• 75 results
Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Unilad

This may sound like a weird question but for a long time video games have had a certain stigma attached to them. When I was younger I sheltered from societal pressures, and expectations and played happily and obliviously! Needless to say it was a beautiful time in my life.

However, as I've gotten older (and responsibilities exist) I'm much more aware of the societal pressures and more importantly societal opinions (I brand 'stigmas') over video games. I have always enjoyed them, and whilst I have had the occasional lull, I realised that I will probably enjoy them for many years to come (currently in my early 20's).

Whilst I have been out, and do still party (especially at Uni...dear god) i've started to do that less. As such, video games have started to take up a larger majority of my evenings and weekends. I find myself researching purchases and generally watching videos/listening to podcasts around said issue. Whilst this sort of behaviour was fine when I was younger I worry this will diminish my social existence and potential external image. This may sound incredibly vain, and potentially narcissistic, but let me assure you it is not meant to be. I'm instead trying to project a general stigma through my own personal position/outlook.

I worry that whilst I may be successfully progressing in my career (which I feel is one of the crutches of being 'socially accepted') my continued playing of video games may dampen, and brand me (unjustifiably) as a 'loser' who is intellectually constrained by the inability to choose other (generally considered) more intellectual activities such as reading.

Some of my good friends play games. I used to think they were immune to this feeling, however I recently discovered they are not. One friend stating that he does not want to play his DS on the bus as he worries he may "be seen as a loser geek".

Does anyone else have this feeling?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you play video games you're a piece of shit.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I can't wait to see where this thread goes.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Not at all personally, but yes, there are times where I'm playing a game instead of doing something social and I regret that. I wish I played less games in college and used some of that time for social stuff.

Anyways, not something that personally I really often am afraid of being attached to by other people. I think video games are a fine way to spend your time. But like with all things you can do too much of that vs getting out and doing something. I mean, people do this with reality TV or sports or reading or whatever too. It's not really unique just to video games.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I think that's the realization of everybody when they start getting older, you start realizing being an adult is tough. I don't think you should feel down you spend time on a hobby you enjoy but like all hobbies its always a good idea to moderate your time with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No video games do not make you a loser, you can sit on the couch and watch tv all day and you will grow fat. It has nothing to do with video games. What you do with your life is up to you. If someone doesn't want to play their ds on the bus because they are afraid of what people think then they lack self confidence.

Some guy made FalSkaar for a whole year a mod for Skyrim and got hired in the industry, he used his time wisely. Everything should be done in moderation, including video games. Sign up for the gym instead of buying a new $60 game is a better option. Actually going to the gym 3-5 days a week is easy.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are called stereotypes for a reason, it doesn't mean they are true. Ask yourself what individuals are affixing these labels and what insecurities do they have for driving you to this point? Don't allow anyone to have the power to make you feel ashamed for playing video games. No one should be capable of holding that type of power over you.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that's the realization of everybody when they start getting older, you start realizing being an adult is tough. I don't think you should feel down you spend time on a hobby you enjoy but like all hobbies its always a good idea to moderate your time with it.

Yeah I agree. Not sure if the OP is just out of college but this is something I've come to grip with. You have time to spend, just do it wisely and try to get out and work out, travel, etc too. But nothing wrong with games. You just have only so much time and it's good to switch it up and try new things because otherwise you just get in a "same shit different day" rut.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli

You better hope so. Winner-driven society is the downfall of mankind. Fuck that shit. If you want to win, win at something that doesn't matter, and become a filthy hobo prince!

For wisdom. Down with winner scum!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck video games.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TyCobb

@markm said:

This man speaks the truth. All hail new community leader MarkM.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That stigma is still there, definitely. Just the other day I was wearing a Bioshock Infinite T-shirt, and someone asked me what it was from. I told her it was from a video game and her eyes couldn't have rolled more.

A lot of the time I feel like video games stop me from being social, but then I realise I'm wrong. If I'm not playing video games on a friday/saturday night, I'm on the internet. If I'm not doing that, I'm reading, making origami, watching movies, doing work etc. But that's just me.

Play video games if you enjoy it, man. I view them as a hobby just like anything else. I started worrying a lot less about how (most) people see me when I realised how little they think of me on a moment to moment basis.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video games don't make you anything, you make you something.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Do you what you want and let people think what they want. More people play games than ever before, and the people that look down on the hobby are becoming an increasing minority that will soon disappear entirely. Don't let judgmental assholes prevent you from spending your free time however you want.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videogames don't make people losers, but losers have a pattern to attach themselves to things that limit social interaction. Loser probably isnt the right word, just general introverts or people who give of creeper vibes. That's why places like Japan, very tech savvy, have the modern issue of people so socially withdrawn they're living with their parents well into their 30s and still haven't had a sexual encounter. You may or may not be fine with that lifestyle but most people have a word for 30 year old virgins who live with their parents.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

@unilad: Let me ask you this. If you have to put on a front and constantly be worried about your image are those really the sort of people you want to associate with anyways? My mantra in life is you get what you see. If people dont like me for me that's fine because I dont want people who are fake and judgemental surrounding me.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You're a loser.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Devil240Z

Video Games always make you a loser.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By artelinarose

Wait, you actually play video games?

haha fuckin nerd

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Fuck society's opinions. If you enjoy playing games, then that's perfectly fine. I can guarantee you're not the only person in your age group or beyond that enjoys playing them, and you definitely shouldn't think it's abnormal or wrong. The most important thing is of course to take things in moderation and that applies to most things in life.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Clonedzero

If you have to ask....

