Called it.. regeneating health on tanks...

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By allgrinzz

Back when I first saw the big multiplayer reveal trailer from E3.. I said I was confused as the tanks seemed to regenerate, there was some argument with me saying that'd never happen and such.. Kotaku reports differenty >.>

http://kotaku.com/5837327/battlefield-3-has-magical-tanks

And they are magic, because they're capable of doing something no actual tank has ever been capable of: healing themselves. Yes, in Battlefield 3 tanks (and any other armoured vehicle for that matter) can, if "lightly damaged", take cover away from enemy fire for a while and, if they don't get hit again, recover their health. Just like the infantry can.

Developers DICE say it's "our way of giving smart non-Engineers a fighting chance to keep his vehicle in the battle", but there'll be some—no doubt those waiting in line back at a spawn point for a tank to blow up—who will be less enthused.

No longer worry about asking a team mate for repairs! just go hide somewhere behind cover for a bit, it's all good.... -_-

It may only be repairs from "light damage" but it's still regenerating health, and blah to that I say.... blah...

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By allgrinzz

Back when I first saw the big multiplayer reveal trailer from E3.. I said I was confused as the tanks seemed to regenerate, there was some argument with me saying that'd never happen and such.. Kotaku reports differenty >.>

http://kotaku.com/5837327/battlefield-3-has-magical-tanks

And they are magic, because they're capable of doing something no actual tank has ever been capable of: healing themselves. Yes, in Battlefield 3 tanks (and any other armoured vehicle for that matter) can, if "lightly damaged", take cover away from enemy fire for a while and, if they don't get hit again, recover their health. Just like the infantry can.

Developers DICE say it's "our way of giving smart non-Engineers a fighting chance to keep his vehicle in the battle", but there'll be some—no doubt those waiting in line back at a spawn point for a tank to blow up—who will be less enthused.

No longer worry about asking a team mate for repairs! just go hide somewhere behind cover for a bit, it's all good.... -_-

It may only be repairs from "light damage" but it's still regenerating health, and blah to that I say.... blah...

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By daiphyer

I will not be so quick to judge. I will wait and see how it works in the game. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Akrid

If you're in pursuit of realism, this helps it. Regeneration gives the driver a reason to turn tail, just as a real one would when they're about to be blown to pieces.

And yeah, this is really old news.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was also miffed at this decision, I can imagine someone 'tank camping' on a large map next to some cover and just rolling behind it to regen whenever they're hit. 

Not game-breaking, not worth getting angry about, and not worth cancelling a pre-order over. 

Just...a bit annoying. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but this has been known for quite some time.

If the vehicles are anything like they were in the alpha, it won't be a big deal.  It was never hard to take out the LAV.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CounterShock

I just don't see the point, unless they rolled the engineer into some other class and he lost his drill.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By B0nd07

Already a rage filled thread about this over here.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cincaid

@B0nd07 said:

Already a rage filled thread about this over here.

Hehehe

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By allgrinzz

my bad.. I missed the rage.. I was just amused that a long while ago someone was arguing vehemently that "BF3 will NOT have regenerating vehicles and there is NO WAY they would do that, it's just for the preview so he didn't die and make a fool of himself".. and.. here we are...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE

Sounds like an incredibly bad idea until you read into the actual specifics. At that point you can just laugh off your unnecessary rage and continue to have orgasms every time a new trailer is released...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't think you can "call it" regarding something that was announced a few months ago.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By I_smell

Yeah, people don't respawn every 10 seconds in real life either you fucking dope.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, getting out and waving some sort of magic nano-tech device over a tank is much more real, fun and strateg…oh. Games aren't remotely close to reality yet so they have to do these odd mechanics to fudge the experience into something that as a whole resembles a conflict, this is usually a good thing.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yes, because regenerating health is far less realistic than poking a drill into the side of the thing and fixing it that way. 

