• 78 results
The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Drizzle

Recently I've decided to get back into reading novels on a regular basis and am in need of some suggestions. World War Z is what i think I'm going to start with, has anyone read this and what did you think? Amazon reviews aren't too credible IMO

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Gizmo

No Caption Provided
I've always found short story collections (and King in general) a great way to get back into regular reading.
The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Drizzle

Speaking of collections i was looking into some h.p Lovecraft anthology's, have you read any of those?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo
The Hot Zone. It's about Ebola.
The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Drizzle

O wow i just checked that book on amazon and i had no idea that author wrote "The Cobra Event", i loved that book back in highschool

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Read 1984. If you already have, then I have nothing to add to this conversation.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By rentfn

Infinite Jest. See how far you get into it before you rip out your hair.

mr_moustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mr_moustache

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@The_Drizzle said:
" Speaking of collections i was looking into some h.p Lovecraft anthology's, have you read any of those? "
Lovecraft is definitely worth a read.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By crusader8463

Hard to say, as I have been mostly sticking to Star Wars novels, and the Dragon Age series, for the better part of a year now. I started an 8 novel series about a year ago, and have had two other Star Wars series release 2-3 books in between their own respective series in the time it took me to read the original 8 book series I started in on. I'm currently reading The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, but I'm not liking it all that much. Just isn't doing anything for me. If you want some Star Wars series recommendations I can certainly give some. 

When I was still a kid in High School I read the following books and they are what sparked my love for reading. So I like to always spread the word of them and try to get other to read them whenever I can: 

• His Majesty's Starship
  • The Truth Machine
  • Pet Sematary
  • Les Misérables    
GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GenghisJohn

Definitly "The Name of the Wind"  sort of a more grown up Harry Potter,  READ IT

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninjakiller
@Gizmo said:

"

No Caption Provided
I've always found short story collections (and King in general) a great way to get back into regular reading. "
Oh wow, go to hell for reminding me about that book.   The story in there about the toy monkey literally gave me nightmares.  I wasn't some young punk when I read it when either.    

Edit: read Sentenced to Prism if you like scifi.  
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

Not really sure what genre you prefer or if you have a preference for year (in other words, I don't know if you like old books or not).

I read a lot of literature so you may have read them already but my recommendations would be like Alice in Wonderland, Metamorphosis, Neverending Story, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath, One Thousand and One Arabian Knights.

Or if you like Horror H.P. Lovecraft, Maybe Dean Koontz (altho some dont like him but he does have some good books), Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King

Or there's Science Fiction of which theres greats like Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, Phillip K Dick, H.G. Wells, or maybe even William Borroughs.  (Science Fiction is my favorite of the genres)

They're all old though. Like I said, I like to read older stuff =P

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ClaritySam
@The_Drizzle:  World war Z was awesome, the way the overall narrative builds with each survivors story is very clever. Don't miss The Zombie Survival Guide by the same author either.  Actually you should probably read that one first, I have a feeling 2011 is going to be the year of the Zombie Apocalypse. You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda

No Caption Provided
Start with the best. 

Also; Philip K Dick. 

E: Oh and yeah, World War Z is fantastic.
The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Drizzle
@CornBREDX said:
" Not really sure what genre you prefer or if you have a preference for year (in other words, I don't know if you like old books or not).  I read a lot of literature so you may have read them already but my recommendations would be like Alice in Wonderland, Metamorphosis, Neverending Story, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath, One Thousand and One Arabian Knights.  Or if you like Horror H.P. Lovecraft, Maybe Dean Koontz (altho some dont like him but he does have some good books), Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King  Or there's Science Fiction of which theres greats like Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, Phillip K Dick, H.G. Wells, or maybe even William Borroughs.  (Science Fiction is my favorite of the genres) They're all old though. Like I said, I like to read older stuff =P "
I mostly prefer sci-fi and horror
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mrfizzy
@The_Drizzle said:
" Recently I've decided to get back into reading novels on a regular basis and am in need of some suggestions. World War Z is what i think I'm going to start with, has anyone read this and what did you think? Amazon reviews aren't too credible IMO "
World War Z was fucking amazing in my opinion. 
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By louiedog
@The_Drizzle said:

