Cathedral - A new Metroidvania that is incredible! Anyone else playing it?

Grocery_Bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grocery_Bag

Hey guys,

I came across this new metroidvania on Steam and wanted to spread the word about the game because it is incredible. I don't use social media so don't really have any other outlet to discuss the game. This seems like a game that would be right up several members of the GB Crew's alley, but I don't really know how to recommend games to them.

I won't bore you with too many details, but it is an NES styled metroidvania with an art style similar to a Shovel Knight or The Messenger, a huge world structure similar to Simon's Quest, but much easier to navigate (there is even a fortune teller for hints if you get lost), combat and boss fights which can be as challenging as Hollow Knight, and platforming which stands up next to Monster Boy or The Messenger.

Also the music is a HUGE standout, great soundtrack akin to a Shovel Knight.

Overall it looks like it will take me around 30hrs to complete. Steam and GOG page links are below, please spread the word. These guys made a great game.

Also, is there anyone else out there playing it? would love to hear what you guys think...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056180/Cathedral/

https://www.gog.com/game/cathedral

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This looks good - I've popped it on my watch list. There's obviously been a glut of this sort of game so I have had to be selective in which to pick from but this one looks like a nice sidestep from the last few I've played. Might give it a go in the next few weeks if time is kind to me.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool, I wish I was better at platformers and metroidvanias.

Grocery_Bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I agree. The market is definitely over saturated with MV's, especially on Switch. Currently it is out only on Mac, PC, and Linux, but I heard the developer mention in a post they are looking at a Switch release.

I played Monster Boy and Bloodstained this year (both of which I love), but I definitely like this more than Bloodstained, which may be a controversial statement. This is the most streamlined MV I have played in awhile. Not a lot of downtime doing things like crafting in between adventuring and exploring. Tried OUTBUDDIES but too slow moving for me.

Also the button input and traversal mechanics in this game are exceptional. Each dungeon has its own gameplay variation which really mixes up the platforming and mobility. There were a couple abilities I received that really surprised me and sparked a lot of "Oh that's how I would get in that area, definitely going back there now.." moments.

I know it may sound like I'm gushing over this game, but I really am amazed by how much this little gem plays.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game ticks a lot of boxes for me, and the comments here only back it up. Will pick this up for sure

Grocery_Bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Grocery_Bag

Update: Just beat the game.

Took 32hrs and my Item progress is 94.61%.

Died 409 times. Explored 669 rooms.

Final Verdict: Definitely worth the $15 asking price.

Also, will definitely dive back in to get 100% items.