Blockbuster vs. Gamefly

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By yakov456

So it seems Blockbuster online finally is testing the gaming market out online. Personally I have been waiting on this for a long time, Gamefly is starting to feel a bit pricey. If Blockbuster keeps their current prices, there really is no reason not to switch. 

For the same basic options as Gamefly, I pay about half of their monthly fee with Blockbuster. Their two games out at once plan is almost identical in price when compared to GF's one game out at a time plan. Plus no extra charge for Bluray. We have been using both services, one for movies and one for games. BB always gets us the movie within 2-3 days of mailbox drop off. GF is a crap shoot, some times it's 2 days, sometimes it's a full week. It seems It would be a smart move to just combine the two for less money than GF. Anyone else checked this out yet and though it over?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

I haven't even looked into it. I'll check it out though.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By yakov456

I believe they just started today. It would seem BB's selection is a bit smaller, but I'm sure all of the big games will be covered. The positives seem to outweigh the negatives.

LordDaneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LordDaneil

From what I read a few hours ago on various other message boards. The Blockbuster rental service has an extremely long wait on renting new games. For example Madden 11 won't be available for rental by mail untill mid November. Alan Wake isn't available for rental until 8/31/10. Hopefully it is just launch day mishaps but if it if true than I have no use for it. If you are only interested in old games than Blockbusters service is way better just for the cheaper price.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

I don't rent games so I'm good. 

NegativeCreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NegativeCreep

I'm old fashioned. I prefer renting from an actual physical store. I can at least scream at an actual person when I take the game home and it's fucking broken.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yakov456

I didn't know you could find any stores that rent games anymore. Even if I could, I would still rent online, I'm lazy.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fjordson

My problem with renting at brick & mortar stores is that their selection always pales in comparison to something like GameFly.

The Blockbuster price isn't bad, but new titles aren't available for some reason. Even Alan Wake, which is a few months old, isn't available to rent until the the 31st. Mafia II isn't available to rent until December it says. I get new titles from GameFly no more than two days after release date, so I'll probably just stick with that.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

Now, I haven't rented a game in years.  I buy my shit, but if I was to pick one...I go with Blockbuster as I can just bike there. 
Now, I haven't rented a game in years.  I buy my shit, but if I was to pick one...I go with Blockbuster as I can just bike there. 
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By KuribosShoe

I've been in the beta version of the Blockbuster service for a few months now.  It seems totally fine.  Plus you can get movies if you REALLY want to.  Plus Blu-Rays for free!

all in all I'd say it's pretty good

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Gamefly don't send games to Australia, so blockbuster.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz

How is the shipping speed? That's key for me. Netflix sends out and receives DVDs within a day (or, at most, 2 days), but gamefly usually takes about 3-4 days. If Blockbuster is quicker, that would be all the incentive I needed to switch (unless the selection is crap).

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Babble
@NegativeCreep said:
" I'm old fashioned. I prefer renting from an actual physical store. I can at least scream at an actual person when I take the game home and it's fucking broken. "
You could avoid that with online rentals, I have never received a broken game from Gamefly, anecdotal sure, but they do state they check over the discs. It's also a lot cheaper, how much is a five day rental at a retail Blockbuster these days? $10? That is almost a month from Gamefly.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yakov456
@jukezypoo said:
" How is the shipping speed? That's key for me. Netflix sends out and receives DVDs within a day (or, at most, 2 days), but gamefly usually takes about 3-4 days. If Blockbuster is quicker, that would be all the incentive I needed to switch (unless the selection is crap). "
Well my girl has a BB online account, we live in Philly and they send our movies out of Philly as well. Needless to say we get the movies(and hopefully now games) insanely quick. Gamefly who is in Pittsburgh(closest to me) takes almost a week sometimes to get me my game. Kind of sick of it and the price.
@Babble said:
" @NegativeCreep said:
" I'm old fashioned. I prefer renting from an actual physical store. I can at least scream at an actual person when I take the game home and it's fucking broken. "
You could avoid that with online rentals, I have never received a broken game from Gamefly, anecdotal sure, but they do state they check over the discs. It's also a lot cheaper, how much is a five day rental at a retail Blockbuster these days? $10? That is almost a month from Gamefly. "

I have received a broken game twice from them but they sent out a replacement pretty fast. @KuribosShoe said:
" I've been in the beta version of the Blockbuster service for a few months now.  It seems totally fine.  Plus you can get movies if you REALLY want to.  Plus Blu-Rays for free!  all in all I'd say it's pretty good "
Good to know, thanks!
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

How much is the Blockbuster service?

