• 87 results
deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deadpoool

"President Bush has signed a controversial new bill which aims to strengthen anti-piracy efforts in the United States and create greater penalties for copyright infringement. The law also creates an intellectual property czar who will report directly to the president on how to better protect copyrights both domestically and internationally.

The bill had been supported by both the music industry's RIAA and the movie industry's MPAA. Along with increased penalties, the bill allows for asset forfeiture. This already exists in drug laws, and allows the government to seize assets.

You can find out more on the bill

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

I disagree. In fact I'm an advocate of piracy. If a developer cares about money that much, they aren't making games for the right reason.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Endogene

Pretty sure that once that bill comes in action you can get more jail time for downloading a MP3 file than for raping someone.

deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deadpoool
Endogene said:
"Pretty sure that once that bill comes in action you can get more jail time for downloading a MP3 file than for raping someone."

lol...dude thats not funny, its scary

=andy=
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilTwin
LuckyWanderDude said:
"I disagree. In fact I'm an advocate of piracy. If a developer cares about money that much, they aren't making games for the right reason."
That's the worst justification for piracy I've ever heard.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf
Endogene said:
"Pretty sure that once that bill comes in action you can get more jail time for downloading a MP3 file than for raping someone."
The sad fact is, your probably right.
elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elbow
LuckyWanderDude said:
"I disagree. In fact I'm an advocate of piracy. If a developer cares about money that much, they aren't making games for the right reason."

You can't let some developers speak for others. Sure a lot of developers are bothered by piracy, but at the same time, they understand and can only hope that people will buy their games.

I want to specifically point out a developer that gives other devs a bad name, and that's Epic Games, which is ironic. You've got stuff like Cliff saying "We've become console focused", and you know I don't blame them, but at the same time they starting pointing the gun and piracy. Last time I checked, Unreal Tournament 3 sucked, the Gears of War PC port sucked even harder.

PC games have never sold astronimcally well, Half Life 2 sold over 4 million, while Warcraft 3 only sold over 3.5 mill. You've got the guys at Crytek bitching about how the game only sold 3 million; like seriously what the hell are they expecting? Five million copies? Six million?

I also find it funny how Bethesda starts talking about PC piracy, only to have the 360 version of Fallout 3 be pirated the very next day.

Ryan once said on the Bombcast, "The pirates ALWAYS win, no matter what, because they are usually far more intelligent, and far more skilled than the people trying to stop piracy"
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
LuckyWanderDude said:
It's lame and foolish to think people shouldn't be entitled to the sweat from their brow.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
LuckyWanderDude said:
Don't be so fucking stupid.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo
LuckyWanderDude said:
Even though this has been quoted numerous times already, I just wanted to say something. So you think developers shouldn't be paid for making games? Most companies don't make nearly as much in profit, if there is profit at all, after all the costs that go into making a game. And I think you're confused where "developer" is not a single entity, there are numerous people. Making games for the right reason would be having people enjoy the game AND make a decent living.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gizmo

This wont stop me downloading music. 

deadpoool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deadpoool

To be honest I wasn't really talking about piracy itself.....i will never pirate anything if it reasonably priced. but some software companies take the piss...adobe photoshop anyone? rosetta stone? i mean come on? who has this kind of money? i buy everything that i can and i'm sure things like easily available demos for games is a step in the right direction to combat this.....

but anyway, back to the bill..... SEIZURE OF PROPERTY?

FUCK OFF!

