Buyer's Remorse

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Akrid

I just counted my PS3 games. I have 63. 63*70 = $4410(CAD). I've probably paid the full $70 for about 2/3rds of them, so lets round it generously to $2500. That's a lot of dough for a hobby that these days I can only bear to do for a half hour or so. I can't remember actually finishing a game in the past few months either. I'm sure this will pass and I'll be back up to 2 hrs a day at some point, but regardless.

There's probably only 5 or 6 games that I truly regret purchasing, which speaks to the simultaneous quality and quantity the swelling game industry has come to produce. But 63 is a number too high to sit well in my mind. It's not like the old days, where each console only gets 10-20 good games in a cycle, and it's not such a crazy thing to buy all of them. The obvious solution is to not buy every game that gets passing marks and only get the ones that I find personally interesting, But spending so much time on this site I inevitably fall prey to the hype machine and cave.

I don't regret the time spent, since being who I am given alternate circumstances I could only bear to do something equally as time wasting. And I do think games help me in some small way in my everyday life. But I feel slightly embarrassed about my small cabinet packed with games as well as my level 13 account. And more importantly, I feel like I'm living to excess. It's not like I can't afford to, but I still feel bad about it. 

This isn't a "games, you time vampire, I quit you!" sort of deal. I'll still continue to play and enjoy games. I just hope I can find a bit more self restraint in future investments of some of the fastest depreciating goods in the world.

My questions to you are: How many games do you currently have in your collection, how many of those do you regret, and do you have any thoughts about the total sum?

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

I didn't know the PS3 had that many games worth buying. 

I have a PS3, a 360 and a high end PC.  I own probably 24 games in total and right now I'm playing a shit load of League of Legends, a totally free to play game.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akrid
@fwylo: I'm generally pretty easy to please, so it's probably a few less then 63 for most people. 

LoL is awesome.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I regret buying Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for the PS3.  I was just trying to give FPSs on the console a chance!   It was kinda fun and the people playing the game online were a nice bunch, but it was funnier than fun, really.  Multiplayer consisted of an AI turkey shoot.  I probably have a ridiculous ~20k/d ratio in that game. There were seriously messed up things in that game:  1. Vehicle physics were goofy and broken (you could spin a tank in one second).  2. Cover at long distances was non-existent (the grass and bushes were not rendered at all in the sniper scope view, unlike in other games where the draw distance is adjusted in the scope view, i.e., BF games).  3. AI players were suicidal in the multiplayer mode (especially on account of the lack of cover), and definitely not a replacement for human foes.  The throat singing in the menus was cool though...

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By danimal_furry

Maybe you should rent games, and only buy the ones you really like. And buy more used. They are guaranteed, and cheaper than buying brand new. Waiting until prices drop is also a good option, as you usually will have time to think about the games and whether you really want them.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akrid
@teh_pwnzorer: Glad I didn't buy that one then, even if it was only $10. 

@danimal_furry: I don't like to buy games used since I'm a jerk like that, and they're usually only a couple bucks off. I'm generally pretty frugal with the mark downs, hence the rounding down to $2500.

I used to rent a ton of games when Blockbuster had their "take it for as long as you want, what they hell do I care?" policy. I'm really not a marathon gamer so I never beat them in the week, and renting again/paying per day I might as well buy them at the prices they charge. Plus, my local Blockbuster has a terrible selection of scratched discs, and I'm pretty sure I owe them a ton of money for something. I always do. Overall I've learned from experience that renting is not a good one.
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By danimal_furry
@Akrid:
Hahaha! I always enjoy stores with a "Take it for as long as you want. What the hell do I care?" policy. It's the only thing about Communism that works in the real world. Oh wait. Blockbuster is bankrupt? Nevermind. Now nothing works with Communism.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danimal_furry
@Akrid:
Hahaha! That is yet to be said for the French section. :D
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By iam3green

yes, i have done that also. it is quit expensive over time if you think about it. i am trying my best not to buy as many games because most of them i haven't even finished. all in all if you count all the times that you spent money like at a bar or something everything gets expensive.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Demyx

My collection is fairly small, I don't regret any purchases.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

What about seller's remorse? I still hate having traded in my games in the early days.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cerogravian

I have 30 physical games that I have bought for my current-gen consoles, but I don't think I regret any of them. I know some good (usually internet-based) shops where you can make great bargains on games (I never buy used by the way), as long as you can stand to wait around two to three weeks. The price usually drops really quickly, I think I've only paid "full-price" for... Maybe three of them? Four perhaps.
...Anyway, what I do regret sometimes is several of my purchases on the Xbox marketplace. Sometimes I buy stuff rashly there, and other times (most common) I finally decide on buying a specific game, and the next week that game is the deal of the week, or something like that :P

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I have a Wii, 360 and a PC. On my Steam account alone I have about 70 games. According to the achievements page on this site I have played over hundred games on my 360. That is with arcade games, thank God. Only game I really regret buying are Superman Returns. Only other regret I have is that I don't have time or money to play all the games I do want to play. My Backloggery grow every day it seems...

