Brie Larson Wants to play Samus?

sonatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

https://screenrant.com/metroid-movie-samus-aran-brie-larson-response-art/

This is the article. Obviously I don't think anything will happen from this, but it's kind of cool seeing some mainstream love for Metroid while Nintendo keeps pushing Prime 4 stuff. Was curious what folks though. Also saw people throwing around Emily Blunt as a cool choice (in a purely hypothetical sense ofc).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NTM

I think it's cool that she has an interest in it. I can see her as Samus, sure. I'm more into the films that Emily Blunt has done in her career, but Brie Larson seems like a better fit for Samus. If they ever did do a film, I would hope they'd take a less is more approach when it comes to dialogue as Samus isn't known for talking aside from Metroid Other M.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, she's dull. It'd be a fight between her and Scarlett Johansson.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Emily Blunt was quite good in Day After Tomorrow, as a tough soldier lady wearing a combat suit.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Brie Larson, and I like her enthusiasm for the character but I also don't like when big name actors/actresses get all of the big roles and would like to see someone new play the heroine.

But I also didn't want Henry Cavill to be Geralt and then was so happy with his performance. So, I'll happily eat crow twice.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if Samus goes through the whole movie without saying a word. And then credits roll and ... surprise, it's The Rock.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Nodima

She loves Nintendo characters so, as actors who would clearly be getting an otherwise easily passed over movie in Hollywood made, she's up there. But if you really want to make a Metroid movie right, you're getting somebody like Sigourney Weaver in Alien, an unknown new actress who doesn't distract the audience from the weirdness of the setting early on but wins the audience over in a more passionate way than an established star could. You also probably don't want to spend a significant portion of the Metroid budget on a protagonist who stays in a suit with a foggy mask almost 100% of the time; the real hero of Metroid is the level design and weapon/device arsenal, and most of the time and money on a Metroid movie would smartly be distributed similarly.

But, looping back around, I think it'd be hard to convince Hollywood to greenlight a movie based on a franchise Nintendo themselves forget about for years at a time unless you had a star like Larson attached, except then you have to circle back on whether her rate is worth making that movie and you just get stuck in a perpetual budget loop that leads to stuff like Mark Wahlberg playing Sully in an Uncharted movie attached to its, what, sixth director in four years?

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean 15 years ago Mila Kunis wanted the role so who knows of it will ever happen. She has a youtube channel now she showed off animal crossing and has talked about going for roles that she never got like star wars and terminator.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shindig said:

What if Samus goes through the whole movie without saying a word. And then credits roll and ... surprise, it's The Rock.

"Samus you are now authorized to speak."

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:
@shindig said:

"Samus you are now authorized to speak."

THE BABY

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mean, Samus is really a blank slate nothing of a character. Really, the only time she exhibits any character traits or personality are in non-canon comic books or games that the fandom actively dislike.

I mean, I love Metroid and like Larson just fine, but its just kinda weird for an actor to go, "Yeah, I can play a blank slate. I can be a white canvas that the audience projects themselves onto."

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for head cannon reasons i’d prefer Angelica Ross but i like Brie Larson so /shrug

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: She wouldn't be a blank slate if she was a movie character. Larson wants a chance to interpret the character and put her spin on it.

Anyone who thinks that a Metroid movie would be an atmospheric mostly silent cave/facility crawl like the games is...wrong. It would have characters and dialog and a character for Samus because you're not going to get a mainstream audience to watch some experimental weird artsy action film where nobody talks.

Metroid isn't a particularly good franchise for a movie adaptation but if you look at prior video game movie adaptations you can see what they'd do. They even gave Sonic the Hedgehog a human buddy to pal around with.

As for Brie Larson playing the character...

The one advantage of Brie Larson is that she's expensive so the movie itself would probably be expensive, which gives it a better chance of being decent like the 2018 Tomb Raider adaptation and not some Uwe Boll level garbage (though I doubt Nintendo would license out a cheap movie anyway.) Otherwise she's...fine? A good actress? Really the issue with the Metroid movie would be more the script and the production design (which is crucial) more than who plays Samus. I think it would be a tough adaptation to get right. Of all the Nintendo franchises I think the easiest to make into a live action movie would be F-Zero, though a Splatoon movie could be pretty cool.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shiftygism

Charlize Theron would be a better fit for Samus. She's taller, a better actress, can carry a movie on her own, and doesn't have an army of trolls riding her ass over anything she does. That being said, I'm still not sold on Metroid being a property that's particularly movie worthy given there's not much in the way of a compelling story due to its isolated nature, and the fact that Metroids aren't that scary in design. My dream Metroid movie would be something closer to a Panos Cosmatos acid trip vision of survival on an alien world than the Paul W.S.Anderson Resident Evil in Space I fear we'd get. Nintendo, if they're ever really serious about branching out into film, needs to be super cautious.

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I think she could be fine for the role, particularly if her fandom for Nintendo means she would be willing to do things most big actresses wouldn't, like keeping the helmet/suit on the entire movie until the last scene and then again in the credits.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By FacelessVixen

...Who?

