• 52 results
rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rflx

Now, I don't know a lot about the state of e-sports these days, but when I saw this it made me feel fairly embarrassed for these people, and the championship events where this takes place. If this behavior is the norm in these types of events, I can understand why the rest of the world see e-sports "athletes" as a bunch of angry obnoxious teenagers. It definitely makes me want to not follow events like this. But then again, I might just be getting old.

I'm sure not all professional gamers are like this, even in COD, which makes me think that this is just how championship events are played, psyching out your opponents and what not.

Should it be acceptable to behave in this manner at e-sporting events? Should it be banned? Frowned upon? Or maybe encouraged? Is it just a part of the sport?

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pretty easy solution would to have them not be in the same room.

I mean it's not the end of the world or anything, plenty of other sports where young men act like knobs, but for the sake of focusing on the actual game just keep them separate.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah god, that's just sad.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mister_V

I bet those guys have broken a few peripherals.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EXTomar

In other cases "live competition", they are separated by a large distance where you couldn't hear another yell at them without a microphone over the distance or noise. Not to mention, some stage presentations have elaborate props that physically separate the players.

If nothing else, you want them far enough apart and unable to see anything to avoid cheating. You don't want the teams to hear or see each other and give signals to each other for match rigging or whatever.

ps. People are playing CoD competitive for prize money? Huh.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sooty

the most offensive thing about this is that people actually think Call of Duty is viable as a competitive game, and yep this video screams typical CoD player to me, lol.

it's absolutely amazing how different this is to fighting game and StarCraft events, hell I've never seen this with League of Legends either. (but I rarely watch that game)

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Gladiator_Games

You would expect a competative FPS to be mouse and keyboard...

Demographic issue permayhaps?

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Well it's certainly more entertaining to watch than Starcraft tournaments.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I would say this is a pretty realistic COD experience. If any of there Mums find out, they're in trouble.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Petiew

Looks like they're just playing up for the cameras to get publicity. When they actually interviewed one of the louder guys he seemed fairly normal.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chibithor

@rflx said:

Should it be acceptable to behave in this manner at e-sporting events? Should it be banned? Frowned upon? Or maybe encouraged? Is it just a part of the sport?

It's all up to the organizers, but having watched some SC2 and fighting games this is really silly. It's like a parody of what people think CoD players are like

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By jacdg

@sooty said:

the most offensive thing about this is that people actually think Call of Duty is viable as a competitive game, and yep this video screams typical CoD player to me, lol.

How is it not?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zenmastah

Pro level controller FPS makes that video even more sad.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

Call of Duty is full of obnoxious XBL kids? Call Kotaku!

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg said:

@sooty said:

How is it not?

I doubt the opinion is qualified.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16  Edited By MachoFantastico

That was sort of depressing to watch. Though from my time playing Modern Warfare online it's no surprise.

What makes me even more sad is that when I played the original Call of Duty on PC back in 2003, there was a pretty awesome community of players... look at it now.

That said, I'm sure Starcraft can just be as bad, the nature of the beast I guess.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hangedtoaster

I watch e-sports tournaments fairly regularly and this is very specific too the Call of Duty scene. Most other pro's from Starcraft and League of legends and such just cross the stage and shake hands at the end of the game,.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By expensiveham

Sad that "pro" level players are just as obnoxious and immature as the 12-year olds you meet on XBL. While i understand a part of this is getting your team pumped and messing with the opposition i expected more from adults that are representing sponsors. The trash talk you see at Fighting Tournaments seems mild compared to this.

Competitive Starcraft, Counter-Strike and other PC games does not seem to have this kind of behaviour from what I've seen.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the guy in the video said, if acting that way helps his team win and/or startles the opposing team then why not do it? This stuff happens in nearly all real sports as well.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching this live, I thought it was really entertaining. Much more fun than a group of silent asians playing Starcraft or LoL over and over again.

THOSE DUDES WERE PUMPED

Thompson820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Thompson820

Back in 2007/08 I played Call of Duty 4 'professionally' through online ladders. I use 'professionally' because I only won cash once so I'm not sure you could really call that professional.

Thanks to the competitions being online and being played at high levels for cash it was very much a Starcraft style atmosphere, the concept of BM was very real and teams would be judged and known for their behavior. When my team and I played at LAN events the atmosphere was quite different, while manners were still observed there was a far greater element of emotion and reactions. It makes sense, if you're playing a game at home you might be angry or depressed after a round or match but nobody sees it but you and maybe your team, if you're at a LAN people are going to see it.

TL:DR: Professional CoD players aren't all douchebags, manners exist and real life events show emotions more.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@alexander: The fact that they use aim-assist does it for me.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@jacdg said:

@sooty said:

How is it not?

Because dur-dur, console kidz, dudebro, activision, yada yada

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kinapuff

and this is why esports have a long, long way to go.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AngelN7

This is the same in most sports that's why I kinda don't like them ... still wating for the Heavy Gear like Mech official brawls.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stryker1121

Low-hanging fruit to rip on obnoxious CoD twits, but if the glove fits...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would be amazed how many people I have made mad wile playing COD I tend to pick one other player and all ways cover his back. Always revive him. Always fire at what he's firing at. Playing as support confuses so many people online that its super funny.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching this live, I thought it was really entertaining. Much more fun than a group of silent asians playing Starcraft or LoL over and over again.

THOSE DUDES WERE PUMPED

There's a difference between being pumped and just being abusive towards the other team though.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol eSports. So dumb.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad everyone checked their biases at the door.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jacdg said:

@sooty said:

How is it not?