" Speaking of collections i was looking into some h.p Lovecraft anthology's, have you read any of those? "

If you have an ereader or don't mind reading on your computer check out this site. In no particular order some of my favorites are The Dunwich Horror, At the Mountains of Madness (though I wouldn't start with this one), The Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow Over Innsmouth (the basis for the backbone of the story in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth), and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. 

If you're looking for a physical book I think this is by far the best collection of his works. It's got all of the big ones, lots of shorter stories if you're looking for something to finish in 20 minutes and it's well put together. There are many collections that contain only one or two of his major works and just aren't worth it when this one exists.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Sorry, I only read biographies. I can't seem to get into fictional books at all yet I am very much into videogames which involve a lot of reading like old school dungeon crawlers (Ultima) and RPG's.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates
@CornBREDX said:
" Not really sure what genre you prefer or if you have a preference for year (in other words, I don't know if you like old books or not).  I read a lot of literature so you may have read them already but my recommendations would be like Alice in Wonderland, Metamorphosis, Neverending Story, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath, One Thousand and One Arabian Knights.  Or if you like Horror H.P. Lovecraft, Maybe Dean Koontz (altho some dont like him but he does have some good books), Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King  Or there's Science Fiction of which theres greats like Isaac Asimov, Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, Phillip K Dick, H.G. Wells, or maybe even William Borroughs.  (Science Fiction is my favorite of the genres) They're all old though. Like I said, I like to read older stuff =P "
All this stuff is fantastic. I'm going to add "Smoke & Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman to this list, as it's the best way to introduce yourself to one of today's best writers.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Kyreo

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fjordson

Best of the best.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By WickedCestus

Hotel New Hampshire is a good book. 

That's all I got.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CastroCasper

No matter what kind of books you like, I feel that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is an amazing read. 

Avatar image for angryredplumber
AngryRedPlumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By AngryRedPlumber

I recently read Brave New World and I would highly recommend it.  It's about this utopian future society and contains some great insights about Western culture and society.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Give the Sword of Truth series by Terry GoodKind a try...a wonderful Lord of the Rings/Wheel of Time-like adventure that is both a enjoyable read and a fascinating tale. Look for the 1st book "Wizard's First Rule" at your local bookstore. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilTwin
@Fjordson said:
"  Best of the best. "
This.  You won't be disappointed, probably.
Asberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Asberg

If your looking for a good Lovecraft collection there is one called Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales Of H.P. Lovecraft that includes most of his best works. 
Other than that i would say Cormac Mccharthy and Hunter S. Thompson.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By nickux

My favorite short stories if you're into that kind of thing.  

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @The_Drizzle said:
Lovecraft is definitely worth a read. "
This 

I'd also suggest the Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by T.E. Lawrence. Any of Tolkien's lesser known works are also great, he did a lot of really good short stories that you can look for.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brendan

I recently read and wholeheartedly recommend Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest".  Seriously kick-ass books, do yourself a favour and pick 'em up.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Shadow

the Time Traveler's Wife is really good.  On the surface it sounds like a sappy romance, but it's well-written, witty, funny, and the way it handles the chronological order of stuff is amazingly done.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheFreeMan

No Caption Provided
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mylifeforAiur

The Family~ Mario Puzo^^

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BBQBram
@kurtdyoung said:
" No matter what kind of books you like, I feel that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is an amazing read.  "
Quoted for truth.

