Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By chaser324  Moderator

2012's Game of 2011

Skyrim

No Caption Provided

Solid DLC kept bringing me back to the dragon infested realm of Skyrim this year, and if I let myself, I could easily dump another few hundred hours into playing it. A full year later, this is still an incredible game.

Runner Up:The Witcher 2

No Caption Provided

I feel bad for ignoring this game prior to its console release, but once I played it, I was really thrilled with the beautiful graphics, varied combat, and the incredible storytelling and world building.

Most Disappointing Game of 2011

NFS: Most Wanted

No Caption Provided

Perhaps its biggest mistake was claiming that Most Wanted would be the successor to the classic Burnout Paradise, but Criterion really messed up here. As someone that spent 100+ hours in Paradise City getting 100% in single player and doing barrel rolls and flatspins in multiplayer, I was barely able to motivate myself to work my way to the top of the Most Wanted list. There are a lot things you can point to as reasons why this game is a failure, the baffling design of the single-player and uninteresting city being chief in my mind, but the bottom line is that I just couldn't manage to have any fun.

Runner Up:Street Fighter X Tekken

No Caption Provided

I actually like the core fighting (though maybe it does end in a draw a bit too often) and the cast of characters quite a bit, but the experience is really diminished by the gem system, DLC debacle, and bumpy online play.

Soundtrack of the Year

Persona 4 Arena

No Caption Provided

A veritable greatest hits of tracks from Persona 3 and 4. This being Giant Bomb, I think those games are already lauded enough that I don't need to say anything else.

Favorite Tracks: Heartbeat Heartbreak, Now I Know, Burn My Dread

Runner Up:Hotline Miami

No Caption Provided

An expertly crafted collection of tracks that pair perfectly with the 80's acid trip visuals and plot.

Favorite Tracks: Daisuke, Crystals, Hotline

Games that Missed the Top 10 but Deserve a Mention

• CoD: Black Ops II - A surprisingly well crafted single-player experience (except for the "Strike Force" missions). Same great multiplayer as always.
  • Halo 4 - Congrats to 343 for crafting a game that makes me care about Halo again. I can't wait to see more from them.
  • Far Cry 3 - The first Far Cry game that feels to me like more than just a tech demo.
  • Borderlands 2 - The humor is very hit or miss, but the co-op is still consistently great and the increased variety of terrain is appreciated.
  • Spelunky - Great HD update to an indie classic, and its finally a way for me to give Derek Yu some money for all of the time I spent playing this game for free.
  • Max Payne 3 - Rockstar's brand of storytelling is in full effect here and delivers an excellent gritty tale of Max Payne's alcohol and painkiller fueled trip through Brazil.
  • NBA 2K13 - MyCareer continues to be the best experience available in sports games.

The List

10. Fez

No Caption Provided

On its face, this game is an excellent puzzle-platformer with beautiful retro-inspired visuals. However, once you really dig deeper (cue the Inception sound), this is a game unlike any other. I also feel a bit obligated to put this on my list because I fear Phil Fish considers hurting himself every time he sees a 2012 GotY list without Fez on it.

9. Rhythm Heaven Fever

No Caption Provided

The reason I love Rhythm Heaven Fever is because it's exactly what I've come to expect from the previous two entries in the franchise: simple yet demanding rhythm gameplay with cute visuals and a dash of Japanese weirdness. Thank you Nintendo for keeping it simple and not ruining this with horrible waggle controls.

8. Diablo III

No Caption Provided

It's more Diablo...so yeah, it's pretty great. The only real surprise here is that it isn't higher on this list.

7. Mass Effect 3

No Caption Provided

While it might not have closed out Shepard's story in the best way possible, Mass Effect 3 still provided an excellent action-packed romp around the galaxy. The third-person shooter action is the best in the series and made for a surprisingly satisfying multiplayer experience, but it lacks the little intimate character moments that made Mass Effect 2 feel so special.

6. Forza Horizon

No Caption Provided

Coming out of E3 2012, I thought this game would pale in comparison to Criterion's latest effort, but I couldn't have been more wrong. NFS: Most Wanted turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments of the year, and Forza Horizon delivered an absolutely incredible experience with its drift-tuned Forza driving in a jaw-droppingly beautiful open world. Considering the pedigree of the guys at Playground Games, I'm not sure why I ever doubted them.

