Boss' corpse causing damage?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

I think I remember a few games where after killing the boss, you would need to get out of the way otherwise the huge corpse would cause damage or even kill you if it landed on you.

Am I just wrong here or has this mechanic been in games before?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This can happen with one of the bosses in La Mulana. It keeps moving forward after death and will kill you if you don’t move.

Otherwise this is usually more of a QTE or final attack.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I definitely remember dying once or twice to a boss that exploded on death (maybe in a Dark Souls game?).

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gundato

After far too much bullshit with the Wildlands Predator boss fight I finally managed to exploit boulders enough to reach 15 hits or whatever that crap is.

Deciding to RP a bit, I decided to wait to run until the countdown started (my Nomad has no idea that Predator wrists contain a nuke). Started sprinting full out once the beeping started and got caught in the explosion, died, and never did that shitty DLC ever again.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Vextroid

Rondo Of Blood has some bosses that have a last second 'fuck you' after you take their health down to zero.

A real BS version of this is Crash Twinsanity. After you kill a certain boss its corpse is on the ground, if you touch it you die and it checkpoints you BEFORE the fight.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@vextroid: Watching RondoVania part 1 on GB Infinite RIGHT NOW! And Vinny just beat the minotaur boss who.... nearly killed him in his death throes. It goes on the list!

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Also a cursory search under "boss" found no concept page for this phenomenon. Is there enough evidence mounting to lobby to change that?

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karmosin

@vextroid: @peezmachine: You can't die from it though. I think maybe the next to last boss can kill you that way though, don't remember.

Edit: Looked it up. The final attacks can only kill you in the boss-rush mode. If you avoid them in the main game you get a 1-Up though, which gives you a little incentive to try and avoid them even though they won't kill you.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This happens in RE4 at times, if you are standing too close to El Gigante he will fall on Leon and you have to go through a QTE to dodge him.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does the Dragon God from Demon's Souls count? As you make the approach to finish the boss off after defeating it, it breathes lethal breath.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon has that, but I'm not sure they're capable of dealing fatal damage to the player with those attacks; I think dodging the attack nets you an extra life, and getting hit deprives you of it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There was a giant armadillo in Ninja Gaiden 2 and once it was defeated it blew up and if you werent blocking it would kill you.

Fun times. (I love that game)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I want to say I've seen this in a couple RPGs throughout the years but I'll be damned if I can remember what ones. You kill the boss, but before they die, there's one last big attack. Hmmm.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may not count but in the original WarHawk PS1 game in order to beat the boss you have to fly directly into the mouth of the ship to kill it, as it blows up it kills you in the process but if you eject saving yourself at the last moment. The last boss falls and explodes giving you the real ending.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a strike in Destiny 2 where you fight a big Worm God boss named "Xol, Will of the Thousands"

When it dies, it slowly falls onto a part of the platform where players can be. So if a player is standing there when it hits the platform they die.

Though it isn't a fail state situation, just a fun thing

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I believe after you beat The Fear in MGS3 the cutscene of him exploding into arrows results in you needing to first-aid a poison arrow out of Snake's leg. Not sure if that counts.

Most of the bosses in Nuclear Throne explode upon defeat.

Sergiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sergiy

Path of Exile has boss that explodes in a fiery aoe after being killed.

He charges up, I remember stopping to admire the fancy death animation, little did I know it would be the last thing my Hardcore character saw...