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WickedFather

Currently have 16 games for the 360 and I've paid an average of £2.90 per game.  As soon as I'm done with a game it's out the door to Ebayland.  I keep a spreadsheet of what I've paid, how much I sold it for and what the fees and postage were and that's how I balance it.  I know from experience that keeping games is a bad thing and never have more than you can play because the prices just crash.  Obviously if you're a day one junkie with peer pressure you're screwed.

And games I regret buying: Lost Planet, The Darkness, Condemned, Fallout 3, F.E.A.R and of course the ubiquitiously groan making Far Cry 2.  At least I know they're crap now.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Akeldama

I have close to 90 PS3 games. Yea.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akrid
@WickedFather: That's crazy, but effective. I don't want to sell my games though, like  @Video_Game_King, I sold all my ps2 games and still regret it.  

Snooping around in random people's profiles It looks like I'm pretty average in my spending, which is comforting.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Tsoglani

I own approx 100 games covering 3 different systems, and I must say out of the ones that I own, only about 2 of them I regret buying (let me mention that I have not payed full price for a game in approx 6 years!) as I try not to buy games that I don't like. 

I still have a heap of PS2 games, some rare, some not so rare, but I will never sell them as I see the regret many people have when they do.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

Think of all the times you've seen a movie with friends and have walked out disappointed, that's $10-15 down the drain. All the time you've eaten take out when you probably have enough food at home that still has to be eaten. Think about the bills you pay for your phone or TV and how sometimes you don't use half the features they have. See where I'm getting at that? Don't worry to much about stuff like looking at your entire collection and thinking it's a waste of money. Technically 90% of the things you buy are a waste when you break them down. Also I don't regret any games I have bought... except for Final Fantasy 13, GTA 4, Guitar Hero 5, and Warhawk. 

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By nikral
@Video_Game_King said:
" What about seller's remorse? I still hate having traded in my games in the early days. "
Yes yes yes yes yes. OMG the biggest regret in my life was selling my N64 to get the first Xbox.....*sigh* I was so stupid when I was little.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SSully

I have quite a few regrets. Gears of war on PC, far cry 2, the total war collection(luckily was only 20 bucks off steam), and maybe a few more. I buy almost all ps3 games new and usually at full price. I usually get good deals for my pc games though thanks to steam.

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Parabole

After I sold all my games to buy a PS2, I've regretted selling my games. I hold onto every game whether they're weak or not. And I'm broke so all my games are worth 20$ each to about 20 games. 400$ not bad.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HereAllDay

Why don't you sell/trade in games you regret purchasing? That's pretty much the reason why I don't have many games in my collection I regret purchasing.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By ravensword

these are old pics, but fairly accurate to my games I own (so all of you calling me a PS3 fanboy can STFU now please) Add about 5 PS3 games to that and 1 360 game, and thats my game collection. to answer your question I dont regret my purchases overal. I do kinda regret some individual purchases like Army of Two.  
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WickedFather

I'd still say keep the gems which are truly dear to you and sell others while they still have value.  Any of you have stacks of VHS films and tapes that charity shops won't even take now and you don't know whether to just bin or what?  That's kind of where things will go.  It's only some Snes games that I really should keep but I've got a bloody museum of consoles and games which are 'nice' but ultimately clutter.  I think this is something which some of you will experience.

I bet somebody could hide certain games you've got and you'd never know they were gone.  Ever find something you haven't seen for years but loved?  You wouldn't have ever thought about it again unless you stumbled on it.  It's a bit like that.

If you're rich and have a mansion then keep everything.  Otherwise you can emulate and eliminate most of your old games.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By willin

No Caption Provided
No regrets.
kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kratier

my collection of games is like 4-5x of the pictures that have been posted , the worst regret is the one when you buy a game and INSTANTLY dont like it, like everything is off from what you expected, 

Monday night combat was like that for me , should have saved my money.