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By BunkerBuster

Gamefly gives you money back...FREE money to buy games with. If that's not a nail in the coffin for Blockbusters scheme then I don't know what is.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DoctorOptimist

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By louiedog
@Babble said:
" @NegativeCreep said:
You could avoid that with online rentals, I have never received a broken game from Gamefly, anecdotal sure, but they do state they check over the discs. It's also a lot cheaper, how much is a five day rental at a retail Blockbuster these days? $10? That is almost a month from Gamefly. "
Agreed. I've had a Gamefly membership at two different times spanning about a year total. Both times I had quite a bit of free time so I used it to catch up on stuff I'd missed and ended up cramming a ton of gaming in. I never had a broken disc. I also like that I can have a game like Mass Effect or Halo 3 for three weeks and return a game that has a 6 hour campaign and no multiplayer after 3 days. If you finish a game from a B&M rental place in one or two sittings and have it for a week, you feel ripped off. If you have a week long rental and find out you need three weeks to play it to your satisfaction, you might end up in a situation where you paid the used price but still have to give it back.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jkz

Just signed up for a free trial of Blockbuster, and added some games to my queue. Oddly, even though the main site indicated that Madden 11 was "Available Now", when I added it to my queue it said it wouldn't be available until 11/30. I don't know whether than means that others have taken it out, or if it's just a glitch, but I got the same message when I added Kane and Lynch 2 and Mafia II to my queue. I hope those are available sooner, since I'd really like to compare Gamefly and Blockbuster's shippings speeds.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By turboman
@CitizenKane said:
" How much is the Blockbuster service? "
8.95 monthly 

gamefly is 14.95(ish?) after the first month
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yakov456
@CitizenKane said:
Keep in mind that BB is games and movies, you can mix and match, and no extra charge for Bluray

1 game out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 8.99  GF 15.95
2 games out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 13.99 GF 22.95
3 games out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 16.99 GF unavailable

They have free trials going on as well for anyone who wants to try.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ravensword

Blockbuster? that Dinosaur is still living? I think tis obvious that Mail Delievery rental is the way to go. Although, I do miss Hollywood Video and my gamecrazy. SOOOOO much better then Gamestop.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yakov456
@Raven_Sword said:
" Blockbuster? that Dinosaur is still living? I think tis obvious that Mail Delievery rental is the way to go. Although, I do miss Hollywood Video and my gamecrazy. SOOOOO much better then Gamestop. "
But the question isn't about mail delivery, they both are mail delivery.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By one_2nd

I'm too poor for that shit. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#25  Edited By citizenkane
@yakov456 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
Keep in mind that BB is games and movies, you can mix and match, and no extra charge for Bluray  1 game out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 8.99  GF 15.95 2 games out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 13.99 GF 22.95 3 games out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 16.99 GF unavailable  They have free trials going on as well for anyone who wants to try. "
3 games at a time is available from GameFly.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ravensword
@yakov456:

fair enough, I was mainly just ranting on Brick and morter rental shops anyway. I have never tried Blockbusters version of it because I never felt the need and dont see it even now that their doing games. Im quite happy with my Netflix and Gamefly services even if it may or may not be cheaper to just go Blockbuster for both. With Netflix I get streaminga dn with Gamefly I get reassurance that its a company that knows WTF they are doing when it comes to planning on getting games when tehy come out and they know WTF they are doing when it comes to that business in general. As a new competitior in this online market, Blockbuster has alot ot prove, and the fact that alot of their stores are closing and Blockbuster is on the verge of fileing bankruptcy dosent help either.
Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Garfield518

Neither.