Also, check out Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance if you're potentially into a seamless weaving of a moving narrative and philosophical exploration.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Dany
@Kyreo said:

"

No Caption Provided
"
Man that book was a bummer, visually stunning, beautifully written but I was not right after reading it 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vonocourt

No Caption Provided
A different take on post-apocalyptic tales.
velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By velucyraptor
@Gizmo: Fucking marry me, I use Stephen King in precisely the same manner with regards to getting back into regular reading. I don't care if it's genre fiction, his short stories are utterly fantastic; I loved Night Shift as well as Skeleton Crew.

@The_Drizzle: On the off chance you're interested in the King recommendations being thrown your way, I'd strongly suggest The Shining. His writing style is perfect for sliding back into regular reading, &I found The Shining l in particular was not only that elusive combo of an easy read which managed to hold me from beginning to finish, but also managed to legitimately unsettle me. 
Goddamn that bathtub.
blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blackblade500
No Caption Provided
Jim Butcher is a really great author and this is the best of his 2 novel series. Harry Dresden is a nice mixture of witty, semi-powerful hero wizard
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By McGhee

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie: It's fantasy for the next generation. Very gritty, bloody, and a little bit more than just "pulp".

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Skald

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It's a very different kind of fantasy, I can assure you.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Hizang

The Saga of Darren Shan is awsome, bit kiddy but still readable for an adult
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By erinfizz

Well, if you're looking for horror, my usual suggestions are Swan Song by Robert McCammon (which is definitely a bit like the Stand, but I like it way more) and Blood Music by Greg Bear, one of the creepiest things I have ever read. 

World War Z is great, even if had some pretty horrifying nightmares while I was reading it. :/

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#45  Edited By StarvingGamer

If you like British satire, read all 50 or so of Terry Pratchett's books.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I really enjoyed World War Z. It covers a hypothetical zombie apocalypse with much more depth and scope than any other book I have read on the subject, and does so with style and a believable set of characters which make the entire book a pleasure to read. It's much better than many of the cheap "How to survive" survival manuals which are pretty generic. World War Z demonstrates how different countries and cultures dealt with the zombie plauge around the world in a factual and straightfoward manner through various interviews with the survivors. The end result is entirely believable. At no point in the book did I think "That's dumb, nobody would do that!", the sense of realism and sincerity is maintained throughout. Can't recommend it enough. 

If you read and enjoy World War Z then Day By Day apocalypse is another zombie novel, written from a diary perspective of one man in the USA. It's not as well written but apparently this is by design, left unedited (with spelling mistakes and coffee spills) to fully reflect the state of the writer. It's pretty good, and has a much more smooth continuity that World War Z. 

If you are looking for non-zombie related fiction then I cannot recommend J-Pod highly enough. It's about a group of game developers working on a generic skateboarding game in Canada and how fucked up and surreal the entire experience is. Being written by Douglas Coupland it's very similar to Generation X although, in my opinion, it's a lot more funny. The entire book is full of videogame references which made it thoroughly entertaining to read, but the general cast of characters and sheer fucked-upness of the narrative is also pretty hilarious.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fullmetal5550

I am reading Dante's Inferno right now. It is the first book in The Divine Comedy Trilogy. I would suggest that. Ben Croshaw also known as Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation wrote a book called Mogworld. It is pretty funny. I would suggest that too.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By Driadon
@The_Drizzle said:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Necronomicon-H-p-Lovecraft/9780575081567-item.html?ikwid=h.p.+lovecraft&ikwsec=Home     
Easily the best collection I've found. It has nearly every story he's had published all wrapped in a very collectible cover. 

Read Metro 2033 if you like your sci-fi mixed with a different...Eastern flavor. I personally loved the living crap out of that book
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Chop

If you want something uhh... Japanese and weird, check out The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.  

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EvilTwin
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie: It's fantasy for the next generation. Very gritty, bloody, and a little bit more than just "pulp". "
I would agree that this is a great series.  I would, however, caution you before reading them.  I found them to be incredibly cynical and depressing.  Leaves you with a complete feeling of unfairness and hating every thing and everyone in these books. 

If that sounds like a good time to you, then Joe Abercrombie will not disappoint.