• 64 results
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kortex

I really emjoyed the the chat during and after BLLSL. It seems the chat has finally gone offline. My question is: why?
I think a chat section would be great addition to GB.

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LumpOfCole

For members perhaps? :)

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Heartagram
@LumpOfCole: Oh god don't even mention member exclusive stuff. People will flip!
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By hockeymask27

Most likely they are working out more kinks. 

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Damn. I actually thought it was going to be up forever. Oh well.

I know Dave was talking about maybe integrating it somewhere else on the site, like in a chatbox on the front page or something, but it seems to me that that would be too messy.

On the other hand, make it public and you'll have hundreds of users in there and it'll be nowhere near cogent enough, like during TNT and the BLLSL.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says
@kortex: I want that medal...in real life
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

There's really no need for chat.

Avatar image for williamrlbaker@
williamrlbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By williamrlbaker
@Heartagram said:
" @LumpOfCole: Oh god don't even mention member exclusive stuff. People will flip! "
if its true, I'll officially leave giantbomb and whiskey media sites forever. thats crossing the line a little.
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kortex
@blacklabeldomm: For an anual fee of only 49.95$ it's yours.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64
@Axxol said:
" There's really no need for chat. "
True that, well, for live events it's alright.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Damn. I actually thought it was going to be up forever. Oh well.  I know Dave was talking about maybe integrating it somewhere else on the site, like in a chatbox on the front page or something, but it seems to me that that would be too messy.  On the other hand, make it public and you'll have hundreds of users in there and it'll be nowhere near cogent enough, like during TNT and the BLLSL. "
They could have a public chat and a members only chat 

or something like facebook chat where it's similar to istant messages appearing at the bottom of the screen.
williamrlbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By williamrlbaker
@JJOR64 said:
" @Axxol said:
True that, well, for live events it's alright. "
I allways love people whom make this silly statement.
theres really no need for it....which in translation, I don't use it  or dont think its needed so every one shouldn't think its needed.

In reality its needed because people want it, the chat for near 2 days before live live was bustling with people and good conversation, and for a day after live live it was the same. People want it. obviously its needed.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By rjaylee

While I think the chat was also fun, I didn't find it particularly good when member counts reached far too high due to the large volume of messages, even with larger global cooldowns. I had a much, much better experience int he Screened chat room when the member count hovered around 300-500 people though... but it's not realistic to obviously enforce limits on headcounts like that.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Vinny_Says
@kortex said:
" @blacklabeldomm: For an anual fee of only 49.95$ it's yours. "
do they send me an envelope so I can send it back when my subscription expires?
NZV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NZV

On a semi-related subject, having the chat way under the video was a bit of a pain. I had to scroll all the way down to see it, to the point where I couldn't see the video anymore. So the options were either video, chat, or the bottom half the video and the top 3 lines of chat. An option to have it on the side and maybe smaller seems a lot more convenient.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kortex
@LumpOfCole:  I thought the same for a sec but then I repressed this idea as quickly as possible, even I plan to subscribe as soon as paypal is a billing option.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster
@williamrlbaker said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Axxol said:
I allways love people whom make this silly statement. theres really no need for it....which in translation, I don't use it  or dont think its needed so every one shouldn't think its needed.  In reality its needed because people want it, the chat for near 2 days before live live was bustling with people and good conversation, and for a day after live live it was the same. People want it. obviously its needed. "
So wanting something also means you need it. Okay, that makes a lot of sense. What the hell was I thinking? I should just agree with everyone else.
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kortex
@blacklabeldomm:  Actually, they will self-destruct the day your subscription expires causing a giant mushroom cloud.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Axxol said:
" @williamrlbaker said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Axxol said:
I allways love people whom make this silly statement. theres really no need for it....which in translation, I don't use it  or dont think its needed so every one shouldn't think its needed.  In reality its needed because people want it, the chat for near 2 days before live live was bustling with people and good conversation, and for a day after live live it was the same. People want it. obviously its needed. "
So wanting something also means you need it. Okay, that makes a lot of sense. What the hell was I thinking? I should just agree with everyone else. "
Dude, thinking for yourself is so uncool.  Get with the damn program.
MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MaddProdigy
@kortex:  That's a sweet ass custom medal man.
reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By reddin

I really enjoyed the chat during the time in between the TNT and the BALLS. I'm not that much of a forum dweller, and it was nice to have it open and have a glance at it in between missions/levels/whatever.
Shame they pulled it offline, and I hope to see it back at some point.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster
@InfamousBIG said:
" @Axxol said:
" @williamrlbaker said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Axxol said:
So wanting something also means you need it. Okay, that makes a lot of sense. What the hell was I thinking? I should just agree with everyone else. "
Dude, thinking for yourself is so uncool.  Get with the damn program. "
Yeah bro, I should totally hop on the bandwagon. Shame on me for having an opinion; I am now a puppet!
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kortex
@NZV:  Or maybe as an transparent overlay on the lower third of the video.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax

You enjoyed the GB chat during the Big Live Live Show? Wow.

williamrlbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By williamrlbaker
@InfamousBIG said:
" @Axxol said:
" @williamrlbaker said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Axxol said:
Dude, thinking for yourself is so uncool.  Get with the damn program. "

we have 2 scenarios here.
We have its not needed said without any logical reason for it not being needed. We have a forum? wow there are countless other sites out there with forums and they have...TA DA chat rooms. 

