Comic Vine is merging with GameSpot. We're not!

• 63 results
MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@andrew2696: Dan is a ticking time bomb of uncertainty every week of his life...

jonez120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By jonez120

@flstyle said:

Good for CV, thought it might get shut down but this is probably the best way to prevent that.

@quarters said:

I...honestly didn't know Comic Vine still existed.

As someone with around 8,000 posts on Comic Vine... That hurt.

@geraltitude said:

Sounds like good news for CV but I bet some of the community aren't too happy.. Best of luck to them. I still visit every now and then because Tony is actually pretty great.

Hey, thanks. Means a bunch.

Honestly the forums have been preserved completely and they are still their own little entity, so it's not all bad.

@hassun said:

@rorie: I mean, does it remove or replace one of those accounts? Does it actually merge them? Does one account name replace the other? Etc.

We got to choose which account name we took. The accounts were actually merged.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jonez120: Does that mean that if I choose the Comicvine name my Gamespot name will disappear?

jonez120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@jonez120: CV has a strong wiki and forum presence on the net but its efforts in articles and videos as far as I can tell have fallen flat. A brand as old as CV should not be getting less than 2000 views on any given YouTube video for example. For as knowledgeable about comics as Tony is I've always thought he hasn't been able to transition into a good on-screen personality nor write articles that brings people in to read them.

This all of course might just be bias on my part because Giant Bomb has been spoiled with personality filled staff members who get new media, and the site has grown and grown because of it. But then I think about how well other popular comic culture brands like Nerdist and IGN is doing I can't help but think that people such as Tony and formerly Sara Lima aren't/weren't right choices for CV's editorial staff.

I don't doubt that with the right people on board CV could've been as successful and be able to stand on its own two feet just like GB does today. This merger with GS will be good for CV in the long run and I hope it does well, but it probably could have been prevented too.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So Gamespot is trying to become IGN now? Cool, no reason to go there anymore either then. Just shaving that Favorites tab right down at this rate!

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

I...honestly didn't know Comic Vine still existed.

This. But I had no reason to check, really.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Zleunamme

I haven't been visiting Comic Vine since Sara left. I am not super into comic books. That being said, I think that Comic Vine is an interesting resource. A place to learn more about comic book related things that show up in other mediums. I miss the Whiskey Media days when Giant Bomb would bring along other websites to have fun. I do appreciate Danny and Mary stopping by.

Based on internet trends and how things having been going lately. I still have this fear that one day CBS will just decide for whatever reason to pull the plug on Giant Bomb. I really hope that day never comes.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is Box Office Bomb dammit?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I can't speak for anyone else, but as a casual observer of comics, ComicVine lost 100% of my traffic when Giant Bomb stopped advertising its articles.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62  Edited By Zevvion

Kind of funny that Gamespot is expanding its scope considering the name. Though GB doesn't cover bombs as far as I know but will keep pushing for that coverage.

This does seem like a good move considering Comicvine seems kind of smallish. But the forums are really to be avoided and the site seems kind of faceless.

Giant Bomb should cover bombs. Bomb Looks, Unprofessional Bomb Day and Bomb of the Year sound like very entertaining features.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda disappointed Gamespot isn't embracing Anime like IGN is. Its having a resurgence again with the proliferation of streaming services that don't suck.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a serious games enthusiast it's a shame to see Gamespot moving further into the 'all round' type site, looking to drive as many clicks as possible with all sorts of content but it's obviously a business reality. As the market changes for video game coverage it must be difficult to maintain a presence as a pure video game news/reviews site.

I'd like to see another resurgence in the Gamespot crew showing up in Giant Bomb content as they have a lot to offer. Who knows maybe Giant Bomb can continue to expand in the enthusiast sphere while Gamespot focuses on the more mainstream and everyone benefits.