Collecting vs. Gaming

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Edited By raddevon
I am somewhat obsessive. I acknowledge this--even embrace it. Often I embrace it to a troubling extent. The past few months of gaming have been a shining example.

I had been a gamer all my life until a few years ago. It was near the end of the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation when I decided to list every product I owned related to gaming on eBay. I rarely sold games prior to this so this particular selling included extensive collections for each of the three consoles along with the consoles themselves and nearly every accessory you could imagine. This sounds like it could be very traumatic or, at the least, may have been triggered by some traumatic event. It was not. It was simply a change in philosophy.

The reasoning for this is outside the scope of this post, but it was a time in my life that highlighted particularly well a flaw in my personality: an addiction to collecting. When I begin to gain interest in a particular pursuit or hobby, I can easily lose sight of the "prize" if you will. Instead, the collecting of the objects pertinent to the given hobby can become ends unto themselves usurping the original intent of the hobby. I write this because I feel myself falling into the same traps of my past.

In September, October, and November, I have purchased many games.

I have no business buying half as many games as I have. I work a full-time job. I have a family. I have a young daughter, and I don't even take any time away from her to play them. That means, out of all these games, I might be able to finish four of them by the end of the year (if I'm lucky). My mind has a way of carrying things much farther than that of the average person. In some cases, this is not a problem. In some cases, it's really an asset. When it comes to collecting, it is not. My reasoning is almost sub-conscious, but I have observed it. How would I choose between any two of these games? If I'm going to have one great game, why wouldn't I have all the others? That's the essence of what happens in my brain that leads to this kind of madness.

My only saving grace is that I have incredible brakes. In fact, I have already utilized said brakes to great effect. To be fair, only two of these purchases happened in November: Dragon Age: Origins and Torchlight totaling $60. I saw the problem re-forming and dealt with it, but, once this realization fades and my enthusiasm swells, I could easily be back in this place once again. I can't possibly reconcile buying more games than I could play with any sort of "logic," but, when my compulsive tendencies kick in, I'm nearly powerless to resist.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By raddevon
I am somewhat obsessive. I acknowledge this--even embrace it. Often I embrace it to a troubling extent. The past few months of gaming have been a shining example.

I had been a gamer all my life until a few years ago. It was near the end of the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation when I decided to list every product I owned related to gaming on eBay. I rarely sold games prior to this so this particular selling included extensive collections for each of the three consoles along with the consoles themselves and nearly every accessory you could imagine. This sounds like it could be very traumatic or, at the least, may have been triggered by some traumatic event. It was not. It was simply a change in philosophy.

The reasoning for this is outside the scope of this post, but it was a time in my life that highlighted particularly well a flaw in my personality: an addiction to collecting. When I begin to gain interest in a particular pursuit or hobby, I can easily lose sight of the "prize" if you will. Instead, the collecting of the objects pertinent to the given hobby can become ends unto themselves usurping the original intent of the hobby. I write this because I feel myself falling into the same traps of my past.

In September, October, and November, I have purchased many games.

I have no business buying half as many games as I have. I work a full-time job. I have a family. I have a young daughter, and I don't even take any time away from her to play them. That means, out of all these games, I might be able to finish four of them by the end of the year (if I'm lucky). My mind has a way of carrying things much farther than that of the average person. In some cases, this is not a problem. In some cases, it's really an asset. When it comes to collecting, it is not. My reasoning is almost sub-conscious, but I have observed it. How would I choose between any two of these games? If I'm going to have one great game, why wouldn't I have all the others? That's the essence of what happens in my brain that leads to this kind of madness.

My only saving grace is that I have incredible brakes. In fact, I have already utilized said brakes to great effect. To be fair, only two of these purchases happened in November: Dragon Age: Origins and Torchlight totaling $60. I saw the problem re-forming and dealt with it, but, once this realization fades and my enthusiasm swells, I could easily be back in this place once again. I can't possibly reconcile buying more games than I could play with any sort of "logic," but, when my compulsive tendencies kick in, I'm nearly powerless to resist.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

To be simply put, you need someone to control your spending habits.  Personally, I have been pretty much getting into my own craze of collecting.  Not sure why though.  I used to really play video games.  Now I am buying up games even though I don't need to.

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Robitt

I'm just the same way. Buy WAY more games then I have time to play.

