Collector's Editions

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

How many of you guys love/hate them?  I personally find it to be a shitty deal in the end, because people that buy them are basically saying they are perfectly fine with paying $80 for a game!  I remember how people complained about this generation of games being priced at $60...and then they'll pay $80 for a couple of postcards, a bonus DVD with behind-the-scenes stuff that's almost the same thing you can find on the internet sites you visit, and what, an action figure MAYBE?  Hell, most of them don't even have that much shit.

I'm just saying - release shit as a gift set.  Collector's Editions of every single game that is coming out is fucking ridiculous.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By grilledcheez

I think they're a rip...I can watch movies about the making of the game online, I'm not paying $20 more for that.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Disgaeamad

The one thing I really, really hate about collector's/limited editions is that Europe tends to miss out on them. A lot.

Although there is a positive side, as it makes them seem like actual "limited" editions when we finally see one of them officially released.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

A lot of them are shitty deals, I do buy ones that aren't. It needs something special.

Like a Hobbe figurine, and Master Chief armor.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By DeadlyPain

i tend to ignore all limited editions, the content doesn't justify the extra amount of cash
the only worth while ones are things like statues prehaps like you got with bioshock

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_

I also like ones with soundtracks and extra memorabilia.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By trulyalive

No for games, yes for films.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Disgaeamad
Jayge said:
"I also like ones with soundtracks and extra memorabilia."
Yeah, stuff like OSTs and official artbooks are pretty neat to get alongside the actual games.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
Disgaeamad said:
"Jayge said:
"I also like ones with soundtracks and extra memorabilia."
Yeah, stuff like OSTs and official artbooks are pretty neat to get alongside the actual games."
My original Guild Wars artbook fills me with nostalgia to this day.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I enjoy LEs.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Emilio

Compared to movies its a huge rip off. Unless it comes with actual physical goodies ( lots of them ) and not just another disc, it really is a huge rip off.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187

Artbooks and statues and crap don't really do it for me.  It just feels like game makers need to catch up with the movie makers in terms of LE stuff.

Now pre-order bonuses, personally, are a bit different.  I'm not having to pay anything extra for it, and I get something added to it.  When I pre-ordered Phantom Brave a long time ago, I got the OST to it.  That was worth it for me.  If a game were, like, $5 extra and came with a behind-the-scenes thing, maybe...but when you look at games like God of War and God of War II can either put all of that ONTO THE DISC or include the other disc without an increased price...it makes you see the rip-off of it all so much more blatantly.  Hell, even the GOTY of CoD4 on 360 didn't cost me anything extra, and it got me the DLC Map Pack!!!

So, really, what is worth making the game $70 or $80?  A statue?  Really?  Master Chief's head isn't worth that much (then again, I hate Halo, so that's not a good example...eh?).  Assassin's Creed LE wasn't worth it.  DMC4 LE wasn't worth it.  Bioshock LE wasn't worth it to me.  It's just more crap that serves no purpose other than vanity...

...wait...I just said that, and yet I play MMO games that are almost ALL ABOUT vanity.  lol

It just seems a bit...skewed...
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
jakob187 said:
"Artbooks and statues and crap don't really do it for me.  It just feels like game makers need to catch up with the movie makers in terms of LE stuff.
Now pre-order bonuses, personally, are a bit different.  I'm not having to pay anything extra for it, and I get something added to it.  When I pre-ordered Phantom Brave a long time ago, I got the OST to it.  That was worth it for me.  If a game were, like, $5 extra and came with a behind-the-scenes thing, maybe...but when you look at games like God of War and God of War II can either put all of that ONTO THE DISC or include the other disc without an increased price...it makes you see the rip-off of it all so much more blatantly.  Hell, even the GOTY of CoD4 on 360 didn't cost me anything extra, and it got me the DLC Map Pack!!!

So, really, what is worth making the game $70 or $80?  A statue?  Really?  Master Chief's head isn't worth that much (then again, I hate Halo, so that's not a good example...eh?).  Assassin's Creed LE wasn't worth it.  DMC4 LE wasn't worth it.  Bioshock LE wasn't worth it to me.  It's just more crap that serves no purpose other than vanity...

...wait...I just said that, and yet I play MMO games that are almost ALL ABOUT vanity.  lol

It just seems a bit...skewed...
"
I guess it does. For me, it's having the box, the collector's items, the nicer package (if I think it's worth it). I also like supporting companies, and a good way to do that for the ones I like a lot is to get an LE or something.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187

I'm kind of the same way with DVDs.  I used to be bad about "oh, two-disc collector's edition, have to get it...it's $30, oh whatever".  Nowadays, a DVD has to have some impressive fucking features and might just have to blow me in order for me to cough up more than $15 on it.  Classics and personal favorites, however, will get the special treatment still.  I'll usually dig through all the used places I can before I resort to new, though.

