CNET being sold? Where does that put GiantBomb?

Rumor has it that ViacomCBS is looking to sell CNET because "CEO Bob Bakish has told investors that the company is evaluating the sale of non-core assets — i.e., those that are not video-based"

I'm curious if this might come to affect GiantBomb. Last I remember Jeff mentioned that the business side of GiantBomb continues to grow and the Premium/Subscription model fully supports the site.

Thoughts?

Honestly, no use speculating on this.

Even if a sale goes through, this sort of stuff can be so dependent on an executive's whims that there's no reason to jump to conclusions. Especially since we can only guess on GB's actual financials.

If anything, Giantbomb would be safe I would think since it's a small operation where all the staff is at home and the premium base is likely still strong. If i was a CEO, i wouldn't just sell off something that from the outside looking in, sustains itself.

But that's my armchair speculation minute, I'm glad some of the premium shows are returning.

Is CNET popular?
I've never used it before, i know they do tech reviews because of Bakalar but i take a look at the front page and it's kind of a random mish mash of topics, it's the kind of site that makes you feel like your PC is being tagged for marketing purposes, it doesn't really feel human.

Giant Bomb probably doesn't have much to worry about for now - the article doesn't even list them as other prominent Viacom properties. I would be more worried for Bakalar. They always kind of joke about his hard to define role over at CNET so I'm not sure how much of it is just goofing around but if he doesn't have a strong role in CNET then a big ownership shakeup could be kind of iffy. I look back at what happened to Deadspin after it was acquired among other Gawker properties. Great Hill Partners, the new owners of Deadspin, Kotaku etc, completely stripped the site of it's identity and then drove it into the ground while at the same time driving all the talent out. It was a baffling as to why they even bought it in the first place if they didn't understand what made it work, or why they would so aggressively act against the sites interest.

As others have said, not really worth speculating. Corporations are weird and who knows what will happen. Although I’m not sure if Giant Bomb is under CNET? I thought it was CBSi, which included CNET, GameSpot, Giant Bomb, GameFAQs, etc. If they are separate, it may not affect them at all.

@spacebob said:

"CEO Bob Bakish has told investors that the company is evaluating the sale of non-core assets — i.e., those that are not video-based"

Given that Giant Bomb is basically entirely video-based, and have the additional advantage of a subscription model, I would imagine they are safe and sound.

Video based, to a CEO, means TV channels or pure streaming services (All Access, Pluto) or movie studios. Websites probably wouldn't count, unless the dude was hinting at those dang 12 CDs for the Price of One things, and WFAN Mike Zayn radio.

@cikame said:

Is CNET popular?

I've never used it before, i know they do tech reviews because of Bakalar but i take a look at the front page and it's kind of a random mish mash of topics, it's the kind of site that makes you feel like your PC is being tagged for marketing purposes, it doesn't really feel human.

It is one of the few places in the internet where you can get a review of a tech product and be sure it isn't written by a robot. One does not search their website for anything, for it is a nightmare. You search google for the CNET review of a product.

I hope this doesn't go through. I like CNET and I'm 100% sure it would lose anyone who mattered for the site after the sale. Because i doubt the CNET would stay in the CBSI building where GB East is and no one gunna move for some dumb tech marketing firm out of North Carolina.

C-Net is mainly a consumer focused consumer electronics site. CBS bought C-Net because they produced a lot of video content at them time and had a big audience. Their product reviews are valued by the industry. You might notice C-Net "best of" or "editor's choice" on several consumer electronics products. CBS just wants to focus on entertainment and C-Net is more like a Consumer Reports type of thing. I'm sure Giant Bomb and GameSpot fall more in the entertainment umbrella and are therefore safe.

@humanity:GBeast still has an opening, Bakkalar could slide in just fine

During these tough time I, like many, have been going through my subscriptions and GiantBomb is at the top of the list to keep. I want to make sure companies I enjoy are making it though this. This report just caught my eye.

I've assumed that GiantBomb is about the size of Linus Media Group but they are pretty open about their financials. I assume GiantBomb can't be, or don't want to be. But it's always nice to hear "the business is healthy".

@shevar: as cool as that might be for GB it might not be so great for Jeff.