5. SSX

No Caption Provided

I spent more time playing the demo for this game than I did with some games I paid $60 for. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the survival aspects (especially the caves), but the basic feel of tricking and boosting down a mountain is still extremely satisfying. The excellent collection of indie and electronictracks on the soundtrack were also a real bonus.

4. Sleeping Dogs

No Caption Provided

A game with a development history as tumultuous as this one had no business being more than mediocre GTA-clone shovelware, but against all odds, Sleeping Dogs is fantastic. A charming lead character, unique setting, and satisfying beat 'em up mechanics earn this game a spot alongside GTA IV and Saints Row 3 as one of the best open world crime games of this console generation.

3. Journey

No Caption Provided

Similar to The Walking Dead, Journey is a game where you could easily criticize its lack of gameplay, and in the case of Journey specifically, you could even criticize it for the lack of any real exposition. As pretentious as it sounds, Journey is a game that uses the video game medium to communicate tone and emotion in ways that have never really been done before. A truly unique and special experience.

2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

No Caption Provided

This is the revival that XCOM has deserved for a long time. Firaxis managed to capture all of the magic of the classic tough-as-nails turn-based gameplay with a whole host of improvements, refinements, and streamlining to make it accessible for a new audience.

1. The Walking Dead

No Caption Provided

There's really no praise I can heap on this game that dozens upon dozens of video game critics haven't already. This is the game of the year, go ahead and crown them. In terms of actual gameplay, The Walking Dead is little more than a shallow point-and-click adventure with occasional quick time events, but what it lacks in interactivity, it more than makes up for with a great cast of characters and some of the most emotionally affecting storytelling ever seen in a game. The Walking Dead is simply the best experience I've had with a video game this year, and it's a pretty good bet that it will be a touchstone for video game storytelling that critics will refer back to for years to come.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

2012's Game of 2011

Skyrim

No Caption Provided

Solid DLC kept bringing me back to the dragon infested realm of Skyrim this year, and if I let myself, I could easily dump another few hundred hours into playing it. A full year later, this is still an incredible game.

Runner Up:The Witcher 2

No Caption Provided

I feel bad for ignoring this game prior to its console release, but once I played it, I was really thrilled with the beautiful graphics, varied combat, and the incredible storytelling and world building.

Most Disappointing Game of 2011

NFS: Most Wanted

No Caption Provided

Perhaps its biggest mistake was claiming that Most Wanted would be the successor to the classic Burnout Paradise, but Criterion really messed up here. As someone that spent 100+ hours in Paradise City getting 100% in single player and doing barrel rolls and flatspins in multiplayer, I was barely able to motivate myself to work my way to the top of the Most Wanted list. There are a lot things you can point to as reasons why this game is a failure, the baffling design of the single-player and uninteresting city being chief in my mind, but the bottom line is that I just couldn't manage to have any fun.

Runner Up:Street Fighter X Tekken

No Caption Provided

I actually like the core fighting (though maybe it does end in a draw a bit too often) and the cast of characters quite a bit, but the experience is really diminished by the gem system, DLC debacle, and bumpy online play.

Soundtrack of the Year

Persona 4 Arena

No Caption Provided

A veritable greatest hits of tracks from Persona 3 and 4. This being Giant Bomb, I think those games are already lauded enough that I don't need to say anything else.

Favorite Tracks: Heartbeat Heartbreak, Now I Know, Burn My Dread

Runner Up:Hotline Miami

No Caption Provided

An expertly crafted collection of tracks that pair perfectly with the 80's acid trip visuals and plot.

Favorite Tracks: Daisuke, Crystals, Hotline

Games that Missed the Top 10 but Deserve a Mention

• CoD: Black Ops II - A surprisingly well crafted single-player experience (except for the "Strike Force" missions). Same great multiplayer as always.
  • Halo 4 - Congrats to 343 for crafting a game that makes me care about Halo again. I can't wait to see more from them.
  • Far Cry 3 - The first Far Cry game that feels to me like more than just a tech demo.
  • Borderlands 2 - The humor is very hit or miss, but the co-op is still consistently great and the increased variety of terrain is appreciated.
  • Spelunky - Great HD update to an indie classic, and its finally a way for me to give Derek Yu some money for all of the time I spent playing this game for free.
  • Max Payne 3 - Rockstar's brand of storytelling is in full effect here and delivers an excellent gritty tale of Max Payne's alcohol and painkiller fueled trip through Brazil.
  • NBA 2K13 - MyCareer continues to be the best experience available in sports games.