You should watch some 'competitive' CoD at some point, then you'll see why. It's just dudes camping doorways.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rebgav

I AM GOING TO STAND UP AND SHOUT THE FIRST THING THAT COMES INTO MY HEAD "I AM THE... UH... UH... THE BEST! HA! I'm the... best."

God damn it nerds, practice your shit-talking beforehand. At the very least, scribble a few notes on the back of your hand or something.

Good to know that eSports "mind games" are basically the same as real sports "mind games." Can't wait until they move to the next phase, which I think mainly consists of making bold statements about your opponent's race, sexual preference, or their Mother's virtue.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Its a competitive environment people do this with regular sports as well its not something that is unique to e-sports or the call of duty community.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, frat-bros yelling at each other like sub-human apes. Oh wait, this is Call of Duty's community. How surprising!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TyCobb

Its a competitive environment people do this with regular sports as well its not something that is unique to e-sports or the call of duty community.

Not every sport and the ones that do shit talking is not to the level of this foolishness. Football (American) has some shit talking, but nowhere close to this and that was the only sport I could think of that actually had some shit talking that is somewhat visible on TV. Other sports have some degree of respect. This is what stupid teens do at home and I am sad to see it actually surface in tournaments. EVO had none of this last year from what I saw and for the most part everyone shook each others hand before and/or after.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@tycobb: This is what competitive people do and its surely not limited to "teens" it doesn't even have to be about sports it could be people being bitchy with each other over competitiveness in a job environment or a dozen other things. Where there is competition there will be people being dicks to each other and shit talking. Its not an age or a gender or a hobby thing its just humans being competitive. Some people feel the need to "win" at everything in life and when they don't they get bitchy.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

• These are still kids, don't act surprised that they act like kids.
  • This is not a sport, stop comparing it to the shit talking that occurs in other sports
  • The spectators have their reasons for watch this, much like some people only watch hockey for the violence and the fights. Nobody on this board watches this stuff (I'm willing to bet) so your opinion is worthless in this context.

From watching only one video about this, I'm in no position to judge or render an informed opinion about this subject. Sorry OP.

However, one thing that would perhaps make me remotely interested in watching people play video games competitively is if there was some good old fashioned violence and shit talking that was actively encouraged. That or have the players playing in adverse conditions like in a really hot room, hanging upside down, running on a treadmill that generates the power of the TV and console, etc.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

@demoskinos said:

Not every sport and the ones that do shit talking is not to the level of this foolishness. Football (American) has some shit talking, but nowhere close to this and that was the only sport I could think of that actually had some shit talking that is somewhat visible on TV. Other sports have some degree of respect. This is what stupid teens do at home and I am sad to see it actually surface in tournaments. EVO had none of this last year from what I saw and for the most part everyone shook each others hand before and/or after.

Oh man, is that what you think? I mean, ok, maybe they don't do it when they're wired up, but like...less trash talk? Not even close, sir.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

That was fucking awesome!...in an uncool sort of way. Although to be quite honest if you get a bunch of people together around something competitive this kind of behavior is commonplace. Just look at football fans, or almost any large group of <insert sport here> fans.

The only difference is that here there are a handful of people being really loud and obnoxious, as opposed to several thousands chanting a song at the same time.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't show it in that video, but as long as there's some sportsmanship after matches end, it's fine. Others may prefer a polite, golf- or tennis-like atmosphere, which is totally ok. For me though, hostile environment with some emotion, whether it's "strategically" displayed or not, makes for a more entertaining watch.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TyCobb

@demoskinos: I feel we won't be able to see eye to eye on this and if I come back with a response, you will come back with another and we will just keep going from threre. We shall agree to disagree =)

Although I will say I do agree that it isn't an age/gender/hobby related, it is however, the fact that they weren't taught how to act in competitive situations and that's what I was referring to about teens, but I could have also said children. If I ever saw my son talking like that through a mic on an Xbox, I would slap the taste out of his mouth and wonder where I fucked up. Then of course would try to instill proper competitive etiquette into him. I would not let that feed into his adult life later on. FYI I do not have a kid, but if I did!

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Carryboy

Dont let this put you off "esports", this is esports...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rentacop

Doesn't look much different than your average NFL rivalry match besides being able to hear what these guys are saying due to no crowd and close up mics. I'm just glad there aren't cameras around when I'm playing hah.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are good pop offs and bad pop offs. The good pop offs happen when you know two guys really don't like each other, and play a really fucking good match so the winner has every right to brag and flaunt his shit and get hyped up. Example: old school East Coast vs West Coast in MvC2.

The bad pop offs? Doing it every single round of every game the entire time you're competing. Then you just come off as a doucebag, which from watching that video, I could tell most of those guys already were that before they started yelling.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By MistaSparkle

Good thing I have no inclination to watch a pro CoD match, this is ridiculously embarrassing. I've personally never witnessed such behavior while watching a Starcraft of LoL game, and this video makes me very glad that I haven't. I'd probably stop watching if I saw/heard this kind of annoying shit.

Also, why the fuck would you put them in the same room?? lol

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's sad and one of the reason why E-Sport won't reach a larger audience outside of the hardcore fans of the game itself. There's a fair amount of trash talking going on in real sports but also rules to respect and fines or penalties for those who don't.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the term e-sport, anything that doesn't require you to move more than 5 inches is not a sport.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Kids with very little social interaction that are constantly exposed to internet tripe aren't exactly going to become model citizens.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By TheHT

That was really stupid.