Cancelling my sub

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hubie21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hubie21

I'm nobody just a lurker who joined a few months ago for extra content because of the quarantine. Today, as someone whose family was victimized by violent crime and was helped enormously by local police through that tragedy and trauma, and appreciating that "white supremacy" is always in the service of class supremacy, I'm out of here. Abby read some Marx!

MisterReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

k

Avatar image for genericgirlname
GenericGirlName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GenericGirlName

@hubie21 said:

I'm nobody just a lurker who joined a few months ago for extra content because of the quarantine. Today, as someone whose family was victimized by violent crime and was helped enormously by local police through that tragedy and trauma, and appreciating that "white supremacy" is always in the service of class supremacy, I'm out of here. Abby read some Marx!

Under Marx the police are literally meant to defend the self interest of the ruling class and are always in service of class supremacy I, what?

Edit: I will edit this to be more clearly a question: why would reading marx change someone's stance on police and their role in society?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

Just because the police help you out doesn't mean they aren't harming others.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really must insist that you elaborate on "read some Marx!"

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By htr10

Hey guys, I’m the kind of person who when he walks into a bathroom with an overflowing toilet, I like to just hang around and see where things are going to go. So, I’m really excited to see where this thread is going to go.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

+1 to being incredibly confused about this Marx reference.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is the worst one of these.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You obviously don't understand what you've read of Marx...

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DT9k

Weird, because even as a white guy I've had 0 positive interactions with the police because they're giant assholes on a power trip. Numerous times I've been pulled over and questioned based on brake or tail lights "being out" only to discover no lights were out after being "let off with a warning this time."

During my time in the service industry the same was true. Every cop demanded obsequious butt-smooching and free coffee. Worse than any Karen.

After being assaulted in separate incidents at home and at a public business I worked for, they showed up late and shrugged their shoulders. Visibly indignant at the suggestion this was their job.

After being arrested on my 21st birthday (I was drunk and deserved it) I was put in a wagon for five hours and repeatedly denied access to a restroom within eyesight of said wagon. Every time I politely asked they told me to my face "fuck you". I pulled down my pants and urinated in the floor of the wagon and in full view of strangers. They drug me out and roughed me up as much as they could get away with to a (white) person on a public street. Then during intake almost every single cop in the process told me I was going to get raped in jail. They were gleeful at the prospect.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ehhhh... I'm not exactly convinced that you've read Marx yourself. Or know who he was. Or what Marxism is. Did you mean Stalin or Trotsky, by chance? That would make a bit more sense.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By htr10

Ha, while you guys are screwing around in here and reading Marx, I’m listening to the new Bombcast that has Austin Walker and Vinny on it. Smell you later!

mouryous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about y'all, but I'll thank OP for providing a good laugh during trying times. Read more Marx, everyone. Carefully! :-D

yoshuaking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Imagine thinking that Marxism = "the police are good actually"

FOH with that. Lock this thread and let these snakes leave.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my platoon's missions in Iraq was providing cordon security so the country could have secure elections.

The invasion and occupation of Iraq was still illegal, immoral, and fundamentally wrong.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@finaldasa: Thank you so much for that. Sincerely.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to personally thank Abby for helping get rid of some of the people we probably didn't want here anyway.

Hubie21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genericgirlname:

We live in market capitalist system dominated by a few extremely wealthy plutocrats. Most white people are working middle income people. Vast majority of cops are working middle income people. All cops should quit their jobs because cops only serve white people in a racist system. But the cops fundamentally are just serving plutocrats and rich people, just like all of us do? Shouldn't we all just quit our jobs,or why all the vitriol for working stiff cops?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hubie21: Real "Yet You participate in society!" energy.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now listen, I don't like Abby either. Not because of her politics, which are good and I agree with, but because I'm afraid that her hair will come alive and eat Vinny. Why don't you just do what I do, and whenever Abby is on screen (or Ben when he has a moustache that might eat Jason) and put a sticky note with a little smiley face drawn on it over them?

TL;DR Sometimes you just gotta accept that your personal experiences are not universal and listen to opposing voices. Given recent events there are a lot of issues people have with police that do not confirm to your biases.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's very little point in asking this poster to explain that Marx comment. Racists and idiots don't operate on logic.

If you can read a pro police agenda into Marx you're operating on a different level.

You can never win an argument with a stupid person because they can't ever realise that they're wrong.