Because neither service is available in Canada.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkin10362
@CitizenKane said:
" @yakov456 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
Keep in mind that BB is games and movies, you can mix and match, and no extra charge for Bluray  1 game out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 8.99  GF 15.95 2 games out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 13.99 GF 22.95 3 games out at a time, unlimited monthly- BB 16.99 GF unavailable  They have free trials going on as well for anyone who wants to try. "
3 games at a time is available from GameFly. "
Yep, 3 games at a time is $29.95
Also, 4 games at a time is $36.95 (I used to have it, but it's not really worth at times when no games are coming out and you don't care for the backlog)

I'm just going to stick with Gamefly, I used to have Blockbuster online for just movies, but after the Blockbuster closest to me closed down, I really had no need for it and switched to Netflix. The pros of Gamepass also don't outway the cons of Gamefly (People say it takes 4 days to a week to get a game, mine get to my house in 2 at most). Blockbuster online just seems useless to me now.
mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By mau64

Gamefly is cool, just don't expect to get the "new game" when its new, probably have to wait a little bit.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yakov456
@CitizenKane said:
" @yakov456 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
3 games at a time is available from GameFly. "
Oh sorry about that. I honestly had no idea. Whenever I look at my account page it only shows an upgrade to 2 games at a time. Seems pretty expensive though.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

I'll wait for Netflix to swallow up Gamefly. 

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KuribosShoe

Netflix has repeatedly said they have no interest in getting into video games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I miss Blockbuster. I really do. 

Being a kind of poor kid growing up, it was Blockbuster or nothing. I think I'm going to try this service just because I can't really fathom a world without Blockbuster. They've always done right by me, so I'll give this rental thing a shot.

hjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hjr

i wonder if gamefly will ever get as big as netflix, they have warehouses everywhere

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fracture

All the rental palces near me closed and I don't feel like trying to find one miles away to rent a game once in a while. I had a Gamefly account (twice) in the last couple years and both time I had the same problems with them. They were good at getting me the games I wanted for the first few months and then I'd hit some sort of wall where I'd have a week or 2 go by with them sending me nothing on my queue. I'd mail something out and it woudl take a week to even get a confirmation that they recieved it then like 4-5 more days before I'd ever even see the next game. 

Blockbuster woudl be better mainly because my hope is it's got a better turnaround. Although that lag time on new titles is BS. I wonder if they are trying to give their brick and moarter stores first crack at product? That would be stupid because of how many of those stores are closing now.
sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Jeeze, might as well ask whats better... torrent or megadownload. 
DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DespoticDave

I've been using Gamefly for over a year now and I'm pretty happy with service. For those of you still on the fence whether or not get get Gamefly, I'll give you guys a rundown on what it's typically like for me. Monday, September 13, I sent back Red Dead Redemption (XBOX). As of this writing ( Wednesday, September 15) I received an email from Gamefly telling me that on Tuesday, September 14, they have shipped the next game on my list (Halo Reach). How did they ship my next game so fast? They have this service called "FastReturn," all of the mailing envelopes have a bar code that can be scanned by the US postal service while on its way back to Gamefly. This is a really great idea for two reasons. First off, the game you ship back doesn't have to hit their warehouse before you get a new one. Once the post office scans it in, Gamefly is notified that it's on its way back and will send you the next one. Secondly, if the game is scanned in by the post office and somehow it gets lost in the mail (or stolen), you won't be blamed for it since Gamefly was already notified that the game was en route back to them. Unfortunately, "FastReturn," is not available to everyone and I don't know if there is any way to find out if it's available in your area. Overall, from returning a game in the mail to getting a new one back takes about (on average) five days. By the way, I live in Massachusetts and I get the games from their Pennsylvania distribution center. I should be receiving Halo Reach by Thursday, or at the very latest, Friday. 

They also tell you on their website the availability of titles once they are released. Ranging from very low, low, medium, and high. It's a nice addition because if a game has low availability you can switch around the list of games you want to take out if you don't feel like waiting. Or they will just ship the next game on your "GameQ" (your game list) if your number one choice is not available yet. If you decide to keep a game, they will mail you the case and manual. I haven't done that yet.  Also, their new and used game prices kick ass. Buying games like Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 for $17.20 (that's with shipping and handling) is a pretty sweet deal. I've been a member long enough to get ten percent off all used games.You also get Gamefly dollars as well, although, they expire after a few months. I realize I seem like some walking advertisement but it's a great service for those whom play a lot of games and don't mind waiting a few days to get them.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By commandercup

@mau64: You can get new games from Gamefly (nearly 100% of the time) as long as you leave only that game in the que and return your current game 3-5 days in advance.

I've had Ganefly for a while and I love it. Games come fast and the selection is huge. Plus the games have incredible used and keep it prices.

I'll definitely try a free trial for BB though since it's half price although I buy lots of new releases at used prices on gamefly.