The same applies for video games with me.  I didn't own any LE games until two weeks ago when I finally bought FFXII (still haven't played the fucker, I know...shame on me).  It was $14 at Game Crazy, and I just couldn't pass it up...especially with that metal case to it (although on the flipside of that, I hate that they used that same kind of case for The Boondock Saints...which isn't that great of a movie in the first place).  I am all about supporting the industry, and particularly developers who deserve my money.  However, with all the VALUES that are out there...it seems like people are failing to notice that this shit could become STANDARD if they stopped buying the LEs.  For instance:

God of War (as previously mentioned, content on disc...and lots of it I might add)
God of War II (as also previously mentioned, came WITH the second disc of bonus content)
The Orange Box (which is three amazing fucking games in one box...and one of those games has two expansions in the box as well that are just as good)
Call of Duty 4 GOTY (as previously mentioned, came with the card to get DLC Map Pack)
Gears of War (newest edition features all the free DLC for it)

All this regular priced and discount priced stuff from what many can consider to be five of the best games in the last 5-10 years, and yet people are willing to drop $80 on something because it has some cards and a statue or whatever?  I don't know.  Makes no sense to me.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

That's why we get things like Banjo Kazooie preordered, or Ubisoft's awesome pre-order-upgrade system that they've been rolling out.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I don't mind collector's edition's (I just bought Spore:Galactic Edition) but I don't like to buy collectors edition's because I don't want the companies to think that I'm willing to buy the collector's edition of every game . It seems like every game has a limited/collectors edition and it's getting ridiculous. Eventually every game may be a collector's edition for an expensive price.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187

At this rate, they'll put out a collector's edition of Dairy Queen Tycoon packaged with a copy of Big Rigs, and the world will implode on itself!

o_o
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By kush

I think it all depends on what you get in the CE/LE ...I don't love or hate them. I love some and hate some, but I can't give a definitive definition to CE/LE's as a whole.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By zyn

I agree that having a Collectors Ed. for EVERY GAME is retarded and just a scam to get more money but if it's from a game that is critically acclaimed and highly anticipated, it's a good reason.

However, specifically focusing on the contents of said Collectors Ed., if it's postcards, TCG or some other random stuff.  No thanks.  "Making Of" DVD's, in-game extras and the usual Artbooks are what most "Collectors" are looking for.

Neorub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Neorub

I dont buy many unless thier used/ cheap.i only watch those DVD's once, but man for some reason i always have a second take when looking at some of those pretty metal cases (i'm looking at you FF 12)

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Oni

Depends. If it's stuff like "Hey this game comes in a steel case and has a DVD with features you'll watch once and never again!", then no. If it's like MGS4, with a figure, soundtrack and extra blu-ray documentary, yes. I also got the Mass Effect LE, which had an art book, bonus DVD and some free themes and gamer pics for 10 bucks more, plus a nice box, not too bad a deal.

Also I have the City of Villains LE, got it for 20 bucks, which had a whole bunch of little figurines, art book and other stuff with it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If they come with allot of decent stuff I get them, or are cheap I'll buy them. Currently the only one's I've got are DMC 4 (because it was only £2 more than the standard edition) and halo 3 (because it came with the bundle that I got my 360 with) and I have fable 2 collectors edition preordered (because its only £5 more than the standard edition and comes with tones of cool stuff). 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By brukaoru

I love collector's editions if they are worth it. It really depends on what comes with it. With DMC4, it came with the first four episodes of the anime, which sells for about $20, so it was worth it to me. (Except the game proved to be disappointing, but I digress). MGS4's collector's edition came with an artbook, making of DVD, and soundtrack. Unfortunately it's not the whole soundtrack, so that was quite a bummer. But I really do like the artwork on the box. Bioshock's limited edition came with a Big Daddy figurine, and I really want it, haven't heard anything about a limited edition for the PS3 version. I'm hoping I can find a Big Daddy figurine without paying an absurd amount, but my chances are slim. I have pre-ordered the Gears 2 limited edition, which is only $10 extra, and I will pay that much for an artbook because I really like having artbooks.

Oni said:

"If it's like MGS4, with a figure..."
A figure?! Oh, right... I remember Europe was getting a figure but not the United States... LUCKY!
E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By E_rock

I have never bought a LE in my life.  The extras just don't justify the extra cost for me.  Artbooks, OSTs, figurines, master chief helmets, etc - all of it will only be looked at once and then thrown off to the side never to be seen again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm a sucker for the shiny tin lol...

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers