Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

I haven't played very many RPGs and would like to gain some more experience with the genre, can you recommend me some fairly easy RPGs? (Also, some RPGs that allow you to save at any time would be nice, I hate it when RPGs have far apart save points, I really, really do).

I have a PSP, PS2, PS3, and a DreamCast. And no, my PSP is not modded, so please don't recommend me any SNES games.

Also, please, I've played enough action RPGs, I'm looking for regular ass RPGs, also, I hate games with a strong focus on loot, so please don't recommend me games like Warcraft or Diablo II.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DAFTPUNK

oblivion is a good choice for you:)

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ravenousrattler

anything made by bioware or bethesda, should be good

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Screw that, you have a computer, so I'm going SNES!

Bahamut Lagoon
Final Fantasies
Dragon Quests
Breath of Fires
Okami
Personas
Legend of Dragoon
Mystic Ark
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song *evil laugh*

I could go on, but I won't.

Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Emandudeguyperson
@DAFTPUNK said:
" oblivion is a good choice for you:) "
I am one of those people that just simply could not get into Fallout 3, do you think I will still like Oblivion? I have heard lots of good things about the game.
Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Noodlearms

You need an easy RPG? Go for Demon's Souls. >:D

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By defaulttag
@Emandudeguyperson: Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 are good entry RPGs. If you want to go hardcore right off the bat, Dragon Age: Origins is good. If you like Japanese style RPGs, you can't go wrong with Final Fantasy games.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Noodlearms said:
" You need an easy RPG? Go for Demon's Souls. >:D "
Or Dark Spire. Or Devil Survivor. Or pretty much any Atlus game that begins with a D.
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DAFTPUNK
@Emandudeguyperson: Ya of course it's nothing like fallout,the combat is not bad, and make sure you get the GOTY edition because it comes with the expansion and knights of the nine which is a quest that gives you good armor and it is like 5 hours or so.
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DAFTPUNK
@Noodlearms: Don't listen to him haha, that game is crazy hard:)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By penguindust
Fallout 3 is on the PS3.  Also there is a demo for Valkyria Chronicles available for download on PSN.  VC is a tractical RPG meaning there is a lot of move-shoot-next turn stuff.  One the PS2, I must recommend Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 FES and Persona 4.  Start with 3 FES and then play P4, because the changes they made in combat, inventory, the UI, and other things are much better in P4, although I feel the story and character of P3 are much better.  Another to look for on the PS2 is Dark Cloud 2.  This is a wonderful action RPG with a very stylish design.  You can try Dragon Age: Origins on the PS3, although I am playing it on the PC which is really where it was meant to be played.  

Oh, for an easy RPG, try Borderlands.  Not much story but it is good to get your feet wet if you are already familiar with FPS games.  If you like loot (slang for treasure) based games, then you might look at Sacred 2: Fallen Angel.  
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By gingertastic_10

Rogue Galaxy for the PS-Double is pretty good.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Steve_C

My first RPG was FF IX. So awesome. FF X is my favourite game OF ALL TIME!!!! though.

If you're looking for the western variety, I found Oblivion to be much more enjoyable than Fallout 3, and ten times less fucked in a technical sense. It felt way more open and more accomodating to different play styles.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By breadfan

Dragon Age.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Hourai
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" @DAFTPUNK said:
" oblivion is a good choice for you:) "

I am one of those people that just simply could not get into Fallout 3, do you think I will still like Oblivion? I have heard lots of good things about the game. "

Definitely not, since Fallout 3 is mostly the same as Oblivion. 

Seconding Dragon Age Origins. It's recent, great, and easy enough to get into. There's an expansion coming out soon as well. 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By TheHBK

Don't play anything out of Japan.  Except maybe Demon's Souls.  But since your a newbie, don't play that. Oh and Persona if you want retarded story telling but pretty fun game mechanics.

Oblivion
Fallout 3
Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect
Dragon Age

dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dyslekt

Dragon age!!  

Dont bother with old ones, live in the now ;)  

You can pause whenever which is nice if you are new to the RPG game. Set it on casual and learn the ropes.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Jayzilla

Dragon Age. It's a great beginner style RPG.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Scullinator

Sacred 2 fallen angel was a fun game.  Diablo style.  Lots of loot and rare weapons to collect.  Cool boss battles and most people that play it were very friendly and helpful.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King said:

"Okami"

Okami is an action adventure, not a role-playing game. 