We have a chat room for 3-4 days and for 3-4 days its filled with people chatting it up, lively conversation, fun conversation, intelligent conversation. and most of it was without the live live show, just people going to giantbomb.com/chat and chatting it up.  People want it, there is a desire for it, therefor its needed it completes the site, it offers a place for people to instantly reply to each other instead of browsing a forum, finding a conversation, saying something and hoping someone possibly answers within a few minutes if not longer. 
*one can desire food, and since food is needed...the same can be said of a chat room, it gives people a place to chill, and obviously the people on giantbomb and whiskeymedia can do chat rooms*

we have 1 point and another point.
1 point is its not needed.
Another point is it is needed.

Just because one says its not needed doesn't make it so, and just cause one says its needed doesn't make it so.
but with the chat being actively used for 3 days without the live live show...seems to me quite a few people want it, It was fun.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

They would have to make rooms, private rooms and groups or else it would just be spam like it is during live events.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By karneh
@LumpOfCole: 

Aren't we all members- OH WAIT
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kortex
@Axxol:  It's cool you dont need or want it. but could it harm your gb-experience if there would be a chat? you dont have to use it. i guess.
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kortex
@crusader8463:  I bet the Snide could pull it off.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I am basing this off absolutely nothing, but: 

Keeping the chat = Less people posting on the site, which means less search engine results, and less people clicking around on Giant Bomb, which means less ads being seen/clicked. 

Again, based off of nothing. The truth lies with the engineers.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By crusader8463
@kortex:  Me too, just saying that it might be a lot of work to add something as simple sounding as chat into the site well.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By JJWeatherman

The chat is a waste of bandwidth when nothing is going on.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Aetos
@natetodamax said:
" You enjoyed the GB chat during the Big Live Live Show? Wow. "
Yeah, it wasn't that great. To many people people freaking out about Sara. Kinda creepy.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ch13696
@kortex said:
" I really emjoyed the the chat during and after BLLSL. It seems the chat has finally gone offline. My question is: why? I think a chat section would be great addition to GB. "
What? Sorry, I wasn't listening. I got lost in the shininess of the medal.
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kortex
@JJWeatherman:  when there is nothing going on, the bandwith shouldnt be affected. right?
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman
@kortex said:
" @JJWeatherman:  when there is nothing going on, the bandwith shouldnt be affected. right? "
I dunno. I'm no expert. Seems like it would cost them something just to keep a chat running. Maybe not a lot. Dunno.
kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kortex
@Tactical_Kill:  that was kreepy. but i dont think this would become a regular problem. at least here at gb. except when vinny is on camera :)
reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By reddin
@JJWeatherman: It actually seemed like more of a waste when there was something going on..
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Phished0ne

I never saw anything i would call "intelligent/interesting conversation" in the GB chat.  But hey, to each his/her own, if people want to endure that, more power to them.

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LumpOfCole

Chat was extremely buggy for the last couple of days, probably because of the severe overcrowding from the Live show. It's probably just getting repaired and all that.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By MichaelBach

They will probably make a better one with more features that will be used during the coming weekly live shows.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By Hector
@Axxol said:
Yeah..we have the forums.
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By commandercup
@Hector said:
" @Axxol said:
Yeah..we have the forums. "
A chat is a whole different beast. I think having a chat is a great idea (I was actually creating a new thread when I found this one) since it'll help clear out some of the clutter on the forums of duplicate threads created by newer members or people in general complaining about things as they don't need to create new threads for their rants or basic questions. At the same time, a chat is a much more personal way to talk and it's a whole lot easier to have discussions with people in a less formal way. Plus a chat is a great place for small talk and general chit chat.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Synthballs

Isn't their an IRC chatroom?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Branthog

Frankly, I don't like the full-time chat idea. It detracts from meaningful and thoughtful conversation and often turns into just another hassle that has to be monitored, moderated, maintained, and leads to lots of infighting when people misunderstand each other. I ran a site about the size of Giant Bomb and those were some of the reasons I never implemented IRC or chat of any type for twelve years and why I refused to endorse the "unaffiliated" community constructed IRC/chat options that popped up for it. And what happened? Within days, it became a hassle and people who got along fine in forums were mortal enemies as a result of chat. And it became another thing to constantly monitor and moderate.

I think it's great for special events, but I don't really see a need for it otherwise (and I did spend a lot of time in the chat the last day and a half).

Besides, isn't there already #giantbomb on IRC somewhere? There must be.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By commandercup
@Branthog said:
" Frankly, I don't like the full-time chat idea. It detracts from meaningful and thoughtful conversation and often turns into just another hassle that has to be monitored, moderated, maintained, and leads to lots of infighting when people misunderstand each other. I ran a site about the size of Giant Bomb and those were some of the reasons I never implemented IRC or chat of any type for twelve years and why I refused to endorse the "unaffiliated" community constructed IRC/chat options that popped up for it. And what happened? Within days, it became a hassle and people who got along fine in forums were mortal enemies as a result of chat. And it became another thing to constantly monitor and moderate.  I think it's great for special events, but I don't really see a need for it otherwise (and I did spend a lot of time in the chat the last day and a half).  Besides, isn't there already #giantbomb on IRC somewhere? There must be. "
That can be true, but with proper moderation (I'm sure there are more than a few community members who'd be willing to moderate a chat) it shouldn't be a problem. A forum I used to frequent (overclock.net) had a chat for quite a long time and they had no real problems.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Mrnitropb

After getting nauseous from watching chat flying off the screen with 10K plus users, no I am happy to never use it again.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By Jost1

The chat was super fun, what up my chat peeps

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By m1k3

they should put a chatroom for matchmaking. maybe like 'giantbomb.com/matchmaking' then you select a game and enter that chat room.