DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By DevWil

Hey duders...

I got a new graphics card, but it's not working. Well, it's less that the card isn't working and more that it's somehow breaking my computer.

Here are the (I imagine) relevant specs, first of all:

• Windows 8 Pro
  • Core 2 Duo 2.66 gHz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Intel DQ965GF Motherboard
  • Asus GT 430 (ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP))
  • 420W PSU

At first, I was just working with onboard video. That worked fine. Then, I plugged in the GT 430 and it got (and still gets) stuck on the BIOS splash screen, showing a 5A POST code. Then, I unplugged my (IDE) HDD, and it can get through POSTing no problem in this situation (but, obviously, it's not the most useful configuration). About 20 minutes ago or so, I plugged in an old PowerColor ATi X800 GTO card (PCI-E as well) and I'm seeing these very words through that configuration right now. Booted up no problem.

Now, I've already done all of the obvious stuff: updated my BIOS, cleared the BIOS settings, set the BIOS to its "optimal" settings... I have no idea what to do! The video card works, but somehow it breaks my machine's ability to boot into Windows or even finish POSTing.

I posted this problem on Tom's Hardware earlier today and I've gotten no response whatsoever... so hopefully somebody on GB is an expert with this stuff and has some idea of what to do! I've been banging my head against this issue for like 16 hours, it feels like...