Bomb Crew Appreciation Thread.

Shepuisat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shepuisat

Sometimes when we mourn the dead we forget about the living.

Ryan Davis had a profound affect on my life. His voice pulled me through depression, the death of my father and uncle, and gave me joy when I needed it most. Damn, all I had to do was hear that laugh and I was grinning. His death made me evaluate my life,and I have decided to give my writing another shot, after giving up, which he would never have done. Ryan was amazing.

But what Ryan did, he did not do alone. He did it surrounded by a crew of equally amazing guys, and I am not willing to wait for their passing to share my love and admiration for them.

So, Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Alex, Patrick, and Rorie, I would like to thank you all for the joy and entertainment you have given me over the years. I would like you all to know how much I appreciate your work, and to let you know how many rough times you pulled me through.

You are all incredible human beings who I respect enormously. I love all you guys and thank you so much, you have made me and my life so much richer.

I apologize if this offends anyone, or seems to soon, but I just felt the need to say it. And I wanted to start this thread so we can show all the other guys our love.

<>

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Really, the entire Giant Bomb crew is just the best. I love you guys. Stay strong during this time of mourning.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By darkjohnny47

Its seems weird to feel this much for people that I have never met, but I appreciate all that you guys do and consider you friends. Miss Ryan Davis (new shirt idea).

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cloudymusic

As much as I'm sad about Ryan passing, I've honestly been far more saddened by seeing how devastated all of Ryan's friends and colleagues have been. People from all over the industry, all of the friends of Giant Bomb, and of course the Bomb crew themselves. Everyone's been feeling it, and I get heartbroken seeing so many awesome people feeling so terrible.

We're here for you guys -- the Bomb crew especially, but really, anyone who was affected by the recent events -- and we'll help in whatever way nigh-anonymous internet posters can. I think the community has proven that in spades over the past couple of days, with all of the good spirit-raising memorials and artistic creations. Even if nothing can really heal the wounds left by Ryan's death, knowing that we collectively can bring a smile to the survivors' faces, even just once, is a really great feeling. Because you guys make me smile on a near-daily basis, even when I'm feeling like crap. I want the community to be able to return the favor for once.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aleryn

Great point. Ryan's passing is terrible but it doesn't hurt to value the awesome people here in the present.

cheishxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to throw my two cents into this conversation and echo those sentiments.

After college I took the first full time job offered to me, times being what they are, and moved to a town of 800 people in northeast Montana. I'd been a fan of GB long before the move but moving out here where either nobody plays games, or follows them as closely as I do, I've grown to appreciate GB and the GB community that much more. Podcasts, Quick Looks, TNT, Unpro Friday, etc. It was always fun to hop into the chat and watch people doing what they love, with the people they love. I can truly say that GB helped keep me off the path of functional (or not functional) alcoholism as the social life in my town revolves around going to this bar or another getting wasted and gambling too much. It even inspired my friends from back home and I to start our own website to write and talk about the things that we love. The past few days have been weird as the rational side of my brain wrestles with the emotional side over the news of Ryan's passing. It's been very comforting hearing that I'm not alone in that feeling and though I never met the man, I felt in some weird roundabout I knew him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends, his families, his coworkers, and those who had the opportunity to get to know him and to all of us who got so many hours of enjoyment out of watching GB make the greatest dumb shit on the internet. Love this site, love you guys.

Shepuisat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aleryn said:

Great point. Ryan's passing is terrible but it doesn't hurt to value the awesome people here in the present.

My sentiment exactly, I'd love us to show them the same appreciation now.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Giant Bomb staff are all the best. Since the birth of this website, there has not been another video game site that scratches my itch like they do.

Scratch my itch, Jeff. Scratch it.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope the crew are reading these threads. I think it would mean a lot to them to see how much their audience cares about them.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Niceanims

I already wrote a big, long spiel on this site about how the crew had indirectly impacted my life, so I'll keep it brief:

Thanks, guys, for being the coolest motherfuckers on the internet.

<>

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Kierkegaard

Great thread. Since 2005 I've been listening to these guys, and every new addition to the team.

