#1  Edited By matthew
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By matthew
  • I'm not asking what game is the best.  I'm asking what game would you play first, be it for the first time, or just to revisit some old (better?) times?

• Diablo  - Loot collection at it's finest. Until number 2 came along.
  • Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - While not quite as memorable as TIE Fighter, I think it's our last great space fighter.
  • Ultima Online - People are still playing this game...
  • Fallout - This is the daddy that started what many of the users here still play in a form - New Vegas
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II - It's not quite Dark Forces, but this one put together lightsaber goodness with force powers.
  • Age of Empires - Ensemble Studios had a breakout on their hands.
  • Riven - I'm still not smart enough to figure out these logic puzzles. 
  • The Curse of Monkey Island - LucasArts at the peak of their craft.
  • Quake II - And people think Black Ops is a fast paced shooter....hahahaha
  • Gran Turismo - This may actually be better than it's 5th iteration.
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - It'll be interesting how the remastered version turns out.
  • Final Fantasy VII - Let's just say it's a good game. And it brought RPGs recognition stateside.
  • Golden Eye 007 - Pierce can never replace Sean Connery as the ultimate Bond.
  • Star Fox 64 - Do a barrel roll? I'll never get over the fact when I discovered this game was meant to be played in one sitting, arcade style.
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Easily far superior than it's God of War clone that just came out. Awesome score.
  • Mario Kart 64 - You can find me poppin balloons, slippin and slidin on ice, using those bananas to awesome ends.
  • Mortal Kombat 4 - ummmmmm, it's no MK2, so I know Brad isn't voting for this one.
  • other - specify in comment 

When making the list for this year (check out the other polls I made for '98 and '99) I seriously thought I had too many games up there. How can there be this many quality releases in one year? Forget quality, how can there be this many crucial and founding games? Obviously the games are right there for you to check out, I don't have to tell you the significance behind each title. Just be happy we live in the times we do.

I have to admit, I'm a Final Fantasy 7 guy. Yes, the gameplay might not be all up to par, and some will call the story generic. But at least give props where props are due - this game has an absolutely amazing score.  The memories they bring back, backed up by the visuals? Give me chills each and every time.    
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By chstupid

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The only correct answer is X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Love me some Mario Kart 64.  I can go back to that game any day.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

If I had a PS1 at the time, it might have been Final Fantasy VII.  But my brother and I put a ridiculous number of hours into GoldenEye's multiplayer.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b

AoE with Gran Turismo a close second. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

This is a really hard choice. Games like Oddworld and Fallout are automatically eliminated, since they're not good enough for me to rush at their pants to carefully bite off the zipper. Same goes for Final Fantasy VII, if barely. The competition's between Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Star Fox, and Symphony of the Night. Two of them are excellent multiplayer experiences, while the other two deliver really solid single-player campaigns. However, I'm probably gonna go with Goldeneye, since it also has a strong single player mode. Also, fun fact: Star Fox 64 is the only one of those that I mentioned that didn't get a navgtr video.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By face15

Okay so I am young and have therefore only played two of these games. Now with that said; 

Winner: Age of Empires 
Runner-Up: Oddworld: Abe's Oddessey 

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ch3burashka

Wow, I'm surprised that Age of Empires is #1 at the moment. That can't be right, though, can it? It's probably all the AoE fans voting first. Surely Diablo will overtake it soon or something? I'm just surprised as hell, didn't think it was THAT popular.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By mosdl

I think Monkey Island 3 was one of the first games I got that had full voice overs, so it wins.  Age of Empires was quite good as well.

Space sims though, please come back.  If only to give joystick makers some life.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz

Jedi Knight or Diablo, with AoE a far third.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I love Fallout, so I'd probably pick that.