Those internet people who want to keep politics out of gaming are the same ones who are triggered by Incel and started the "Gamergate" movement.

If you disagree with this poster then show your support, so that the people running the site don't lose faith in humanity.

Hubie21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Not clear on meaning. Did you mean to say our society and system is oppressive to all working people?

Avatar image for genericgirlname
GenericGirlName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hubie21 said:

@genericgirlname:

We live in market capitalist system dominated by a few extremely wealthy plutocrats. Most white people are working middle income people. Vast majority of cops are working middle income people. All cops should quit their jobs because cops only serve white people in a racist system. But the cops fundamentally are just serving plutocrats and rich people, just like all of us do? Shouldn't we all just quit our jobs,or why all the vitriol for working stiff cops?

The police are not part of the working class according to Marx, their unions and on the ground work does not exclude them from being in cahoots with the rich. Everyone who is not in the 1% and is not employed by them for the purpose of violence in the name of maintaining the status quo, do not *serve* the rich, we are the workers who generate their wealth. "Middle Class" is irrelevant. The "Petty-bourgeoisie" as Marx would put it, are like crabs in a bucket, members of the same class they should be trying to save.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hubie21 said:

@efesell: Not clear on meaning. Did you mean to say our society and system is oppressive to all working people?

You're arguing with someone that says acab unironically, presenting no alternatives. They have a zero sum state of mind, and would burn everything down if given the chance. Just save yourself a few keystrokes and peace out duder, this isn't the place for you anymore.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colmymeh said:

You can never win an argument with a stupid person because they can't ever realise that they're wrong.

John Stuart Mill? I love that one.

Hubie21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colmymeh said:

There's very little point in asking this poster to explain that Marx comment. Racists and idiots don't operate on logic.

If you can read a pro police agenda into Marx you're operating on a different level.

Those internet people who want to keep politics out of gaming are the same ones who are triggered by Incel and started the "Gamergate" movement.

If you disagree with this poster then show your support, so that the people running the site don't lose faith in humanity.

If you can't read Marx beyond some pro-police or anti-police frame I'd suggest then this discussion really isn't for you. Marx would say cops are workers in a system just like you and me. So when the time is nigh to change the racist plutocrat market capitalist system, why don't you go first? After all Cops got families to feed and in any event getting rid of them won't change the system it will just make it oppressive without cops. Maybe then we'll have paramilitaries or private corporate thugs?

And then dropping the R word. Dude.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, but the only way I can get this thread to make sense in my head is as satire.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I'm getting a bit weary of the rando's deciding that they're so unique as a person that their decisions regarding their subscriber status should be shared with the entire community. Truly a mark of the times where everyone is so self-centered and attributes a great deal of importance to their own lives and that alone. Don't get me wrong, it's totally valid to not give money to a site when you don't vibe with it, but if you are not part of the community at all, literally no one would notice that you're not here anymore.

If the core of the GB commentariat, people like Zombiepie, Humanity, Htr10, ShaggE, SparkyBuzzsaw, Mento, ArbitraryWater, BladeOfCreation, Finaldasa, ZandraVandra and all the other boys & girls who gives enough of a fuck to share their thoughts and go through the whole back & through with others to hash out ideas, If those decided to step away from the site, that would be sad and i would like to hear from these people. If you're not engaging with the community part of the site, why do we need to be clued in on this?

Btw keep an eye out for ~My Subscriber Decision~. I'm whipping up the trailer for it right now, so i imagine i'll make the actual decision on friday. Follow me so you know when it's going down.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CBHZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can’t even tell if this is satire anymore or if you’re just straight fucking tone deaf. Moreso, that any of us even responded to such 0/10 bait.

They helped you, great. They’re terrorizing millions of others, so maybe stop with the narcissism, kid.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By north6

@danthepostman: It's probably bait. I've seen very few people peacing out that i either recognize or have been around for more than few months, though many of whom are admitting as much. As others have said, agreed its also super self aggrandizing, and am tired of reading it.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you guys think we've been getting more frequent premium sales as time goes on and Vinny dedicates more time to promoting it with each Beastcast?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

This thread sure is a real one. It's a hell of a leap from "cops also live in a capitalist society" to "therefore we can never criticize them" (if I'm even interpreting the OP's bizarre argument correctly).

I suppose it's moot though. Surely someone that makes a big deal about leaving isn't doing it just to try to start an argument, right? They would definitely just immediately exit the site they hate, right?