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markm said:

This is comment of the year quality right here

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Dude.

Just play your fucking video games.

People - at least, anyone that matters - don't really care if you sit down on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings or whatever and play games. And by the time you get close enough to someone for them to know anything about your weekly routine, well, they'll probably accept something like that pretty easily. Or maybe they play video games a lot themselves and would like to talk about them and play them with you.

If they won't accept something like that, they probably aren't worth hanging around.

You could say that potential future employers care, but I doubt that any boss really cares what you do on your own time either, aside from that initial interview question to make sure you're a person who is comfortable in social environments. Potential future girlfriends/boyfriends might care, but again, if you're giving a lot of your time and energy to them and they still want you to stop doing something you really like doing on your own time, are they worth staying with?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seriously though

Do what makes you happy. Don't get so caught in worrying about whether other people like you that you forget to put time into liking yourself and/or the things you do that you enjoy. You'll just drive yourself crazy trying to please everybody but yourself.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

This thread reminds me of this.

That is all.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I'm torn between being an asshole and making fun of this thread or taking it seriously and giving a sincere answer.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think what makes you a loser or not is the opinion others have of you then you already are one.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a 32 year old man who consumes content from other men in their 30s about video games and still manages to keep a wife and a career, I would day it's more the person than the hobby.

Besides, video games are bigger than movies in the entertainment field and no one would give a shit about you watching movies.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 sweep  Moderator

I genuinely enjoy subverting the prejudice's people have of videogame enthusiasts.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss arcades. You could trash talk in person, and the Sbarro was right across the food court.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Obviously by posting this on a video game forum, you're going to get a biased tilt on the subject. And/or snark.

The short answer is: yes, they can. There's always going to be somebody out there who'll look down on you for your hobby. It's true for all hobbies, but especially video games since they're a relatively new thing, and not necessarily well understood by a lot of people. Just the way of it.

So the question becomes: should you care? Personally, I say no. Living like people think you should to doesn't have anything to do with living responsibly. If you've got a good job and are doing good work, you should do whatever you want.

Fuck the haters??

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything can make a loser

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Going too far with anything can make you a loser. You just gotta balance things out, but do what you wanna do.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@csl316 said:

Going too far with anything can make you a loser. You just gotta balance things out, but do what you wanna do.

Came in to say this. Glad it didn't take too long for it to be said.

Also:

@markm said:

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Nope and with people like the Giantbomb staff & celebrities like Ice-T & many others who really enjoy video games proves that video games do not make anyone a loser. Anyone who brands you on some social thing like being a loser is bound to happen but it's their opinion which should not be important to you if you feel they're wrong. Plus there's so much of gaming out there now that it's not like a weird social fetish compared to being part of normal life of many people.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ

People who care too much about how you spend your personal time are the real losers. Everyone has their thing, and everyone should do what makes them happy once in a while.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@jz said:

Anything can make a loser

So true. The most I've felt like I am a loser and the people around me are losers are when I've been drinking/partying in social settings.

utamaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By utamaru

Maybe spending most of the years I should be focusing on school and maybe also ladies and social things or something healthy focusing on wow instead, from vanilla to tbc, wasnt the best thing for my social life hey you tell me.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HerbieBug

Games destroyed my whole family, man. Muh brother, he could have had it all. But then he got in on the WoO and the Blota. One day he wouldn't answer my phone calls. I went to check on him and there he was, face down in a bag of potato chips. They're killers, man. They'll get you too. T___T

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

video games ARE loser

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

only YOU can make you a loser.

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girlfriend and I live with her sister. Her sister talks shit about me playing games and reading the internet all evening after I get home from work. She works very minimal hours and watches trashy "reality" TV on MTV for 12-15 hours straight most days. Who's the one who's a loser?

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Exhibit A in the case of "Video Games make you a loser".

Sorry for ruining it for the rest of you guys.

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this context, I think the entire concept of "losers" or "winners" is merely judgmental, self-congratulatory, ego-stroking nonsense propagated by the self-centered or the ignorant as some sort of credible designation of social status or worth.

Why conform to a totally arbitrary and inherently juvenile rule-set you cannot possibly satisfy or win? It seems that, in far too many adults for comfort, highschool never ends.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NFL football player Chris Kluwe is a massive WoW geek and is currently on Twitter bragging about his progress on Path of Exile. See, people can have layers! Although he is a punter, but still, NFL!

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By abara

NFL football player Chris Kluwe is a massive WoW geek and is currently on Twitter bragging about his progress on Path of Exile. See, people can have layers! Although he is a punter, but still, NFL!

Punters are just the losers of the NFL

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

@markm said:

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You use the internet for something other than Facebook? Loser.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

You use the internet for something other than Facebook? Loser.