Cheap games in Australia

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Hey guys, so if any of you are fellow aussies then you will know that our games market is horribly priced for reasons that no one can really explain.  
Because of this i was wondering if anyone knows of any good deals that are out there in Aus at the moment or indeed, any good websites that are generaly well priced.  
We just got a GAME store in our city and i was excited by this till i took a look at their prices. Never going to shop there i dont think.  
So yeah, any ideas on where to get cheap games in Australia??? 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By metal_mills

Import, import, import. Try www.365games.co.uk or www.cdwow.com.   You can get games for about $40-$50. Both have fast shipping(and cheaper than local sites for shipping!) but cdwow takes a while to get stock in so only buy when its in stock from there.

Also check out  http://www.ecogamer.com/ for local sales, deals and catalogs. It's a pretty useful site finding whats coming up in specials or whatever.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By lucas_kelly
Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hats

dvd.co.uk is a good one as well

and cdwow.com.au 
cdwow.com will send you to the UK site

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Cramsy

JB are usually real good with prices, and most stores will price match them (GAME included) Which is good as you get points every time you purchase something with game,which add to a $30 gift voucher for no real reason. Ebay is usually my go-to though. Goddam it sucks to be a gamer in Australia

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfizzy

Yeah i usually go to JB Hifi coz they seem to have the lowest prices overall. Tho i love the massive sales that EB has every 6 months or so :D

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DCFGS3

yeah, JB if you want to go local, and EB has crazy sales every now and again. I hear Play-Asia is good too.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eric_buck
@Cramsy: Ah shit. I'm moving to Australia.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By EVO

JB Hi-Fi. But since they stopped stocking games sealed I've stopped buying games there. Yeah, I'm anal.

Otherwise, eBay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I'm a big Ebay user too, but I'm one of those people who waits for the price of games to go down before buying most of my stuff, just because the pricing is so bad. No fucking way I'm paying for anything with a RRP of $120. Even the cheaper games are a stretch at 70-80 bucks most of the time so it's very rare that I do any shopping at retail stores, and if I do it'll be for cheap deals on really old second hand stuff.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cramsy

Does my head in how (some)  people in the US whinge about games being $60 

US: $60 
AUD: $65 

New release games  
AUD: $110 
US: $ 101.28 

Imagine the shit storm if games were $101 in the US 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shirogane

That's why you import, get it for like half the price, and 3 months earlier? Win. 

JB generally has the best prices, although there are a few smaller stores, depending on where you live, try dungeon crawl on ebay? they have a store in melbourne too.
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrfizzy
@Cramsy: oh yeah, know what you mean. If anyone in America tried those prices the guns would come out (literally) and theyd never shut up about it. grrr. 
XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By XxBarretxX

i read the title and laughed at the idea lol

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrfizzy
@XxBarretxX: yeah well, thanks for contributing... 
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Captain_Insano
@Metal_Mills said:
" Import, import, import. Try www.365games.co.uk or www.cdwow.com.   You can get games for about $40-$50. Both have fast shipping(and cheaper than local sites for shipping!) but cdwow takes a while to get stock in so only buy when its in stock from there.  Also check out  http://www.ecogamer.com/ for local sales, deals and catalogs. It's a pretty useful site finding whats coming up in specials or whatever. "
do UK xbox 360 games work perfectly fine here? over live also?
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By metal_mills
@Captain_Insano said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
" Import, import, import. Try www.365games.co.uk or www.cdwow.com.   You can get games for about $40-$50. Both have fast shipping(and cheaper than local sites for shipping!) but cdwow takes a while to get stock in so only buy when its in stock from there.  Also check out  http://www.ecogamer.com/ for local sales, deals and catalogs. It's a pretty useful site finding whats coming up in specials or whatever. "
do UK xbox 360 games work perfectly fine here? over live also? "
I believe so. UK games are PAL and so will work on an Australian console. They should work over live just fine too.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Asks Oldschool, I'm sure he's well aware of all the various sources of cheap games in Oz. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By oldschool
@Linkyshinks said:

" Asks Oldschool, I'm sure he's well aware of all the various sources of cheap games in Oz.  "

Most of it has been covered.  JB is best for general new release prices.  EB Games is the worst, unless they are having a promotion, as is Harvey Norman and Dick Smith.