Stop your whining. If you want a game exactly the same as Battlefield 2, then go play that. Don't complain about changes until the game is out and you've at least played it. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marz

way to be half a year late?   anyways, there is also degenerating health on vehicles when they get below a certain health pool.  So if they are not repaired they lose health and explode.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

well that is stupid of them to do that. in what mind do tanks regenerate health. i hope it takes a while to for the health to regenerate other wise people are just going to drive a tank hide and then keep on doing this.

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By allgrinzz

hostility much? :P Here I'm not watching every little bit of BF3 news.. saw this come across, found it interesting, blog posted about it, called it amusing.. and I get hostility.. :( ah well, can't please everyone.. Move along, nothing more to see here, unless you want to be more hostile then feel free. :P

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mikemcn

First off, the games not realistic, so cut it some slack, and it makes at least some sense to me, if you want to overanalyze things, an M1 Abrams has armor that can literally negate most impacts from anti tank weapons. In the Gulf War, the Abram's out performed the Iraqi T-80s largely because it's armor was so much tougher than what Iraq had.

And if you fire the average RPG at the thickest part of a tank's armor, its not going to do much of anything.

In a way, regenerating armor simply makes up for the fact that real life tanks can, and often do, survive weapons impacts unscathed. And BF3 is clever in that, when a tank is taken down, it doesn't just turn to dust, it gets disabled and can be repaired.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UnrealDP

Eh, the wording is such that it sounds fine. It's not like you'll take an airstrike only to have your tank magically crouch behind a rock until the flames magically go away, i'm sure it will be fine.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By carlthenimrod

Not like it is any less realistic then someone running up to a busted ass tank with a tool and magically repairing it in 10 seconds.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Seems like some context is being left out.

Is this singleplayer or multiplayer? Makes sense in SP.

Were there other tanks around the tank? Most BF games have a thing where as a driver/passenger, you slowly and automatically heal all vehicles within a vicinity of the one you're in, but not the one you're in.

If you're relying on Kotaku to be informed, you should take a break from the internet.

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By allgrinzz

Everyone focuses on the realism when I could care less about that.. regenerating health in general annoys me.. "Hit with a 50 cal round, but if i take a few deep breaths, I'm all good" I personally find it an offputting trend in most games, but gaming in general can't be realistic otherwise it wouldn't be any fun, this I understand. What bothers me about it is the reduction of depending on teamwork wich BF prides itself on. That was the original disagreement I had had with someone, and why they so vehemently swore that this would never happen in any capacity what so ever. Here it's happened, even if in a small amount, and that's what has led to my amusement. Like I said, I find it amusing, I just saw this, and yah, it's what I called. Half a year late, or what not, I just saw it now cause I don't pay attention to most BF3/MW3 news cause I'll be playing them both. Well BF3 on console anyways cause I don't feel like dealing with Origin, but that is another can of worms. Angry or not, hostility or not, post whatever, I'm still amused. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowtaku.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I would like fixing vehicles more if instead of sticking a drill into it, you physically beat the shit out of it with a wrench.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wickedsc3

Someone said something bad about BF3.....u better cut it some slack man. We all know BF can do no wrong and is the best game ever!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

I'm so fucking sick of Battlefield 3.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeffsekai

@I_smell said:

Yeah, people don't respawn every 10 seconds in real life either you fucking dope.

Best argument I've ever heard.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By avidwriter
@carlthenimrod said:

Not like it is any less realistic then someone running up to a busted ass tank with a tool and magically repairing it in 10 seconds.

That. Also why complain about this? The fact the humans regenerate health is ok but tanks aren't? Get over yourself. You've come to accept and even *expect* the player to heal over time if they duck behind cover, this is the same thing. Grow up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why have any kind of regeneration in the game at all ? They should just keep that shit on consoles PC gamers hate that shit and don't want are hands held.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Enigma777

You're right. Grinding the side with a drill that somehow magically restores it so it looks brand spanking new in 12 seconds is much more realistic. Honestly there isn't a facepalm big enough for this thread and the mindset behind it.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WiqidBritt

meh, is it any less realistic than having the tanks magically respawn back at the base a minute or so after it gets blown up?