I like video games. A lot. But I wouldn't listen to now nearly 3 hours a week of talking about them, watch far more in videos, and feel like a stalker toward a few gentlemen if not for the people on this site.

Giant Bomb is a bunch of humans who are preternaturally funny, intelligent, and insightful. I've only owned two consoles in my life and have never beat a pre-PS2 game, so I have no nostalgic interest in the history of video games. But goddamnit was Ryan's rant about Sonic funny, Jeff's encyclopedic knowledge fascinating, Brad's insight into every game he plays engaging, Vinny's wit infectious, Dave's interest in obscure titles broadening, Drew's love of complex sims endearing, Patrick's industry analysis important, and Alexis' engineering top-notch.

Yeah, my love for you all, especially in this hard moments, makes spending too much time creating the above parallel construction worth it. I can't wait to share in more laughs and thoughts in the future, and loyally stand by you all now.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By bakumatsu

A really good idea. To all the team a big thank you. You guys still are the only constant in my life and still keep giving moments of happiness that only a few can give.

A big hug to you all.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By striderno9

Thanks for everything guys. I came to Giant Bomb not sure what I was looking for but once I was here I realized THIS is what I wanted out of a gaming site. Personality, fun, and hardcore knowledge of the industry. The site's design hooked me in early, the content had me glued here but it was the personalities that I really stuck around for. You guys are great friends and it shows through your videos. I don't have time to catch every QL, TNT, or Unpro Fridays, but I have a gold membership because you guys work tirelessly and keep giving, you keep putting up content, you keep me laughing, keep me informed, and remind me that there are people out there that are doing exactly what I want to do one day and it's possible to follow a dream and be successful at it.

BeasMeeply

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cross posting because I really hope the crew sees it:

Thanks. Very much. Never doubt the value of your dumb careers.

I'm not a social guy (see post count), but I honestly consider everyone at GB my friend. I've had one friend vanish, and that's certainly hard. Almost worse is watching the remaining friends go through such a hard time and knowing that I have nothing to offer in help, because they do not know me. IT IS A CONFUSING SITUATION.

Just know that for every one person sending their vague, distant support, there are probably fifty like me quietly wishing we could help.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great point. To the Giant Bomb Crew, I just want to say thank you for all the work and hope you have a sense of how much you are appreciated.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Giant Bomb is awesome. I feel like I have said this a lot over the past few days since it can't be said enough.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love them all, even Patrick and Brad and Alex and Alexis and Drew and Vinny and Jeff and Rorie and Dave. I'm sorry it took such a tragedy for me to realize how much Ryan meant to me. I don't think I'll ever grumble about anything they do again. They're all great people.

NemeanOtter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I know for a fact I would not be the person I am today if not for the guys at Giant Bomb. I owe them a lot. Thank you Dave, Jeff, Patrick, Brad, Vinny, Alex, Alexis, Drew, and Rorie; you are all fantastic.

Shepuisat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shepuisat

@noobsauceg7 said:

Giant Bomb is awesome. I feel like I have said this a lot over the past few days since it can't be said enough.

Exactly, and will never be said enough.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a testament to there work that the site becomes as much a part of our lives in some ways as it is theirs. Thanks for all the good times.

bgbball31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't make many posts on here and only marginally talk in chat in livestreams, but I was thinking about making a post similar to this, so I'm glad someone else was thinking the same thing.

We're all going to miss Ryan. He was like a friend that we never knew. This is cliche, because it's true, but we really did invite him into our lives for hours at a time and listen to his opinion. However, this is true for every member of the Giant Bomb guys. I can't imagine the feeling of loss you all are feeling right now, but know that, and I hope I'm allowed to say this for the community, we feel the same way about you guys as we did for him. You're all our friends that we've never met (or in some cases for those lucky enough, have met), and we're all behind you. Love you guys.

I hope I wasn't too schmaltzy, and I know I'm not great at writing this stuff, but I just wanted to add to the chorus of support.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

GB put a smile on me when they didn't need to. That is priceless.

I will always remember Ryan, ALWAYS!

GB 4 LIFE!!!! Also, videogames are pretty cool, guys!

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said. Ryan Davis had a big personality and a profound influence on Giantbomb, but he was one voice amongst many great people.