Closure of Account

nikhil_nambiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For now, I'd like to close my Giant Bomb account. It's a basic, non-premium account but I can't find the page/ button that'll let me close it.

Please help!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Log out and don't log in again?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

I don't think there is a close option you just have to log out and never come back. If you PM a mod they can ban you but that's the closest thing I know of.

nikhil_nambiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463: Ok thanks for the info. There really ought to be a close account feature though.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrxLecter

I am going to second the opinion that there should be a close account feature, even if it requires you to PM a mod. There are times you want to make a break from a community or remove an online alias as much as possible from the web. It can be very aggravating not being able to have control over an account you created, even if it is 'hosted' by another person.

I attempted the same over at the penny-arcade forum and the admin was EXTREMELY fucking rude about it(you are an asshole Tube if you are reading this).

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@crusader8463: Ok thanks for the info. There really ought to be a close account feature though.

Out of interest, why should there be?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sanity

Nothing can rid you of the bomb, i'll let Diablo tell you about it.

Loading Video...

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Write down 15-20 characters worth of text and numerical gibberish on a piece of paper, change your password to that gibberish, delete password entry from your web browser/empty your cache, log out of GiantBomb, rip up the piece of paper. Account closed!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I can always disconnect an account and change the name to gibberish, but we really don't support full account deletion. There's so much stuff incorporated into an account (images embedded in forum posts, wiki edits, topics that have been replied to by other members, etc.) that deleting everything at once would probably cause issues. But if you ever want to get off the forums, feel free to delete as much as you like from your profile, then send an email to support@giantbomb.com.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nikhil_nambiar said:

Out of interest, why should there be?

He's cancelling Fez II and leaving the games industry.

Maybe he said some dumb stuff in the forums and wants that stricken from the record? (Although I don't think thats how the internet works..) Or he can't fight the urge to jump into stupid arguments on here so he wants to to cut off his ability to do so? Or maybe none of these as his post count is pretty low.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

I can always disconnect an account and change the name to gibberish, but we really don't support full account deletion. There's so much stuff incorporated into an account (images embedded in forum posts, wiki edits, topics that have been replied to by other members, etc.) that deleting everything at once would probably cause issues. But if you ever want to get off the forums, feel free to delete as much as you like from your profile, then send an email to support@giantbomb.com.

That is a resonable compromise. With the account name changed it would be hard to trace back to anyone.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock

Are you putting DrxLecter on a job application?

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: Did I ever say I was? How does that have anything to do with anything? People can still care about their internet personas without them having any impact on real-world situations.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: Did I ever say I was? How does that have anything to do with anything? People can still care about their internet personas without them having any impact on real-world situations.

Sorry, I'm filling out job applications and just pictured you doing that. Meant no disrespect.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@drxlecter said:

Sorry, I'm filling out job applications and just pictured you doing that. Meant no disrespect.

FWIW, I do use the pseudonym Hannibal Lecter (and a dummy email) for web pages and accounts that I don't want linked back to my real life name or email(which is pretty much everything except financial sites that need my real info, I find it much safer not sharing my real name with the random people on the web.)