campaigns. Square Enix has been shit since it is in fact Square Enix, we all loved the old Square, Nomura and Kitase are nothing without Sakaguchi, they just don't get that JRPG lovers only want the classical FF experience but with gorgeous graphics instead of this shit of paradigm shift or gambit system, just an active time turn based system, if they want to invent crazy battle systems, they should do it with another IP

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Azrail

bioware because i prefer consistently better games

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By GeekDown

Bioware.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Brunchies

bioware, I haven't played enough square games to make a decision on that.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#115  Edited By vendetta
@ryanwho said:
" @Vendetta said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @VIGGO123 said:
I loved FF12's battle system. It was the boring story and annoying characters that got on my nerves. "
Which is fine. I personally couldn't stand how needlessly long the dungeons were. I just resent the idea that people ignore the clear evolution FF12 was over its predecessors, and the obvious fact that Dragon Age built onthat, not anything else because that set the new standard. Not KOTOR which was vastly more primitive of Baldur's Gate which was even more primitive. This was a baby step ahead of FF12 in evolution, the ai uis are mechanically practically identical to anyone who's actually played both(clearly not people in this thread). I also don't like people ignoring Bioware's piece of shit Sonic JRPG in this debate. That's all. There are legit reasons to love and hate both devs, just don't revise history is all I'm saying. Act like an adult, internet, things are still there even when you're looking away from them. "
I can see where you're coming from. I didn't mind the length of the dungeons just because I loved the combat system so much. My opinion on the story/characters is more an opinion, as well. There may be people who loved both. All in all, though, I still never finished FF12, making it the only FF released in America that I haven't beaten. I tried going back to it a couple of years ago and still couldn't get through it.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116  Edited By Dalai

Yeah... I chose Bethesda.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By Diamond

Honestly, Bioware is just popular now, that's why people vote for em.  Nothing has beaten the old Square classics like Chrono Trigger.  Considering a lot of the kiddos playing games today never even played the RPG classics, it's obvious they'd go with who's hot today.

JamesValdes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By JamesValdes

I have had two X Boxes die on me while playing Bethesda games. So I choose C. (BETHESDA!!! LOL)

skippyscissors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By skippyscissors

I'll vote Square just because of Chrono Trigger. But I really enjoy playing both sides of each RPG spectrum.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#120  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Diamond said:
" Honestly, Bioware is just popular now, that's why people vote for em.  Nothing has beaten the old Square classics like Chrono Trigger.  Considering a lot of the kiddos playing games today never even played the RPG classics, it's obvious they'd go with who's hot today. "
Yep 

@ryanwho:
 I started KOTOR yesterday and about 5 hours into it (according to Steam anyway) and I know exactly what you're getting at. So far from playing it FF12 while similar as far as combat (though much less flexible and very few options) any sort of tactics menu in KOTOR is almost non-existent, though honestly given how limited skills and such are it really isn't a huge issue in KOTOR. While I never played Baldur's Gate for an extensive amount of time if it is anything similar to KOTOR I can't see it being more advanced, though like i said I have spent very little time with the game. DA:O looks more like the FF12 gambits than anything in KOTOR to say the least and Baldur's Gate too I imagine.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#121  Edited By toowalrus

If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said Square.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#122  Edited By MildMolasses

Square > Bioware > Square-Enix

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By MachoFantastico

The only good Square Enix game released in the past few years as been The World Ends With You. The rest have been your generic JRPG's, and let's be honest the Japanese roleplaying game desperately sticks to it's old outdated gameplay mechanics. Western developed RPG's now dominate gaming, and one of the reasons for this change is Bioware. 

Bioware all the way in my opinion, there not perfect but they know how to develop a genre and try new things.... maybe it partly comes down to overall tastes but I strongly feel that Japanese developed RPG's need to take note of more western developers games. 

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By r0k1ll

Square games are now held on nostalgia, whereas bioware actually now makes great games. If you were to ask me right after kotor came out, I would say Square. 