The best thing to do is buy on catalogue sale at Big W, Target and K-Mart, and always drop in to any store that sells games to see if there are any clearance games. 

If however, you really want cheap prices, then you have to import, but it depends what console you have.  If it is a DS, PSP or PS3, then it doesn't matter.  If it is a 360, then you have to make sure it is a region-free game.  If it is a Wii, unless you use Homebrew to boot it up (to bypass region coding on legitimate import games, not piracy), then you cannot import. 

Links for playasia to give you an idea: 
playstation3™  
 nintendo ds™  
sony psp™  
 xbox360™ 
 nintendo™ wii 

As for a list of region free games on the 360, use this: 
 Xbox360™ Regional Compatibility Guide 

Postage normally takes 10 days if you use the cheapest one, and that costs $3-4.  Games for a DS are mostly $35 US, so posted it is about $42 Au, better than our $60.  The same applies for other games.  They also have a lot of awesome specials.  

Another good site I use is: 
DVDBoxOffice.com -Video Games, Nintendo DS Games, Playstation 2 Games, Xbox Games, Xbox 360 Games, Gamecube Games, PC Games, Sony PSP Games     

This one is in Canada and the prices are in Canadian, much the same as Australian, and there is normally no postage charge. 

You think you have it bad, I live in regional north-west Tasmania and there are no game stores for many a mile and the nearest Big W is 3 hours away.  Explains why I import a lot. 

Hope that helps.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

I read many Aussie gamers buy CD keys at a price cheaper online than the packaged disc or digital download product. Legitimately, mind you: the devs and publisher do get paid according to the sites' FAQs. You buy the key, they email it to you within a few hours, you plug it into the particular download service (ie EADM, Steam) and you download the game. Apparently they're so cheap because there is no physical product/inventory to keep or ship since they email it to you.

In fact I used http://www.ozcdkeys.com/ to buy a Battlefield 2 Complete key (for use on EADM) for less than $15 USD when the game itself cost $30 for a digital copy from the EA store itself. And I live in America where games are already "cheap". Now that the Booster pack maps are free for BF2 since the 1.50 patch, you can get essentially the same game for $10 (minus the not-quite-standalone expansion Special Forces that nobody plays since it launches a separate exe and cannot play the basic BF2 maps) so that specific deal isn't as great. But they have many more; and sadly a few games require you to somehow obtain a copy of the game data itself since there is no current way of digitally obtaining it via cd-key alone (such as GTA4 -- perhaps once Rockstar Social Club expands?).

There is also h ttp://www.cdkeysdirect.com/ but I haven't used them. However I have read positive comments in other forums.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrfizzy
@oldschool: thanks for the input, good to see that other aussies are in the same boat. haha. yeah that sucks about living in a remote location. I thought my town/city was fairly good for games, then JB came along and blew my mind... 
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By oldschool
@mrfizzy said:
" @oldschool: thanks for the input, good to see that other aussies are in the same boat. haha. yeah that sucks about living in a remote location. I thought my town/city was fairly good for games, then JB came along and blew my mind...  "
I went to JB in Hobart yesterday (3 hour drive) and got me Opoona and Murumasa for the Wii, plus Blue Dragon for the DS and was a happy shopper.
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrfizzy
@oldschool said:
" @mrfizzy said:
" @oldschool: thanks for the input, good to see that other aussies are in the same boat. haha. yeah that sucks about living in a remote location. I thought my town/city was fairly good for games, then JB came along and blew my mind...  "
I went to JB in Hobart yesterday (3 hour drive) and got me Opoona and Murumasa for the Wii, plus Blue Dragon for the DS and was a happy shopper. "
Yeah, i took a friend there the other day who had never bothered to go in, she got shitty with me coz now she knows shes going to be spending money there. hehehe
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrfizzy

Also, for those who dont know, there is a massive STEAM sale on at the moment. New deals every day for a week. I got KOTOR yesterday for US$2.50!!! Borderlands is only $33 today.