The List

10. Fez

No Caption Provided

On its face, this game is an excellent puzzle-platformer with beautiful retro-inspired visuals. However, once you really dig deeper (cue the Inception sound), this is a game unlike any other. I also feel a bit obligated to put this on my list because I fear Phil Fish considers hurting himself every time he sees a 2012 GotY list without Fez on it.

9. Rhythm Heaven Fever

No Caption Provided

The reason I love Rhythm Heaven Fever is because it's exactly what I've come to expect from the previous two entries in the franchise: simple yet demanding rhythm gameplay with cute visuals and a dash of Japanese weirdness. Thank you Nintendo for keeping it simple and not ruining this with horrible waggle controls.

8. Diablo III

No Caption Provided

It's more Diablo...so yeah, it's pretty great. The only real surprise here is that it isn't higher on this list.

7. Mass Effect 3

No Caption Provided

While it might not have closed out Shepard's story in the best way possible, Mass Effect 3 still provided an excellent action-packed romp around the galaxy. The third-person shooter action is the best in the series and made for a surprisingly satisfying multiplayer experience, but it lacks the little intimate character moments that made Mass Effect 2 feel so special.

6. Forza Horizon

No Caption Provided

Coming out of E3 2012, I thought this game would pale in comparison to Criterion's latest effort, but I couldn't have been more wrong. NFS: Most Wanted turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments of the year, and Forza Horizon delivered an absolutely incredible experience with its drift-tuned Forza driving in a jaw-droppingly beautiful open world. Considering the pedigree of the guys at Playground Games, I'm not sure why I ever doubted them.

5. SSX

No Caption Provided

I spent more time playing the demo for this game than I did with some games I paid $60 for. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the survival aspects (especially the caves), but the basic feel of tricking and boosting down a mountain is still extremely satisfying. The excellent collection of indie and electronictracks on the soundtrack were also a real bonus.

4. Sleeping Dogs

No Caption Provided

A game with a development history as tumultuous as this one had no business being more than mediocre GTA-clone shovelware, but against all odds, Sleeping Dogs is fantastic. A charming lead character, unique setting, and satisfying beat 'em up mechanics earn this game a spot alongside GTA IV and Saints Row 3 as one of the best open world crime games of this console generation.

3. Journey

No Caption Provided

Similar to The Walking Dead, Journey is a game where you could easily criticize its lack of gameplay, and in the case of Journey specifically, you could even criticize it for the lack of any real exposition. As pretentious as it sounds, Journey is a game that uses the video game medium to communicate tone and emotion in ways that have never really been done before. A truly unique and special experience.

2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

No Caption Provided

This is the revival that XCOM has deserved for a long time. Firaxis managed to capture all of the magic of the classic tough-as-nails turn-based gameplay with a whole host of improvements, refinements, and streamlining to make it accessible for a new audience.

1. The Walking Dead

No Caption Provided

There's really no praise I can heap on this game that dozens upon dozens of video game critics haven't already. This is the game of the year, go ahead and crown them. In terms of actual gameplay, The Walking Dead is little more than a shallow point-and-click adventure with occasional quick time events, but what it lacks in interactivity, it more than makes up for with a great cast of characters and some of the most emotionally affecting storytelling ever seen in a game. The Walking Dead is simply the best experience I've had with a video game this year, and it's a pretty good bet that it will be a touchstone for video game storytelling that critics will refer back to for years to come.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I like this list a lot.

Most Wanted definitely bags up the "Most Disappointing" award in my book, too.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By gaminghooligan

Nice list. And thx for mentioning that gem system in Street Fighter x Tekken, I'm not a huge fighting game person, but I looked that up and no thanks. I'll stick with MK for now.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@HistoryInRust: Even if Most Wanted hadn't been hyped as Burnout Paradise 2, I still would've been disappointed. In terms of just the pure driving/racing, it doesn't feel nearly as good as Hot Pursuit did two years ago.

@gaminghooligan: The good news is that I think fan reaction to this game will force Capcom to get its act together for whatever their next fighting game release is (Darkstalkers possibly). I'd hate to see it continue going in this direction.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

Love the praise people are giving Forza: Horizon, because it's a racing game people overlook it for GOTY but this is by definitely one the best games that came out this year.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@zombie2011: It deserves it. I had major doubts going in about how well Forza racing would work in an open world, but it turns out it works extremely well.