Body image

Avatar image for termiteschokeonsplinters
TermitesChokeOnSplinters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've often read that the muscle bound "studs" in video games and comics are considered "male power fantasies" however I personally have always taken issue with how dismissive this is to most guys out their. Does anyone else feel bad about themselves seeing the way men look on movies, tv, magazines and videogames or are we as men not allowed to feel this way about ourselves?

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't feel bad about people having better looking bodies than mine. Everyone as their own strength and weaknesses; not having a musclebound body does not make me the person i am. Both men and women are free to feel however they want to feel about themselves. If someone wants to be like these "studs", there are certainly ways to achieve that. Similarly, if someone doesn't want to work out ,and doesn't care about his physical appearance, then that's great too.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Provocative question about a topical issue by a user with 1 post? This should go swimmingly.

I don't necessarily feel great about my appearance when compared to that of idealized male characters or actors (less so the former because they're polygons). That said; for every film, TV show or video game that depicts an idealized masculine character there's another with the schlubby underdog slacker getting the impossibly attractive girl, saving the world etc. and the there isn't really a parallel for the opposite sex.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

They don't affect my self-esteem or make me feel bad about myself in any way, but I also don't see them as a power fantasy.

platina32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you'd be mentally affected by something like this, there might be more wrong with your mind than with your body.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you'd be mentally affected by something like this, there might be more wrong with your mind than with your body.

Doesn't this have a connection to all the controversy revolving around all the recent discussions about women in video games?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By artelinarose

I feel absolutely HORRIBLE about myself whenever I see a decent looking lady in a video game but I am also weird. Playing Tomb Raider was a constant state of thinking "wow i am a fat muscular piece of shit"

So, yes, I am shallow and vain.

Lemon_Peel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lemon_Peel

Meh, movies overall could use more average and even "ugly" looking people. No need to get ultra specific about it.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Welcome to the lives of women?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Raven10

I mean some of the men in games like Gears of War are unhealthily muscled, in the sense that they would almost certainly be using steroids of some sort to achieve that look. But in general the look of men in most games is a pretty healthy look. Being in shape is a good thing. I think the issue is more that these characters are often shallow in addition to being fit. But, no, there is nothing wrong with having a healthy body.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I do not really feel bad about anything like that at all. I would rather not be a meathead, I want more muscle than I currently have but it requires work and such. I never feel bad about it, if looked at in the right way it can honestly be an inspiration to get up and work out.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MezZa

I'm alright with it. I accepted long ago that I have a very thin and lean body type, so I tend not to get to upset comparing myself to all the body builder style physical appearances that show up in some video games. I also have no desire to be extremely muscular or anything like that either though, so I guess that makes it easier. It probably depends on the situation however. If I were on the overweight side of things instead of the underweight side I'm not sure what my response would be.

Really I spend more time comparing my personality and attitude more than my physical body. Like, "if that were me would I have been able to do that in the given situation" or "I'd like to think I could work my way through this just like such and such character", etc. That kind of thing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By JasonR86

Christ.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just noticed that the OP only specified men.

SEXISM RAH RAH RAH

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By LackingSaint

Like a lot of people that work out on a semi-regular basis, I have a tendency to compare my physique to others subconsiously, but it doesn't actually hurt my feelings when I see some amazing sculpted dude. And yeah, I don't get the male power fantasy thing at all. I like feeling like a bad-ass playing a game, but I don't care if i'm playing as a dude or a lady or an alien or whatever.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I don't feel bad when other people look good, what makes me feel bad is when people look at me weird, or treat me different based on my looks.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

heavily muscled dudes are gross anyway

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/07/04/tropes-vs-men-in-video-games/

The male trope of brave, dumb, but loveable louse with big muscles is really annoying. People make fun of JRPGs for usually having a skinny boy with long hair as the main character, but its not any better than the one single male character we play in every single god damn game.

Why can't we get a game where you play as a cowardly and weak smart person who solves his problems by thinking about them for a second instead of smashing a rock into the door until it opens?

I exercise regularly, but I don't have big fat lumpy arms. Nor am I unable to count to ten while the much smarter women on the radio is doing long division in her head while hacking the door remotely in seconds.

Why does every male character have to be a big sexy butt-chin pile of gullible man-meat? Why are men always forced into the beast of burden role dying thousands of times over and over again while Anya gets to ride in the god damn helicopter?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quit being a girly man and start pumping iron.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Not really. Almost everything in video games is unrealistic. Why should I base my personal image off of something like that?

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a simple example: I had a friend (was a friend to all of my co-workers at the time. Some grew up with him). Long story short, he always had an internal identity crisis; he bought a used Harley and tried to be a 'biker,' bought a Stetson and tried to be a cowboy, etc. The most recent iteration of his persona saw him doing that 'P90X' program and he lost about maybe 40lbs. or so, and his attitude has since completely changed. He got new friends, started blowing off his old ones, and for some reason didn't seem to get the joke when we all started putting 'ABS,' 'Testosterone,' and 'Juiced' stickers on his hard hat. Needless to say, he became a total douche and no one in our group thinks very highly of him anymore. Personally, he's served as sort of a mission statement for myself. I decided to drop some of the weight I've gained since I moved to my current locale, but one of my stipulations has always been not to do what he did. I've since dropped back down to my pre-Alberta 190lbs. yet have not done the douchebag thing and alienated my friends. All I have to say is that as long as you stay moderately healthy (I may have been fat at one point, but I have no tolerance for the morbidly obese. What can I say, it's the closest to racism I get), and keep a decent personality about yourself, you'll always have something going for you. I may not have a six-pack, but I'd like to think of myself as a great conversationalist (more in person than in text...). Keep your head and don't become an ass and you'll always have a leg up on the 'Jersey Shore' douchebag and their respective relatives.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be really handsome if it wasn't for being riddled with stretch marks from a prolonged illness. Won't somebody tell me they don't mind. That I look good anyway. Anybody!

prapin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By prapin

Provocative question about a topical issue by a user with 1 post? This should go swimmingly.