*Google searches*

...Oh, her. Yeah okay. I'm fine with this.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Nodima

Granted I haven't actually seen either of these movies, but A Quiet Place and maybe Birdbox (can they just not see, or do they not talk much also?) seems to indicate audiences would make exceptions to this if they liked the cast enough.

Anyone who thinks that a Metroid movie would be an atmospheric mostly silent cave/facility crawl like the games is...wrong. It would have characters and dialog and a character for Samus because you're not going to get a mainstream audience to watch some experimental weird artsy action film where nobody talks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

A proper Metroid movie would have Samus not take the helmet off for like 99% of the film. In fact it would be even better if they added voice distortion so that those who are not familiar with the game would be truly surprised when at the end she takes the helmet off and oh wow it's a kickass lady under that big ol' suit.

Sure Brie Larson could do it or basically any number of other attractive Hollywood female leads. The qualifications are "blonde and long hair" so.. go nuts casting directors. Personally I would prefer if they cast an unknown up-n-comer instead of letting established actors already portraying super heroes in multi milion dollar films hog all these roles.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: The issue with Samus isn't that she's mute (she's not mute) but rather that she's alone. Hollywood makes basically two types of movies about people who are alone. Horror movies and artsy movies, which Metroid wouldn't be. The only movie I can think of that would be roughly equivalent to Metroid about a character who is alone basically the whole movie is I Am Legend (or obviously The Omega Man), and the whole plot of that movie is that the character is alone. Even still they gave Will Smith a dog to talk to, and Will Smith was the biggest star on the planet at the time, which made them more willing to be a bit riskier.

If they made a Metroid movie they would not be able to resist giving Samus some kind of sidekick or putting her on a team or filling the movie with flashbacks or whatever. That's just how they do these things, especially for what would have to be a relatively high budget video game movie. Now could that work and still be pretty Metroid? Probably. You can give Samus an injured Federation Force officer or a civilian to protect or whatever without compromising the character (again, she's not mute she just chooses to work alone most of the time.) But it's not going to be silent lady in a suit traversing caves for 120 minutes.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hollywood makes basically two types of movies about people who are alone. Horror movies and artsy movies

I mean, those fit the Metroid bill for me, but like what about Cast Away, Locke, Buried, Bronson, 127 Hours, Gravity, Life of Pi. And I'm not sure why you think flashbacks wouldn't fit into Metroid, cause Samus totally has a back story, and the games have flashbacks.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By north6

Zendaya could make this role interesting. The only thing I can see Hollywood doing with this license is an Aliens style movie, fleshing out her backstory some, so a younger actress makes more sense. Action/horror, rest of the cast killed off or something halfway through the movie, give her room to run and carry the film/set up franchise/profit.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy: Half those movies are Hollywood indies that don't have nearly the budget you'd need for a Metroid movie and the other half actually go out of their way to get around the "one character" issue. Cast Away, for example, gave Tom Hanks Wilson so he could talk quite a bit during the movie and develop his character through dialog. Life of Pi had the tiger (and definitely falls under 'Hollywood arty''). Gravity has two major movie stars for a reason. A Metroid movie could, in theory, use a non-human sidekick like a baby metroid or whatever, though it's worth noting that a lot of those movies are pretty old and films were more experimental even a couple decades ago. They're certainly not going to do that stuff in a licensed video game movie.

My point is not that there can't be flashbacks or another character. My point is that a Hollywood Metroid movie is not going to be Samus by herself in a suit not talking or developing her character, so Brie Larson would have stuff to do, in whatever form that takes. They're not going to make some version of Super Metroid or the original where she just goes around exploring and shooting stuff. There's going to be backstory and character development and probably a long conversation with Ridley of some sort etc... So the actress will have plenty to do.

I never said you couldn't have flashbacks in a Metroid movie and keep it Metroid. Samus is not a silent character.

DARKSOULS1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonatar: That seems like a great casting choice. She seems to get better with every role she does. I remember her being decent to solid in Scott Pilgrim, but fantastic as Captain Marvel and in the weird (she directed it), quirky, wonderful oddity of Unicorn Store.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What would a Metroid movie even be? I assume it would just kinda be PG-13 Aliens with Samus as Ripley.

I loved Brie in Room and Free Fire. Captain Marvel certainly was a boilerplate MCU movie no better or worse than the bulk of them but man did a certain sect of nerds get angry over that movie. Looking at her IMDB I totally forgot she was in Kong: Skull Island. Brie and Tom Hiddleston gets totally overshadowed by John C. Reilly, Samuel L. Jackson, and the homages to Cannibal Holocaust in what was a movie that was way better than it had any right to be.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By htr10

If I was making this movie, I would spend years publicizing the casting of a male actor as the “star” of this movie. Never mention a female lead. Really get the whole internet super pissed off. Then bam, end of movie, the male actor is actually playing mother brain and, helmet comes off, it’s Brie Larson as Samus. Or as Santa, which is what my phone initially autocorrected Samus to.

That’s how you make a movie. Compromise the whole production for a 10 second reveal. Hollywood here I come.