Followed by Diablo, then Quake 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

WILD ARMS was also released in 1997. It's one of the often unsung greats of JRPG history.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" WILD ARMS was also released in 1997. It's one of the often unsung greats of JRPG history. "
Then again, there are a lot of unsung greats in JRPG history. I can understand why they're unsung; even though they're pretty cool, that would lead to too much singing.
lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lead_farmer

Wanna go with X-Wing vs tie Fighter, but had to choose Star Fox 64. Played the shit out of both games.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee
@Video_Game_King: 
Never not singing, dawg. 

NEVER  
NOT 
SINGING
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By ssj4raditz

Do a barrel roll!

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tunaburn

i put like 80 hours into final fantasy 7. had a whole stable of gold chocobos. i raced em and bred them all the way up to a rank gold. had beaten ruby weapon. was getting close to beating emerald weapon and then my friend overwrote my save data with his crappy game. about 3 hours in. :'(

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Skald
@Matthew said: 
  • Gran Turismo - This may actually be better than it's 5th iteration.
Having played both, I'm pretty confident in saying that you're crazy.

Anyway, I voted for Fallout, one of the greatest CRPGs of all time, followed closely by Gran Turismo, because I like racing sims, despite not being particularly good at them.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

AoE I dug, but I though II was the real pinnacle.  

Goldeneye was my choice, I was rocking a nintendo 64 at that point. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Of all the games presented here, I would probably be the most willing to play Fallout in this day and age, with Star Fox 64 as a runner up. While I personally consider it and Fallout 2 to be somewhat overrated in the general pantheon of CRPGs, I would say that the quality of the experience isn't totally dictated by nostalgia the same way a lot of the other games on this list are. Goldeneye has quite frankly held up pretty horribly since I was a kid and there are better Mario Kart games than Mario Kart 64. Certainly, Fallout has its own issues, but I feel like it's a game that still has its own unique worth underneath occasionally archaic and outdated mechanics and storytelling devices. Also, you can shoot dudes in the balls.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who goes out of his way to find old games that he's never played before and blog about them (such as Fallout, which I only came to 2 years ago, right before Fallout 3 came out). That's a fairly slanted position.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had to go with Symphony of the Night, though it was a tough call. Mario Kart and Starfox 64 were the ones I played first on that list, since I was an N64 kid. Got my first Playstation with a copy of Final Fantasy VIII (which turns out, playing VIII means not liking VII and vice-versa.) Picked up SotN years later and was hooked. I picked it on the list because it's the one I would go back to in a second today. I'd definitely go back to some Starfox 64 or Mario Kart, though. Goldeneye was great in its time, but I don't think I could play it after playing any modern fps. :)

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@tunaburn said:
" i put like 80 hours into final fantasy 7. had a whole stable of gold chocobos. i raced em and bred them all the way up to a rank gold. had beaten ruby weapon. was getting close to beating emerald weapon and then my friend overwrote my save data with his crappy game. about 3 hours in. :'( "
Oh my god the absolute hatred.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By BeachThunder

Oddworld, with Fallout a close second.

Reason: Oddworld was a weird and wonderful game with great characters/creatures, nice visuals and a generally great atmosphere. Oh, and the gameplay was good too. One of the few fantasy games that has nothing at all to do with swords and sorcery etc...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @tunaburn said:
" i put like 80 hours into final fantasy 7. had a whole stable of gold chocobos. i raced em and bred them all the way up to a rank gold. had beaten ruby weapon. was getting close to beating emerald weapon and then my friend overwrote my save data with his crappy game. about 3 hours in. :'( "
Oh my god the absolute hatred. "
Ugh.  A friend once did that to my brother's save file in Dragon Warrior.  He had done everything except defeat the final boss.  Then his save data got overwritten in an act of utter thoughtlessness.
trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By trace

Close call between Quake 2 and Gran Turismo, but I think I would choose Gran Turismo. It's really hard in this day and age to illustrate the impact of a racing game with a bunch of real cars that looked fabulous for the generation, but Gran Turismo really changed the racing game genre from an era where ten cars and variations of two to three tracks would suffice.