I don't necessarily feel great about my appearance when compared to that of idealized male characters or actors (less so the former because they're polygons). That said; for every film, TV show or video game that depicts an idealized masculine character there's another with the schlubby underdog slacker getting the impossibly attractive girl, saving the world etc. and the there isn't really a parallel for the opposite sex.

Should every new user conform and join the circlejerk or what?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SEXISM RAH RAH RAH

NO GIRLS ALLOWED.

Now, let us gaze upon pictures of muscular men and think about how they make us feel in our tummies.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

Christ.

Yeah, He did have a nice body. Lean and lithe if you're into that.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia said:

SEXISM RAH RAH RAH

NO GIRLS ALLOWED.

Now, let us gaze upon pictures of muscular men and think about how they make us feel in our tummies.

Turrible. Leaner men are much better.

MindOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MindOST

@slaegar said:

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/07/04/tropes-vs-men-in-video-games/

The male trope of brave, dumb, but loveable louse with big muscles is really annoying. People make fun of JRPGs for usually having a skinny boy with long hair as the main character, but its not any better than the one single male character we play in every single god damn game.

Why can't we get a game where you play as a cowardly and weak smart person who solves his problems by thinking about them for a second instead of smashing a rock into the door until it opens?

I exercise regularly, but I don't have big fat lumpy arms. Nor am I unable to count to ten while the much smarter women on the radio is doing long division in her head while hacking the door remotely in seconds.

Why does every male character have to be a big sexy butt-chin pile of gullible man-meat? Why are men always forced into the beast of burden role dying thousands of times over and over again while Anya gets to ride in the god damn helicopter?

OBJECTION!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MideonNViscera

At least we don't need surgery to look like guys in movies or games, unlike women haha

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there is an exception to the rule, but at the same time, he's not from a Western Developer. He originated in Japan like the long haired men. Is there a Phoenix Wright in Western AAA games?

MindOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

@mindost said:

So there is an exception to the rule, but at the same time, he's not from a Western Developer. He originated in Japan like the long haired men. Is there a Phoenix Wright in Western AAA games?

The Phoenix Wright bit was just a joke, really. >_>

At a certain point the problem becomes that the vast majority of western AAA games are about killing dudes in the face, so the main character is rarely the "tactical support" type. The faux-macho bullshit does get old though.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ladies know my gut = easy to please

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Slaegar

@mindost said:

@slaegar said:

@mindost said:

The Phoenix Wright bit was just a joke, really. >_>

At a certain point the problem becomes that the vast majority of western AAA games are about killing dudes in the face, so the main character is rarely the "tactical support" type. The faux-macho bullshit does get old though.

It was a good pull though. I totally forgot about Ace Attorney.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheHumanDove

It's a power fantasy because you have a penis

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided

If you believe in yourself and work hard, you can look any way you wish to.

No Caption Provided

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Damian

We "as men" are allowed to feel any way we please. But it's unhealthy to set unrealistic standards of beauty for ourselves. Just do the best with what you were given. And if you can't/won't do anything about your body shape or skincare, then well-fitting clothing and a good attitude go a looong way.

It's also helpful to remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when it comes to "studliness" there are plenty of straight women/gay men who aren't into the whole muscle-bound, chin-dimple look. Just as there are plenty of straight men/lesbians who like women with more fat or a more modest bossom than what we're used to seeing in the media.

All that said, I'm pretty sure you're concern trolling. But in the case that I'm wrong... Welcome to GB :)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes, seeing muscular man on the telly makes me go to a corner and cry. How dare they?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'm fucking gorgeous. So, no?

Actually, never really felt that threatened. I'm a scrawny guy, and I'm trying to get bigger, but I'm not some crazy girl screaming "UGH I'M SO SKINNY GROSS." More like "Hey, if I don't gain some fucking weight, boot camp is going to involve a lot of me eating way more than I care to and as a result throwing the hell up, so let's try to avoid double rations shall we?" And also "hey I'm kinda underweight I should get healthy. Bro."

As for anyone feeling bad about their body not being as good as hoty mc pants over there? Then shut up and work out. You should feel bad that you're too lazy to ACCOMPLISH THE THINGS YOU WANT, not that someone else did it for themselves.

Also, I enjoy sexy mens. So that is probably skewing my opinion of sexy mens on television and computer screens.

I do however feel bad that I can never quite get the Danial Craig as Bond's hair. I dunno why, but it looks fantastic and I want mine to look that good, but it's always a touch off whenever I go for that look. So I gave up and went back to the trusty high and tight, much to the chagrin of my significant other.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaLe

I'm more jealous of their thick heads of hair. Going bald is like buying a new car and suddenly noticing everyone else who has the same car as you, only instead of cars it's heads of hair. THICK HEADS OF HAIR IN PARTICULAR. Seriously, if a guy dies young I think: what a waste of a good head of hair. Maybe I have a problem.

Also, I've had a 6-pack for like 80% of my life and now it's fading a little, which is making me a little self-conscious about that part of my body in particular. Need to exercise more I guess.