But Bethesda is still fuckin badass

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By The_Ish
@rjayb89 said:
" If I were a young lad, Square Enix most definitely, but now my <3 belongs to BioWare.  And GB, presumably. "
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By PureRok

Square Enix, but for Dragon Quest, now; the last good Final Fantasy was IX. Bioware's games are all nearly identical, even the only one of theirs I like. I found it hilarious when Bioware said that JRPG's problem was their "lack of evolution".

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127  Edited By Branthog
@Magresda said:
" @Branthog said:
... the very linear JRPGs which are more like watching a movie with a couple pointless QTEs (at least, in my experience of playing that one Final Fantasy game, ever -- which I think was VII or VIII). "
Wow.  "
After all these years, I finally checked wikipedia to see which game it was. Turns out it was FF VIII. Definitely turned me off of JRPGs (but not entirely) and definitely off of Final Fantasy. While JRPGs tend to be more about cut-scenes and convoluted plot, Final Fantasy (again, my one exposure to it) just felt like this giant on-rails movie that occasionally paused to let me do things I didn't care about that didn't impact the game in any way, except as a gate-keeping-point to say "okay, now you can move on to the next cut-scene". I didn't feel any investment in any of the characters and the story felt like a poor knock-off of some Disney movie aimed at little girls.

Maybe the other 74 Final Fantasy games are a lot better, but that one game really kept me from every feeling compelled to give the franchise another go. Now, I just kind of feel like I do with the Jersey Shore. I vaguely know it by reference and osmosis due to all the people around me that know it and that's it.
Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Magresda
@Branthog said:
" @Magresda said:
" @Branthog said:
... the very linear JRPGs which are more like watching a movie with a couple pointless QTEs (at least, in my experience of playing that one Final Fantasy game, ever -- which I think was VII or VIII). "
Wow.  "
After all these years, I finally checked wikipedia to see which game it was. Turns out it was FF VIII. Definitely turned me off of JRPGs (but not entirely) and definitely off of Final Fantasy. While JRPGs tend to be more about cut-scenes and convoluted plot, Final Fantasy (again, my one exposure to it) just felt like this giant on-rails movie that occasionally paused to let me do things I didn't care about that didn't impact the game in any way, except as a gate-keeping-point to say "okay, now you can move on to the next cut-scene". I didn't feel any investment in any of the characters and the story felt like a poor knock-off of some Disney movie aimed at little girls.  Maybe the other 74 Final Fantasy games are a lot better, but that one game really kept me from every feeling compelled to give the franchise another go. Now, I just kind of feel like I do with the Jersey Shore. I vaguely know it by reference and osmosis due to all the people around me that know it and that's it. "
Seriously, you should give it another shot. Yes, the stories are linear but that's far from a bad thing - it's simply a 180 degree turn from what we've seen on the WRPG front the last five years. Another thing to keep in mind with the FF series is that every single one of them changes things up. VIII won't necessarily give you an idea of what the other ones are like. Especially since it seems like your main criticism is that you weren't invested in the story, since that's obviously the key change from game to game. 

If you absolutely despise story-driven games and turn based combat by default, I won't lie and tell you they're great games  - but basing your entire opinion of the genre on your experiences with one game is just narrow-minded.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Three times the charm I guess. We've had this JRPG versus WRPG two previous times.  All 3 times, the JRPG has lost.  I don't know why a poll came up. Maybe you should wait until after the next FF is released to then poll again & see if the underlying opinion has changed?

Bioware.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MikkaQ

Aaah well I was into Square games back in the day, when I was a kid, you didn't actually care about the overall quality of the plots, or the melodrama, or the easy gameplay. Then again, Square games when I was a kid were way better. I wonder if the crap they're pumping out would have been able to entice me were I a child today. I kinda doubt I would have fallen for that stuff. 

Now I play me some good 'ol Bioware games. The dialogue options and branching stories and morality stuff hooked me, and they're getting waaay better at making the choices less convoluted, and more impactful, so I gotta respect that. Bioware has at least evolved, while Squenix can't seem to break from tradition even if they try all the time . Just because a typical, cheesy lazily made JRPG uses the unreal engine doesn't mean it appeals to my western sensibilities, as much as they want it to. They need to keep their japanese rpg roots in terms of the cultural elements and such, but break from the crappy anime melodrama they're sticking to, and get some really well made stories. This isn't 1997 anymore.