Blinking White Guy NFT?

Avatar image for iamdanthemanstan
iamdanthemanstan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Don't get me wrong NFT's are easily one of the dumbest things ever created. I actually feel sort of excited to be alive at a time when something so stupid is going on. It's like hearing about people investing their life savings in pogs. However, there seems to be a lot of money involved. Even if we assume that some, or most, of it is due to money laundering, there is still a lot of money being thrown at NFTs. Now Giant Bomb is the original source for one of internet's favorite memes, Blinking White Guy. Could Giant Bomb make some money selling an NFT of Drew before this market inevitably implodes? You could feel bad for whoever buys it, but anyone that dumb seems to deserve what they get.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Might as well. But if this actually becomes a thing, I rather turn this into a fundraising opportunity for a charity akin to the annual Extra Life streams. That's something that I think the GB crew, the community and Drew can get behind as opposed to a cynical get rich quick scheme.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do not support NFTs in any fashion. It is a legitimately harmful process and there are infinitely better ways to raise for charity.

The_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you have a panda as your avatar and also hate nature so much

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

Do not support NFTs in any fashion. It is a legitimately harmful process and there are infinitely better ways to raise for charity.

This, I would lose a lot of respect for the site if anybody involved got into this racket(Not that I think they would, I would be very surprised).

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot said:
@efesell said:

This, I would lose a lot of respect for the site if anybody involved got into this racket(Not that I think they would, I would be very surprised).

Can we get a quick-and-dirty on why it's inherently sleazy/harmful, and not just "parting a fool with their money, soonish"?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

@efesell@the_t: I can't say that I was aware of NFTs being in the same conversation as climate change, but I have to ask about the actual difference in carbon footprints between NTFs and streaming video games for the sake of filtering out any biases and sensationalism.

Google searching this for an hour is just leading me down a rabbit hole, so if either of you know any creditable sources, I'm all ears.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Panfoot

@curseofthewise: Here is a decent article about the energy use, but the TLDR summary is that NFTs burn up a ton of energy, so when we REALLY need to be looking at ways at reducing environmental impact, NFTs is like burning garbage for fun. That combined with just how practically worthless they actually are is just...ugh.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By brian_

Does Giant Bomb even get to sell that or does that right belong to whoever made that gif?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@brian_ said:

Does Giant Bomb even get to sell that or does that right belong to whoever made that gif?

There are no rules to this stuff. People were almost immediately stealing art and selling it when NFTs were initially getting popular. Memes are far more difficult to actually track ownership/creators of, so I assume it's just anyone that can jump on it first gets dibs.

Regardless, nobody should be participating in any of this.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dear god please no.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@chaser324: Not only that, in this case it would be Giant Bomb selling the image of person who is no longer employed by Giant Bomb. That isn't illegal, of course, but it would feel extra scummy.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't anyone, even the potential buyer, make an NFT of this or anything themselves for nothing?

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

NFTs are bad on so many levels, that if Giant Bomb actually went into them (which I am sure they won't because they all know how fucking stupid and bad they are) I would let my subscription lapse for the first time ever. And I have been a member of the site from day one, and a subscriber as long as they have had a subscription model.
Why are NFTs so bad? Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1C5SYkFC-I&t=1s
He does a pretty good breakdown. And yes, there seems to be less harmful to the environment ways to do NFTs, but they are still stupid as fuck.