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

Why do you guys think we've been getting more frequent premium sales as time goes on and Vinny dedicates more time to promoting it with each Beastcast?

Hoping it's just to help with covid, lots of websites were doing this. Part of me thinks there's more to it, CBS invested in GB a while ago, after all. Hoping it's worked out for them, if not, I'd imagine we'll know within 6 months or so. Will be a tough time for a lot of businesses.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6:

I couldn't remember who I was quoting.

Cheers.

And yes you were right about my other reply being banned.

I couldn't resist it after he said I dropped the R word, I could just hear that word in my head in Norm MacDonald's voice.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colmymeh: I'm good like that. Lot of people with tensions high for so many reasons, everyone should just stop and remember that everyone is an actual person on the other side of this trashfire of an internet. Respect.

Hubie21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread sure is a real one. It's a hell of a leap from "cops also live in a capitalist society" to "therefore we can never criticize them" (if I'm even interpreting the OP's bizarre argument correctly).

I suppose it's moot though. Surely someone that makes a big deal about leaving isn't doing it just to try to start an argument, right? They would definitely just immediately exit the site they hate, right?

Strawman. Of course we can criticize the cops. Just don't want to support Abby's ACAB - all cops and prison guards jump first and quit their jobs because they're the fundamental problem. Instead of pointing fingers at working people (many OC by the way) why not talk about how we get to the system we want to live in? I for one am really tired of sloppy reductive thinking about this issue. So tired in fact I don't want to financially support it anymore. Enjoy your cop-free oppressive future though. I wonder if paramilitary Death Squads are next.

xhunterpaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hubie21: Her stance is ignorant and disappointing. But she has free speech and the right to her own opinion. But things you do outside of work can affect your job. I would personally would like to see her get fired. But I will not cancel my subscription I just will not watch or listen to any content she is in.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@hubie21 said:
@chaser324 said:

Strawman. Of course we can criticize the cops. Just don't want to support Abby's ACAB - all cops and prison guards jump first and quit their jobs because they're the fundamental problem. Instead of pointing fingers at working people (many OC by the way) why not talk about how we get to the system we want to live in? I for one am really tired of sloppy reductive thinking about this issue. So tired in fact I don't want to financially support it anymore. Enjoy your cop-free oppressive future though. I wonder if paramilitary Death Squads are next.

I just have to point out you attempted to call him out for using a strawman logical fallacy and then in your reply state that "paramilitary Death Squads are next" in a cop-free future.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Chaser did make a strawman argument though. The paramilitary death squads comment might be ridiculous hyperbole but I don't see how it's a strawman.

failburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye!!!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Personally i don't exactly know what the future should look like but i do know there has to be a change when the pattern keeps happening and there's no sight of those inside the police force trying to figure out why it keeps happening and change for the better. No significant accountability within that prevents the bad apples operating in the way that they do. These bad apples are not properly identified early on and told to move on before they end up with a badge.

If you need to send out 4 cops as a police department to deal with an unarmed person over a 20$ issue, you don't require a budget of that size. It's not like they kept their buddy in check neither.

But okay for the sake of this post, let's be charitable and assume that this all was a freak-accident that has nothing to do with the organization itself. Tragedies can happen occassionally and every organization finds a bad apple in it's ranks every now and then. Now if you're a responsible organization , you immediatly have to question and investigate where it all went wrong and how you will prevent this from happening again. I don't see much of that at all. I see the police tightening their grip on their weapons and upping the violence towards anyone that doesn't wear their gear. People with their arms in the air, reporters doing their job, protestors sitting down etc. I see their chiefs, those that are chosen by the organization to be the best the organisation has to offer, spout nonsense that they who destroy things are equally as responsible for the murder as the guy that committed the murder. I don't think that's the kind of leadership that will look inside and learn from it's mistakes personally.

And naturally, we all know that this is not a new issue that has just popped up and can be solved by saying bye to some incompetent leaders and hope the organisation is able to choose better leaders this time around. This has been going on for centuries. If the organization is not willing to look inside and change themselves with all this time that has been given them to do that, an outside force has to pressure them into doing that or be replaced. If my electronics company keeps making toasters that burn down people's homes, people should spend their money elsewhere and my organization should cease to exist.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: I know you're being sarcastic but I genuinely do love Abby, and I still do. I found the tweet incredibly unhelpful and offensive as I do all ACAB type rhetoric.

bta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you somehow talking about a different Marx...?