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By allgrinzz

*points back to my last post about this blog not being about realism*

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Skullo

Holy crap carlthenimrod, your AV is rad as hell, duder.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Skullo said:

Holy crap carlthenimrod, your AV is rad as hell, duder.

/virtualhighfive

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Potter9156

I can't believe that's actually a real article. 

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By megasoum

@allgrinzz: If you would have played the Alpha or listen to anybody who played the Alpha you would know that it's not a problem at all. As a matter of fact I think it's a great addition to the game. Instead of working like BF2 where the tank has X number of health points and they can only go back up via an engineer in BF3 the tanks have a much smaller health pool that will regenarate automatically VERY VERY SLOWLY (if I remember correctly it takes 15sec before it even start to regen). Once that small pool of health is depletted then the vehicle is "disabled". In a disabled state you can still shoot the guns but you can't move anymore. While the vehicle is disabled it will automatically LOSE health over a couple of seconds and finally explode. Once disabled, the only way to save the tank is to have an engineer repair it.

So to sum it up, if you have an engineer during the first phase (before it's disabled) then you can fix it 10 times faster than the auto-regen. If the vehicle is disabled then you NEED an engineer to save it.

FYI, if I remember correctly, it took maximum 2 rockets to disable the LAV in the Alpha and then you could let it stay there for a couple of seconds and let it explode by itself or you could shoot another rocket and finish it.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zeforgotten

Surprising enough those who played in the Beta found it ok that the vehicle in that one map regenerated a little of it's health. It just seems pathetic to drive around with 1 health(or fly around when the jets are there)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@OP. They do not fully regen health. Only a little bit. I think someone said 10-20 points. So it wont make much difference if its only that much. 

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By emergency

I hate it when my not-supposed-to-be-realism-simulations aren't fully realistic.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By adoggz

tanks regenerate health people regenerate health everyones got regen up in dis.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By GreggD

@drag said:

Slowtaku.jpg

I don't think I've ever actually seen that one. Mind showing me what it is, or pushing me in the right direction to find it?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Deranged

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

I was also miffed at this decision, I can imagine someone 'tank camping' on a large map next to some cover and just rolling behind it to regen whenever they're hit. Not game-breaking, not worth getting angry about, and not worth cancelling a pre-order over. Just...a bit annoying.
TheTelePlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheTelePlus

Oh no unrealistic gameplay mechanics in my unrealistic military shooter! Seriously if you're waiting with baited breath for Battlefield 3 to come out and actually resemble 2 or 1942 you're going to be sorely disappointed. At this point it's safe to say it's going to be Bad Company 3 with slightly larger maps. On the PC at least.

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By allgrinzz

... why does everyone keep going to the "realism" argument when that is not at all what i was talking about....

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#45  Edited By alistercat

Hey, you know what else is stupid? Ordinary humans receiving 20 bullets to the face in Fallout 3, or all wounds on your body healing and blood spilled being inconsequential if you just stay out of fire for a few seconds in every third and first person shooter from the past 5+ years.

It's stupid, and I'm OK with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GreggD said:

@drag said:

Slowtaku.jpg

I don't think I've ever actually seen that one. Mind showing me what it is, or pushing me in the right direction to find it?

There's a few, just search on google image search. The image uploader here doesn't seem to be working.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@allgrinzz said:

... why does everyone keep going to the "realism" argument when that is not at all what i was talking about....

probably because of this line: 
@allgrinzz said: 

they're capable of doing something no actual tank has ever been capable of: healing themselves

But I get the point of your thread. You're not demanding realism, you're demanding balance and resenting this absurd feature that will empower tank campers and lone wolves. I wholeheartedly agree, but hey, I got 10 more important things to worry about in BF3. 

P.S. make sure to create your thread under the right forums next time!
Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sputty

In alpha the vehicles only regenerated if they had pretty high health, either 75% or 90%, and after not being involved in combat for a while. It was pretty much a non-issue