Can we talk about China and their insane censorship of people and video games?

• 63 results
AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

@vaiz said:

I believe the official Giant Bomb stance on China for the past decade has been, and I quote:

"China Don't Care".

I'm sorry someone had to reference it and it may as well be me.

You're correct. Apparently, people either forgot this, or wasn't around when the conclusion about China affairs was made on GB. I might be wrong, but I believe they even had "China Don't Care" T-Shirts and the like at their store as well.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

China does care, as is evident by the billions they spend on manipulating public opinion. It's just that they aren't going to fold at the first sight of bad publicity. Reddit for example is filled with China-bots.

My opinion is that Western media companies simply can't operate in countries that don't have freedom of speech. Right now companies are trying to have it both ways and that is simply not sustainable to their brand.

But solving the China problem isn't really Giant Bomb's responsibility. People come here for entertainment, and the weekly sexual harassment report on the Bombcast is bad enough already without adding in genocide and other atrocities. Preaching to the choir might make people feel better about themselves but I don't think it'll solve the problem.

emospacemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By emospacemonkey

No. China doesn't care. They just commited to opening more coal power stations and will ignore their previous commitments. Giantbomb can do nothing but as gamers we can. Don't buy Tencent, Don't play Genshin Impact and Boycott Blizzard.

Oh yes and one more thing. Boycott consoles made in China .....

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

Man, you are painting with some insanely broad brushes with stuff like "China is a country that" when it's the CCP that is the problem. Typically people don't engage in things like this because it's a whole other autonomous country with over a billion people so making sweeping statements or generalizations is incredibly dicey territory. There are socio-political, ethical, and economic nuances involved in global politics that make it difficult to find solutions for some of the smartest, most well informed people in the world. I'm fine without GB jumping up on a soap box to start railing against China like so many disingenuous people do on social media and streaming platforms.

A lot of domestic issues people like GB feel more comfortable speaking out about because they either have direct connections, experience, or a bevy of information and much time spent understanding more about the problems occurring in their own country. It's not really comparable to making uninformed or lesser informed armchair opinions about a country many people making those comments about have never even been to.

This, and highlighted for emphasis. I'm no isolationist, I think things like Climate Change and human rights violation cannot start and stop at national borders and are things the entire world must care about, but unfortunately: America has a bevvy of massive problems right now, particularly among the wealthy, ruling class.

We had an attempted coup attempt at our nation's capitol THIS YEAR. 9 months ago, a fascist political party tried to forcefully seize control of, and kill, our country's leaders, and unfortunately around half those leaders support that party. And if you think I'm being hyperbolic, go check out what the representatives of said party actually do, rather than just the pleasant face they present outwardly.

Am I saying this means "you can't criticize China because we have bad-faith actors in our government"? Absolutely not. But I'm much more concerned what President Biden is going to do about:

1) overpolicing of poor neighborhoods/PoC at all wealth levels

2) Republicans' inability and unwillingness to even admit Covid and climate change exist, much less govern like they do.

3) a fascist political party making a power grab as states like Texas and Alabama make it harder and harder for people to vote, and begin to enact laws that will allow elections they don't like to be overturned.

4) our crumbling infrastructure within our own states and cities

5) total lack of any kind of oversight or regulation on our massive businesses driving wealth inequality further and further, and giving more and more power to an annointed few whose ONLY goal is...MORE POWER.

6) Child marriage still being legal, and happening, within our nation's borders.

To make this as clear as possible: I am NOT trying to say "who cares about better representation in popular culture, THERE ARE ATROCITIES BEING COMMITTED OVERSEAS!!" because that is a bullshit argument for bullshit artists, what I am saying is: our backyard needs to be cleaned up, in a way we can and should make real progress toward, before we see to cleaning up someone else's backyard.

Because right now? Even IF we formed a coalition and got some political power toward this goal, the CCP's representatives could, and should, just as easily say: You've done nothing to police your own corporate, entertainment giants, how dare you think you can police ours???

Activision/Blizzard is a nightmare, but at least it's a public one being talked about actively. Remember Ubisoft? Remember "used stacks of profits to shield sexual predators at the executive levels"? Remember how none of that was really done anything about, and now we all play and watch coverage of Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Far Cry 6?

Giant Bomb's views on this shit is known, you can find it easily. You can look back on their coverage of Goobergate when it first began, you can look at their relationship to outfits like Waypoint, their support for videogame unions, I don't NEED them to come out and say "we are against Chinese government's censorship."

People were being rounded up and put into camps in this country just a year ago (miss me with this DEMOCRATS DO IT TOO!!! bullshit. If you have to take all context from your argument to be right, it ain't much of an argument); there was a "Muslim ban" attempted in this country just 4 years ago.

We need to clean up our yard before we start telling other people how to keep theirs. And that's not a proverb or an axiom, that is a REAL, DOABLE plan, it just takes an absolute metric ton of time, effort, and work. People in-power do not give it up willingly.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can we please not spread the "concentration camp" myth?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Onemanarmyy
emospacemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyndbako: China (CCP) like to call then educations centers where the students get to enjoy full employment for free. Free as in no pay. China....don't.....care

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what should China's solution to radical Islamic terrorism be, then? Let's not forget that China literally shares a border with Afghanistan.

Flagro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Flagro

@lyndBako One thing they could do is not commit genocide against ethnic minorities, employ mass surveillance and intimidate foreign Uyghurs by threatening their relatives in the mainland? Not only would that make terrorist attacks less likely, it's also obviously the right thing to do.

Are you seriously so delusional as to think the only two options are terrorism or genocide?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lyndbako: What does that have to do with detaining civilians and children who have nothing to do with Afghanistan?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyndbako: Flags already up at “radical Islam” let alone the implications at what you’re saying is a valid solution…

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#63 chaser324  Moderator

@lyndbako: Wow, not a good take. If anything, China's actions against innocent civilians would probably justifiably push more people towards violent retaliation.

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emospacemonkey: !!!china don´t care!!!

i bought the "fuck ryan davis" T-shirt

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

lol we went from 'myth' to 'it's the solution'.

emospacemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andriv: Are they still selling that T-Shirt ? Bet it's manufactured in China.......

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to argue with results.