Plus, I'd like to see how much more I understand proper racing technique now versus my early-teens self, who thought skidding into turns was somehow a competent way to drive. Thankfully that bad habit went away by Gran Turismo 2 or 3.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By august

Fallout and Quake 2 are the acceptable answers.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By matthew
@mosdl: @President_Barackbar: Dude, I put a ton of hours into that. I actually started with that one, then moved on to TIE Fighter and X-Wing. TIE Fighter might actually take the cake from me. But I loved constantly shifting the power percentages between the engines, shields and weapons. There really has to be another space sim.... 

@Video_Game_King said:
"Games like Oddworld and Fallout are automatically eliminated, since they're not good enough for me to rush at their pants to carefully bite off the zipper. Same goes for Final Fantasy VII, if barely. "
This is the new way to decide if I dig a game. If a game doesn't trigger these emotions, it's a deal breaker for me. Thank you sir.

@tunaburn: I've played the game twice. Once, initial playthrough, took just under 60 hours. Beat the game, didn't get Knights of the Round. 2nd playthrough, I maxed out the clock at 99:59, with 4 of the characters maxed out at lvl99. The thing is a beast.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@ssj4raditz said:
" Do a barrel roll! "
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WickedCestus

Definitely Star Fox 64. I love that game.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seedofpower

R. None of those or any. I have such a large back catalog right now, from past steam sales. I don't think I'll be that bored enough to return to the 90's.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By FesteringNeon

Need for Speed II

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stete

Diablo by far! The game was a blast to play but what totally blew my mind was the ability to have a stable online multiplayer experience on a 33.6 dialup modem!

Oh and Fallout comes second. And Quake 2 third.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By nintendoeats

Wow, not a great year really. I'll go with Castlevania because I think it has stood up really well and had a long term impact. StarFox 64 would be my second, only because I personally think its awesome (I have no other justification). I've never cared for most of the other games on that list.

'cept maybe X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CaptainObvious

I fucking love Mario Kart 64.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By wunder_

Diablo - is there really any dispute?

drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By drgrumbles

Ultima Online.  My friend and I got the game and had so many fun adventures PKing people and robbing fools.  
So many good memories!

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Castro

I went ahead and selected Mario Kart because it provided the most hours of entertainment for my housemates and myself. I enjoyed many other games on that list a great deal, but none of them put the whammy on me like that one did.

Also, I would like to mention that Blade Runner also came out that year and it was pretty sweet. Duders should definitely check it out if they can find it anywhere.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aronman789

Quake 2, followed by Fallout, awesome game and all but I barely got through it, I can't stand isometric games.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Voted for Fallout,if it wasnt an option, AoE

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#43  Edited By jacksukeru
Abe's Oddysee probably, I don't really feel like replaying Symphony of the Night right now and that's the only other one of the alternatives I care about.
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By mzuckerm
@tunaburn: That sucks.  I must've put close to 200 hours total into FFVII.  My last playthrough (on the PS2, actually) I'm pretty sure I did everything that was possible in the game (beat all the weapons, got every item, leveled up every materia, etc.).  Man, I loved that game.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or AoE.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's a really close call between Oddworld & Monkey Island. I'd probably lean towards Abe's Oddysee.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rockdalf
@Matthew: You cut me deep with the Castlevania comment.  The last game was pretty damn good (not as good as SOTN, but that's not saying much).  But the point I would like to make is that even if Castlevania: Lords of Shadows borrowed from God of War, how much has God of War borrowed from earlier Castlevania.  I mean, if you were to look at the 2d roots of the 3d Hack and Slash that God of War typifies, it would be Castlevania.
parakeith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By parakeith

Nothing quite held my attention like Monkey Island when I was a kid. My memories of Golden Eye and Mario Kart are littered with my brothers unplugging my controller mid-game.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#49  Edited By Soap

I chose Final Fantasy VII, I play that game AT LEAST once a year on my PSP now, but that is mostly because I am fucking insane!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Curse of Monkey Island is the only right answer!^^