Can EA do this? Isn't this illegal? Isn't this theft?

C0RN3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's it. I've had it with EA support. They ONLY send you EACH AND EVERY TIME a cut and paste generic answer and then unilaterally CLOSE YOUR TICKET AS SOLVED. That's EA customer support.

A couple of days ago, the internet connection in our area went down. When I tried to run my Star Wars Battlefront game (as with all EA games, you need to run the Origin launcher first to be able to start a game), I was greeted with a popup saying "ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED". That's all. The launcher did not start and thus I could not make use of the launcher's option to play offline.

No matter what I tried, origin.exe would not run. After the first popup (about not having internet connection), no more popups were shown and clicking the executable did nothing...This is unacceptable! I paid for the use of this software - without the requirement of a constant online connection (only the first time: to activate my licence), and have a right to do so. Electronic Arts is robbing me of that right!

It seems that the change was introduced in a recent update of the Origin client software, because I used to have the option to play offline. Not anymore... since the launcher simply won't run.

STAR WARS Battlefront, however, was not sold to me as an "online only" game, on the contrary: it even has offline gameplay sections! I therefor denounce this new behavior of the Origin Launcher (which makes gameplay impossible without an internet connection) as THEFT of rightful use of purchased software!!!

I demand an offline-functional launcher (since I never play online anyway) ASAP, to be able to use the game whenever I see fit, even when my internet connection goes down!

I filed a complaint with EA. They simply closed the ticket, adding insult to injury. That's why I am writing this: to denounce this illegal inhibiting behaviour of the Origin software!

EA is stealing my money. Yes, I'm accusing EA of theft. If they do not provide the service (software use) I paid for, they are stealing my money. They've changed the Origin launcher's (needed to start my purchased games) behavior so that now, if there is no internet connection, the software simply refuses to run. This wasn't a condition I was informed of at the moment of purchase. This is new. Let me make this clear: IT IS NOW IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY A GAME WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION.

Does anyone know where I can go (apart from my lawyer) to make EA honor my (paid for) software usage rights?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pretty sure the fine print for every video game is that you actually own none of it and purchasing the game only allows you to have access to the content.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That sucks. I get the frustration, but I'd be willing to bet they've covered their asses in what is a pretty (probably) far outlying situation like this. I wish I could provide any bit of useful advice. Sorry duder.

C0RN3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I only pay for the right of the use of their software, in this case a game. But now they're depriving me of that right.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It sucks but I'm not sure the vitriol will get you very far with EA dude.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GaspoweR

I know you are frustrated and you specifically made an account to make a thread but there is no need to start replying to very old threads because of it, keep it to just this one instead of necro-ing threads.

Otherwise, doesn't Origin have an offline mode? Do you have strictly single player games on Origin that you can try and run and see if they work?

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gundato

Look: I feel for you. I had to stare at TES3 Morrowind for six months back in the day because I didn't have a sound card (every other game was fine with onboard sound...). It sucks

But screaming in the wind and ranting in every remotely semi-related threat from the past decade isn't the way to go, and neither is this level of hyperbole.

If you actually want to solve your problem: Try to find an older Origin installer and see if you can get that to work. Near as I can tell this is a comparatively recent change.

Also: Tone down the "this is illegal" stuff. Because EA almost definitely has the appropriate clauses to explain that this is "fair" and there are arguments that an active internet connection is up there with "a monitor of a sufficiently high resolution because the hud doesn't scale infinitely" and so forth. I would still prefer the box says it but... yeah. Its basically the same issue as needing a zero day patch for a game to be remotely playable. It sucks, but that is the world we live in.

C0RN3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By C0RN3L

First of all: I was required to make three posts before being able to make a new thread. So it's not me, necro-ing. And IF I'm gonna be forced to post, I'll post to threads that are significant to me.

Back to the topic:

I got the solution on another forum. Turns out it was not a change introduced in an update, but corrupted files (probably due to an update) in the Origin software!

SOLUTION:

- close Origin completely. (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)

- Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.

- Type or copy "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) > hit ENTER

- Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder. (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)

- Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.

- Type or copy "%AppData%" (without quotes) > hit ENTER

- Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder

- Delate the "Origin" folder inside the "Roaming" folder

- In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on the word "AppData".

- Open the "Local" folder

- Delate the "Origin" folder inside the "Local" folder

- Restart your PC. > test

Hope this is of use to anyone...