I used to be really good at waiting. Now it's just instant gratification all the way. So before i reasoned "I do not have the time to play this game right now, I will buy it in three months, and by then the price probobly has dropped". I have no idea why I can't wait anymore. But it seems like you are on the right path now. 2-3 games a month is enough for most, if you don't play games for a living. :)

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Alex_V

Most people collect something. Collecting games isn't the worst habit in the world - at least you can play and enjoy them (eventually). Some people collect figurines that just sit on a shelf. Good luck with it - enjoy the games.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By thecleric

I just keep track of 'em, that way when I want to play them? BAMTHEREITIS, no one says you have to play the game as soon as you buy it.

itzjayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By itzjayjay

Since I'm still a student and living in Germany (expensive games) I don't have that much of an collection. I had like 25 Xbox 1 Games back then but now I'm more into partying and fashion so there's not that much money left for games. I often sell them after I played and completed them once oder twice to get new ones. In addition to that, many of my games are used or at least not full price and to be honest, I have no problem with that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I'd quit useing your addictive and obsessive personality as excuses and cut it the fuck out, personally.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r

Just put some rules into your buying:

1. Only buy on sale. Keep a list of the games you want but don't buy them until they're $10 to $20 off.
2. An exception can be made if you're really going to play it right away and you can't live without it right now.
3. Play more freeware titles. There are some really awesome ones like Cave Story, Iji, 78641, Trilby, etc. No cash spent. Great games enjoyed.

As for having more games than you can get through in a few months, I look at it this way: Variety. It gives you the choice of playing whatever fits your fancy at any given moment. Sometimes I want an FPS, well, I have 20 to choose from and I can impulsively hop into one cause it's already bought and in my hands!

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Adamantium

Man, that's a tough one. I too have to balance work and family life with my wife and a small child, plus visits with the relatives every couple weeks. I'd say you have to let the reasoning of "if I have one great game, why not have them all" go, and start buying games that you're going to play, period. 

Obviously there will be a time when two or even three must-haves come out, but I think you should probably discipline yourself not to buy more until you finish the ones you have. You might find that some of the games you wanted to buy have lost their shine and don't even seem as great anymore. Good luck!

Avatar image for baconandwaffles
baconandwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By baconandwaffles

We should form a club.  I have the exact same problem, except i do the same thing with books too.  I could not purchase another book or game for years and not have to re-read or re-play a game.  *Sigh*  There are worse vices to have. . .

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raddevon
@Hamst3r said:
" Just put some rules into your buying: 1. Only buy on sale. Keep a list of the games you want but don't buy them until they're $10 to $20 off.2. An exception can be made if you're really going to play it right away and you can't live without it right now.3. Play more freeware titles. There are some really awesome ones like Cave Story, Iji, 78641, Trilby, etc. No cash spent. Great games enjoyed.As for having more games than you can get through in a few months, I look at it this way: Variety. It gives you the choice of playing whatever fits your fancy at any given moment. Sometimes I want an FPS, well, I have 20 to choose from and I can impulsively hop into one cause it's already bought and in my hands! "
This is a really great response. I do all of these things to some degree. You and I must be very much alike. I do keep a list. I got every one of those games at least $10 off retail (along with free shipping and no tax). I have made a couple of exceptions. I actually enjoy buying on sale because that's almost a game itself. I like to search and wait for the absolute best deal I can find. I also love to partake of freeware games and find them in many ways superior to the massive blockbuster releases. Thanks for the input!
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By raddevon
@Alex_V said:
" Most people collect something. Collecting games isn't the worst habit in the world - at least you can play and enjoy them (eventually). Some people collect figurines that just sit on a shelf. Good luck with it - enjoy the games. "
This is true. I refuse to buy things that take up space and don't provide me with anything outside the act of collecting.

@thecleric said:
" I just keep track of 'em, that way when I want to play them? BAMTHEREITIS, no one says you have to play the game as soon as you buy it. "

Also true, and I do this. I started the first Mass Effect, played it intensely for a while, put it down for more than a year, and came back to finish it up. I'm currently playing through Persona 4 (albeit very slowly) and have Persona 3 waiting. I have no problem with letting a game sit for while. As you can probably tell, I can't really afford to take issue with that. ;-p

Thanks for all the "me toos" and encouragement. You guys rock!
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By vidiot

You never know when the apocalypse is going to happen. Make sure all you extra games are in underground vaults, then when the inevitable plague hits, you will be ready to ride out the storm.

Real answer: Collecting is awesome. You can be concerned with legitimate budget concerns, but as long as your hobby isn't hurting anyone it should all be fine. No? For example: I know someone who's hobby for the longest time was to inject cocaine via dirty needles into their bodies. The long-term end result of this was...uhm...not good.

What I'm trying to say is that there's nothing wrong with game collecting, and you should be happy that your concerned with such a small issue. :P
I guess a better contrast would be my recent venture into game soundtrack collecting. That's a little bit more ridiculous because import fee's will melt your face off.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By raddevon
@vidiot said:

" You never know when the apocalypse is going to happen. Make sure all you extra games are in underground vaults, then when the inevitable plague hits, you will be ready to ride out the storm.

Have you seen the Twilight Zone episode where the guy loves to read but never gets to? He ends up in the bank vault when a bomb drops killing everyone else. He finds the library and starts to read realizing he can now read anything he wants all the time. At the end, his glasses fall off and break. I'm sure that, if I did end up with time to play all the games, my hands would explode or something.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar

There actually is something to collecting, it just a matter of making the right choice which one to collect. Afterall, some games will get timeless (I'm mainly thinking fighting games) as I am still glad I have a copy of CVS2 and 3rd strike around.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raddevon
@StaticFalconar: 
Setting aside timelessness, if you were to collect the right games, your collection could actually appreciate. When I sold all my games, I had a Shin Megami Tensei that sold for $90 only two months after I bought it.