=andy=

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Picard
LuckyWanderDude said:
Lulz! What would be the right reason? Do you think Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa for free?  Wow, just wow.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene
Picard said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
Lulz! What would be the right reason? Do you think Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa for free?  Wow, just wow."
Da vinci never sold mona lisa.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Verdugo
Endogene said:

Problem is...you're probably right:P. Gizmo said:
"This wont stop me downloading music. "

mmmmhmmm. Same.
Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Picard

I'm assuming Da vinci received a handsome commission for various paintings.  I think you catch my drift.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Guys don't be tools. I don't think developers don't deserve money, I think alternative means of pay need to be reached (perhaps ad revenue from online game distribution portals). Money is too much of a motivating factor that is destroying the way games are made and forcing prices up. Legal piracy could bring about a game design renaissance if you will.  Look at what bands are trending towards, shareware model of pay if you want. I support that model as does most of the indie game industry (if you don't believe me check out tigsource.com). Don't generalize my point!

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Vinchenzo said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
Even though this has been quoted numerous times already, I just wanted to say something. So you think developers shouldn't be paid for making games? Most companies don't make nearly as much in profit, if there is profit at all, after all the costs that go into making a game. And I think you're confused where "developer" is not a single entity, there are numerous people. Making games for the right reason would be having people enjoy the game AND make a decent living."
The model of hundreds of people working on games is why gameplay is a stagnant force in the game industry. It's going to take a lot of freeware-fueled job-loss to fix the game industry buddy. You may not know it but that's what the indies (Jon Blow included) are working towards.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#19  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
caption
caption
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"
caption
caption
"
AMEN!
Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Epic1990

You know, I am pretty sure that gamers out number the amout of people in the RIAA; I am pretty sure we could take to te streets and strike down a vile and evil bill such as this. We could get a reform on it in the least.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By xruntime

As for your communist views on games, Lucky Dude, we'd all love it if games were free, but that's not going to float in this world.

I do think, however, that free gaming with advertising or some other money making incentive could prove to be an interesting business model.

Piracy is inevitable. There's no point in trying to stop it. It's been existent since the 90s (when there was no DRM) and while it may have worsened, it's not going to just keep on getting worse.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demyx
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PureRok
xruntime said:
"As for your communist views on games, Lucky Dude, we'd all love it if games were free, but that's not going to float in this world.

I do think, however, that free gaming with advertising or some other money making incentive could prove to be an interesting business model.

Piracy is inevitable. There's no point in trying to stop it. It's been existent since the 90s (when there was no DRM) and while it may have worsened, it's not going to just keep on getting worse."
Piracy has existed a lot longer than the 90's... ever heard of pirates?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Endogene

i can not resist... the urge is to strong.....

god such a great song....

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
xruntime said:
"As for your communist views on games, Lucky Dude, we'd all love it if games were free, but that's not going to float in this world.

Piracy is inevitable. There's no point in trying to stop it. It's been existent since the 90s (when there was no DRM) and while it may have worsened, it's not going to just keep on getting worse."
These are my views man. Communist-influenced but certainly not communist. The ad-based revenue is what I'm talking about from a game hosting site.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DualReaver
PureRok said:
"xruntime said:

Piracy has existed a lot longer than the 90's... ever heard of pirates?"
Yes but during the 90s is when we became more sophisticated and finally stopped raping the game companies' women while stealing their games.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By OmegaPirate
Endogene said:
"i can not resist... the urge is to strong.....

"
Why Why WHYYYYYYYYYYYY! its sooo paedophilic - must - resist - jig
YARHGGH!GH!GH!
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gizmo
Endogene said:
"i can not resist... the urge is to strong.....

"
This is bloody incredible, oh god, it gets worse...
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OmegaPirate

Even scarier???? Watch it backwards!!! Its satanic verse!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gizmo
OmegaPirate said:
"Even scarier???? Watch it backwards!!! Its satanic verse!

"
How will that girl be able to go to High School?
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OmegaPirate

She wont  - ever - shes gonna end up with 3 kids on a noat with orange hair chasing men with beards screaming at them about how some childs tv show pirate once plundered her booty

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Endogene

since the video extravaganza started i can not not post this video in the international pirate language, Swedish

oh yeah the girl is 17.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OmegaPirate

Legal!