I'd recommend the following:

• Tales of Eternia[PSP]. Probably the best JRPG I've ever played. Features a real-time, easy-to-learn-hard-to-master combat system, a lengthy main quest, and tons of awesome side-quests, optional dungeons, optional boss fights and secrets. You'll need to import it from Europe since there isn't a North American version, but it should be pretty cheap -- the game was released four years ago -- and PSP games are region free.

• Valkyrie Profile[PSP]. If you're cool with what's essentially a giant, game-spanning time limit(it's not a time limit, but it fills the same function), you can look forward to a fantastic combat system and some great storytelling. I can't stand time limits so I never finished the game, but I really, really liked what I played.

• Mana Khemia: Student Alliance[PSP]. The load times in this game are atrocious. The game loads at the beginning of battles, at the end of battles, and in the middle of battles. It loads when you move between screens, when dialogue occurs, and when a new music track starts playing. Hell, sometimes it even loads when you jump. But if you can get past the loading times -- and the voice acting, which can be quite terrible -- you'll find an incredibly fun RPG with a great battle system, a stellar soundtrack, and what has to be the best, most clever character progression mechanic I've ever seen in a game.

• Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4[PS2]. Has a solid turn-based battle system, some cool boss fights, and an incredibly deep Persona fusion mechanic that allows you to collect and fuse a ton of Personae in order to grant yourself a variety of spells, abilities and powers. The game's main draw, however, is the character interaction. Optional 'Social Links' allow you to bond with characters of your choice. Watching the characters overcome their fears and weaknesses over the course of the Social Links can be a genuinely emotional experience, something youvery rarely find in video games.
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Pessh

Dragon Age and Eternal Sonata

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DAFTPUNK

Star ocean the second story is good? 

Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

"Okami"

Okami is an action adventure, not a role-playing game. 

I'd recommend the following:

• Tales of Eternia[PSP]. Probably the best JRPG I've ever played. Features a real-time, easy-to-learn-hard-to-master combat system, a lengthy main quest, and tons of awesome side-quests, optional dungeons, optional boss fights and secrets. You'll need to import it from Europe since there isn't a North American version, but it should be pretty cheap -- the game was released four years ago -- and PSP games are region free.

• Valkyrie Profile[PSP]. If you're cool with what's essentially a giant, game-spanning time limit(it's not a time limit, but it fills the same function), you can look forward to a fantastic combat system and some great storytelling. I can't stand time limits so I never finished the game, but I really, really liked what I played.

• Mana Khemia: Student Alliance[PSP]. The load times in this game are atrocious. The game loads at the beginning of battles, at the end of battles, and in the middle of battles. It loads when you move between screens, when dialogue occurs, and when a new music track starts playing. Hell, sometimes it even loads when you jump. But if you can get past the loading times -- and the voice acting, which can be quite terrible -- you'll find an incredibly fun RPG with a great battle system, a stellar soundtrack, and what has to be the best, most clever character progression mechanic I've ever seen in a game.

• Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4[PS2]. Has a solid turn-based battle system, some cool boss fights, and an incredibly deep Persona fusion mechanic that allows you to collect and fuse a ton of Personae in order to grant yourself a variety of spells, abilities and powers. The game's main draw, however, is the character interaction. Optional 'Social Links' allow you to bond with characters of your choice. Watching the characters overcome their fears and weaknesses over the course of the Social Links can be a genuinely emotional experience, something youvery rarely find in video games.
"
Now THOSE TYPES OF GAMES are exactly what I'm looking for as answers! Finally a worthwhile post, I should try a few of those out.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#25  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

If you're looking for more traditional turn-based RPG's and have access to the PSN, try out Wild ARMs 1 & 2, Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII, and FF VIII.  All are fantastic games, especially for the price.  Final Fantasy Tactics is also available, but is more of a turn-based strategy game - still very much worth a look if you've got some extra dough.  On the PC side of things, GOG has just put up Arcanum for sale, and you can also find a great many older turn-based RPG's on there as well.  I'd recommend checking out Fallout 1 $ 2 while you're at it. 

For the PS2, you've got a ton of options, ranging from Final Fantasy X (probably my favorite turn-based RPG of all time) to Wild ARMs 3-5, Suikoden 3-5, the excellent and underrated Lord of the Rings RPG, and all sorts of action RPG's if you ever decide to go that route.  Hope this helps!