@Branthog: 
What's crazy is that I absolutely hate games in which you must collect just for the sake of collecting. I revile the early 3D platformers for this reason above all others.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Branthog

What really sucks@StaticFalconar said:

" There actually is something to collecting, it just a matter of making the right choice which one to collect. Afterall, some games will get timeless (I'm mainly thinking fighting games) as I am still glad I have a copy of CVS2 and 3rd strike around. "
I don't think it has to be a choice. I mean, I bought The Shield: The Game for the PS2 just a couple months ago. I'll probably never play it and it's a fairly terrible game, but I certainly want it in my collection. It's more an issue of how much you want to spend. And whether you absolutely must have it in perfect condition. I play my games and I let others play my games, so I know they're not going to stay in mint condition forever. That's life. But I like the idea of having the content around for ages to come (which will be kind of a problem when digital distribution takes over everything, since there wont' be anything to collect or share or trade or sell or buy anymore). 

I buy games I really want to play soon, now-ish. I buy games that I just want to have on a shelf because they're cool -- or I hope to get around to them some day -- or because they're wacky -- when I can find them for cheap. For example, The Shield was only $5... and Britney's Dance Beat (yes, I said it) was only $2.50. 

What sucks, though, is that I don't play games all that often. I'm making more of a habit now that I'm older and realize that I can't do this "work nonstop until my heart explodes" sort of japanese office worker death thing forever. I've come to realize the value of sitting down and playing for a couple hours here and there. Before, I would buy all sort sof games and everything, but go many months without even turning a console on or firing up a game on the PC. It was almost pointless (and I've missed out on a lot of great experiences that were mostly multi-player that are sort of dead communities a year or three later). So here I am, catching up on all that I missed... or at least trying to.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Willy105

I buy games, but not new. Why buy 10 $50 games when you can buy 50 $10 games?

xShR3Dx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xShR3Dx

I have been getting much better about buy games because some times I hate haveing too much stuff. So lately I have been only buying games I am truely going to play and am intrested in.
ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ki11tank

it really depends on how much money you have.  i know the hunt or the search for new games offers almost as much fun as playing them.  if you have lots of free cash then who the fuck cares if your hobby is collecting if you like it and it sounds like you do.

personally i don't have that problem and am wise with my money, i like to be able to sit on a pile of it after i work for it.. not piss it away.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raddevon
@slacker4life: I have two money piles: one for sitting, the other for pissing. ;-)
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Cerza

I don't know if I could call myself a collector any more since I purchased a house earlier this year and sold the vast majority of my video game collection to help pay for my new home, but when it comes to collecting it's the hunt that I enjoy most. I dunno why, but I like the thrill of seeking out and finding the game I want. After I have it the thrill is over and I begin searching for another game. It's not good I know, but what I have begun doing is selling the games I hunt down for a higher price than I paid for them. This creates a pot of gaming money for me, which I keep separate from the rest of my money, and use to purchase other games I want. It's been working quite well, and best of all is that since I make money off it no one can really fault me for doing it since it's an economic endeavor.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Tordah
@Willy105 said:

" I buy games, but not new. Why buy 10 $50 games when you can buy 50 $10 games? "

That's exactly what I do too. I'm always on the lookout for cheap "older" games (like 2-5 years old). The game industry moves forward so incredibly fast I just can't keep up with all the new games coming out. I'm pretty open-minded about games too so I'm interested in way more titles than just the so called AAA titles, but that doesn't mean I actively collect crap games. I'd be exactly in your position myself if I had the urge to always have the newest and latest games. Instead, I hang back and wait for the games to become "ancient" (in the gaming industry sense of the word) before I hunt them down online. 

The only suggestion I can give you is to try and change your mindset. If you know you probably won't have time to play that particular game until much later (if ever, haha); why go out of your way to buy it while it's still new and expensive? The game won't go anywhere just because it's not in your possession. You can always buy it later. No matter how long you wait. Trust me, your wallet will be much happier and you'll be able to make additions to your collection much more often if you wait. Double win!
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By moelarrycurly

I tend to buy a lot of used games that are still in good condition.  However, I do like the look of a brand-new, AAA game sitting on the shelf.  I always buy Nintendo games right when the come out, because I know the price is not going to drop for a long time.  Hell, Twilight Princess is still selling for at least $30 used, which is crazy considering that game is 3 years old.   Fortunately, they do eventually go down in price.  Just the other day I finally got a copy of F-Zero GX for $2.00, which was a total steal.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By guiseppe

I wish I could buy more games than I have time to play. But I'm unemployed and pretty soon I'm broke too, So I have to be very selective.