Classic Game Collecting

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By Punk1984

So how many of you collect classic video games? How many of you want to start collecting classic video games?

Since you are on this website I bet you have more than a passing interest in video games. Am I right? Well eventually you are going to want to start amassing a collection of classic titles. It happens to all of us, it'll happen to you.  Collecting video games is easy, storing them is easy, maintaining them is easy and rehabilitating them is easy.
I'll be breaking down the who, what, where, why and mostly the how of classic game collecting.

A lot of people believe that the only games worth their time are the newest the biggest the awesome-est and the most game of the year award winning-est games on the market. Those people are severely short sighted. Classic games are viewed through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia. This makes each and every game better, or at least makes you think it is better. Each classic game in your collection will come attached with the story of "how and why" you got it. If your lucky some the games you love will be better than they were originally. (most will be worse) I encourage making your collection a deeply personal effort, don't just try to buy every NES title buy the ones you played. This will help maintain your hunger for classic games.
People will also tell you that you can just play it on an emulator with a PC Gamepad. That's right you can, you can also only drive sport cars in low gears and watch TV in black and white. The truth is that a computer will never stand in for a well maintained game system. Is it cheaper to emulate? Yes. Is it easier to emulate? Yes. Is it worth it? No. Is it the 'same'? Not in a million years.

If you want to build a good collection don't listen to the nay sayers just do it. I'll help.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Punk1984

So how many of you collect classic video games? How many of you want to start collecting classic video games?

Since you are on this website I bet you have more than a passing interest in video games. Am I right? Well eventually you are going to want to start amassing a collection of classic titles. It happens to all of us, it'll happen to you.  Collecting video games is easy, storing them is easy, maintaining them is easy and rehabilitating them is easy.
I'll be breaking down the who, what, where, why and mostly the how of classic game collecting.

A lot of people believe that the only games worth their time are the newest the biggest the awesome-est and the most game of the year award winning-est games on the market. Those people are severely short sighted. Classic games are viewed through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia. This makes each and every game better, or at least makes you think it is better. Each classic game in your collection will come attached with the story of "how and why" you got it. If your lucky some the games you love will be better than they were originally. (most will be worse) I encourage making your collection a deeply personal effort, don't just try to buy every NES title buy the ones you played. This will help maintain your hunger for classic games.
People will also tell you that you can just play it on an emulator with a PC Gamepad. That's right you can, you can also only drive sport cars in low gears and watch TV in black and white. The truth is that a computer will never stand in for a well maintained game system. Is it cheaper to emulate? Yes. Is it easier to emulate? Yes. Is it worth it? No. Is it the 'same'? Not in a million years.

If you want to build a good collection don't listen to the nay sayers just do it. I'll help.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sayishere

You know what sucks? i used to own a Sega genesis with ALOT of games, maybe like 50, and obviously back then i wasnt really interested in collecting games, so my mum gave the console and the games to a friend of hers (since i already moved to a playstation) 

i regret this a heap now, because firstly, i loved my genesis, and secondly, those were ALOT of games 

i collect games to a certain extent, like if i know a game will gain value in the future, or its a game i personally like and enjoyed. 

an example of this is the 25th anniversary of mario all stars on the wii, for one i dont particularly think the game is worth the price tag, but i assume its something that will increase in price 

i also have a obession with certain franchises, those being Final Fantasy and Resident evil, i have bought the same game on multiple platforms and will rebuy games that i maybe sold earlier 

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TechHits
@Punk1984:  Good stuff, Now you should make a blog post showing off your classic gaming collection. 
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By bretthancock

I collect anything from any era.  I just enjoy the thrill of the hunt and don't enjoy spending large amounts of money on amazon/ebay for a "classic".  I just take it as they come.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I don't go out of my way to buy old games just to collect them but I never sell any of the games I buy.  My cousin gave me his Atari 2600 and a buttload of games about 13 years ago which was pretty rad (my first games, I was 5).
Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Punk1984
@TechHits:  Sadly right now my entire collection is packed safely and securely inside an ottoman. Once I get some more shelving I'm gonna take a few beauty shots.

@Sayishere: The one thing I do have to say is if you are collecting games as an investment. You're wasting your money. Most of the highest demand 16-bit games have only recently moved north of their original price point and with reissues on PSN or Virtual Console there is a lot of flux in classic game prices. I remember when a Contra out of box used to go for $30-40 now you can find them in Vintage stores for $20. The games still hold value but they are not good investments.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've occasionally toyed with the idea of buying an old system and collecting games for it (including bad failed systems like the virtual boy and the 3DO), but then I realized that novelty only goes so far with how much I want to spend. I mean, I randomly own a copy of Tie Fighter in original box with all the floppies and most of the manuals (but, oddly enough not the one with the passwords), but does that mean I want to spend upwards of $50 for other, similar titles? Maybe when I have that kind of income.

Stray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stray

I've just got my classic collecting under control over the last few years. Probably have well over 1200 games right now. Makes me sad a little bit realizing I have no interest in playing 30-40% of those and just got them when I was obsessed with numbers instead of games that meant something to me nostalgia wise.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#9  Edited By bobafettjm

I am indeed a classic game collector. Actually that's not quite right either, I am really just an all around game collector because I love owning the new ones just as much as the old ones.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NickL

I look forward to your breakdown, I have intended to start collecting once i am not a super broke college student anymore =p

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Punk1984
@Stray: See that is why I believe that you should always aim for games you love or have a history with. I will get into this a bit in a later post but I loved the Capcom Disney games so when I first started out re-buying NES games I focused on those and slowly grew out from there. I still play a lot of "Little Mermaid" and "Ducktales"
@bobafettjm: I totally know what you're saying I don't resell any of my games, it takes up a lot of space but my philosphy has been "I don't know what I will want to play next week so I'll hold onto it all." The downside is browsing for a game to play.
@NickL: Just remember you can buy a working NES and a few games for the price of a new game on day one. When I replaced my old Sega Genesis with a Genesis 2 unit I walked out of the store with the console, Aladdin, Phantasy Star 4 and Sonic CD for $45.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

i kind of collect games and systems. i keep all of my old games. i have a entrainment cabinet full of ps2 and gamecube games. they just sit there and there were a lot of them.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#13  Edited By bobafettjm
@Punk1984:  I always find myself with the problem of deciding what game to play, often times I find myself looking for a game longer than playing it.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By buzz_clik

Much to the detriment of my savings, I have a large collection of classic gaming stuff. Cases in point.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

I've actually considered it just recently when I started watching classic game room reviews.  More specifically consoles.  I actually have a Neo-Geo somewhere in the house, (maybe the garage, most likely in the closet) that my dad actually bought when it came out.  I found out that thing was like $600, back in the day.  And we had Samurai Showdown and Fatal Fury 2.  I'm pretty sure the cases for those are in poor condition but man, they are some old treasures with some great personal history.  I hope I find them.

I just realized how cool my dad was to support 2 children back in the day and still buy a Neo Geo and two games (for US!)   
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickL
@Punk1984: Yeah i know it isnt that expensive compared to buying new games, but as it is now i only have money for about 3 new games a year and i don't really want to miss out on the new games =p (For example the last game i bought is assassins creed brotherhood)