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Absurd
Endogene said:
"Picard said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
Lulz! What would be the right reason? Do you think Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa for free?  Wow, just wow."
Da vinci never sold mona lisa."
I lol'd
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Pibo47
LuckyWanderDude said:
I hope you get banned from this website, i hope you die....i hope alot of things, piracy is just wrong, plane and simple. And what are devs supposed to make games for?Shits and giggles?
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Pibo47 said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
I hope you get banned from this website, i hope you die....i hope alot of things, piracy is just wrong, plane and simple. And what are devs supposed to make games for?Shits and giggles?"
You can fuck off. I'm allowed to have my opinion. Piracy is a borderline issue and as I see it, developers should be making games for personal fulfillment.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bulldog19892

So, what happens to people who pirate music? Jail? Repossession?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

LuckyWanderDude said:
"Pibo47 said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
I hope you get banned from this website, i hope you die....i hope alot of things, piracy is just wrong, plane and simple. And what are devs supposed to make games for?Shits and giggles?"
You can fuck off. I'm allowed to have my opinion. Piracy is a borderline issue and as I see it, developers should be making games for personal fulfillment."

That's a whole lot of bullshit right there. People don't work for 'personal fulfillment', unless by 'fulfillment' you mean 'buying food'. You just want to benefit from other peoples work without contributing anything for yourself.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmegaPirate

You end up on that tv show 

Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Exlutonian

Maybe I was already, but for some reason that video made me hungry.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bulldog19892

Personally I think things are getting ridiculously pricey, especially in the music industry. I've seen albums that are being sold for $60. sixty fucking dollars! Then Radiohead shows up with their pay your own price gimmick, and sales skyrocket. They outsold everyone. It just goes to show that if you make your content readily available, and affordable, people will buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I just listen to the radio. :P

Or at home, I listen to Last.fm

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pibo47
Bellum said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
"Pibo47 said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
You can fuck off. I'm allowed to have my opinion. Piracy is a borderline issue and as I see it, developers should be making games for personal fulfillment."

That's a whole lot of bullshit right there. People don't work for 'personal fulfillment', unless by 'fulfillment' you mean 'buying food'. You just want to benefit from other peoples work without contributing anything for yourself.
"
That 100% ture, this guy is just a dick wad that wants to justify stealing.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Arkthemaniac
LuckyWanderDude said:
What reason they make the game for is irrelevant, really. If you want it, and they're charging for it, you should have to pay for it.
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Pibo47 said:
"Bellum said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
"Pibo47 said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:

"
That 100% ture, this guy is just a dick wad that wants to justify stealing."
You guys are ridiculous. I want to be a game developer and I don't want to justify stealing. I think the industry needs to overhaul and base its profit on ads. You don't immediately pay for a television program but the people who make it get paid. Think before you call me a dick wad.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Arkthemaniac
LuckyWanderDude said:
You guys are ridiculous. I want to be a game developer and I don't want to justify stealing. I think the industry needs to overhaul and base its profit on ads. You don't immediately pay for a television program but the people who make it get paid. Think before you call me a dick wad."
So . . .you think people should put more ads in games?
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Arkthemaniac said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
What reason they make the game for is irrelevant, really. If you want it, and they're charging for it, you should have to pay for it."
I don't play games that weren't made with passion and as such I only really buy cheap games (passionate games don't sell much).
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Arkthemaniac said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
You guys are ridiculous. I want to be a game developer and I don't want to justify stealing. I think the industry needs to overhaul and base its profit on ads. You don't immediately pay for a television program but the people who make it get paid. Think before you call me a dick wad."
So . . .you think people should put more ads in games?"
No, I want a site that hosts free games and has ads.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Arkthemaniac
LuckyWanderDude said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"LuckyWanderDude said:
What reason they make the game for is irrelevant, really. If you want it, and they're charging for it, you should have to pay for it."
I don't play games that weren't made with passion and as such I only really buy cheap games (passionate games don't sell much)."
How can you tell a game was made with passion? And what if they made it with a passion for money?