Community Quick Look: Ocarina of Time

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Hello giantbomb. For a while now I've always wanted to do something fun involving video as a way to practice my video production skills. The idea came to me when my friends and I were talking about the giantbomb quick looks, which we all enjoy greatly. We would always talk about how we wanted them to do a particular game, or do more quick look throwbacks. Its understandable why they don't do a lot of them, after all they're very busy, and thats when it hit me. Why don't we make our own quick looks?

Ok so heres our plan;
  • Have at least 1 quick look a week. We'll do more if we have the time.
  • Only do games that don't already have quick looks. Theres no point in repeating something that already exists.
  • Have fun. This isn't planning on being a serious thing. In th spirit of the quick looks, its all in good fun.
I will post each new video in a blog here on giantbomb. Even though these videos can be viewed by anybody, they are aimed more at the giantbomb community. The last thing I want from you guys is lots of feedback. Comment on this blog, the youtube video, or even PM me if you really want. This is our first time doing this and we want to keep making it better. Just don't, you know... be a dick or anything.

And with out further delay I give you...

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mutha3

This is a bad idea.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@mutha3: Thanks for the very positive and in depth feedback!
Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Sayishere

hmm:o

but seriously, i do like ocarina of time so i will watch this
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kjellm87

Watching it now, like it so far.
Can't have enough Quick Looks on this site.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@Sayishere: Thank you, I appreciate that.
Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Heltom92
@wasteguru: Don't listen to that first reply, this is a great idea :)
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mutha3
@wasteguru said:
Ha! fair enough.

But seriously, I don't think the community likes quick looks because of the concept- there's a youtube guy doing something similar every 5 videos- but because of the personalities involved. Just having community members record themselves playing over a game seems like a bad idea to me.

And don't make a blog weekly, unless its not attachted to the forums. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules because of the way it clutters up the forums.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@mutha3: I totally get where your coming from. This is largely just a fun thing my friends and I really wanted to do, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.
I've never heard of a weekly blog being against the rules before. As long as it goes in the forum for the game I don't see the problem.
___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ___pocalypse
@mutha3 said:
@wasteguru said:
Ha! fair enough.But seriously, I don't think the community likes quick looks because of the concept- there's a youtube guy doing something similar every 5 videos- but because of the personalities involved.
I think that a lot of the GB community folks are going to have similar personalities; we all talk to each other on the forums and enjoy it, and watch quick looks done by people like say, Hamst3r, so I don't see any reason why a weekly member quick look would somehow become uninteresting. I think what makes the official GB quick looks fun is the fact that people feel familiar with the people running commentary, but that familiarity comes from watching videos and reading their articles. A weekly update with the same people will create that same familiarity. 

To the OP: I think it's a great idea.  I am always pro quick looks, "official" or not :)
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kjellm87

Watched the whole thing, I wouldn't mind more of this.
There was some echo though.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@Kjellm87: yeah the audio is basically just one Mic in front of all of us. Once I get enough money I plan on getting better equipment.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@mutha3 said:
This is a bad idea.
Not really. I've had this idea for a long time, so I'll just say that they're ripping me off. However, being useful for once, I'll say that you should probably cover games that people haven't played to hell and back.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By X19

Should of ended staring at the funny dude below playing his wacky instrument. Apart from that terrible mistake XD keep it up guys.

It would be cool if you could get some other members of the community involved too.

Actually if we had different groups of users making quick looks I could make a guide so we have our own archive of community QL videos on the site.

@Video_Game_King: You bought a mic yet? Get your own quick look team up and running youth.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@X19:

I probably should buy one, but that's not my only problem. Also don't have a capture card, and I can't work out sound issues with screen capture devices. How do they all have the same problem that I don't know how to fix?
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X19
@Video_Game_King: I swear someone on another thread said he would do it with you, all you needed was a mic.

Hamst3r is the man to ask about those things if you are trying to do it all by yourself.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@X19:

It was CL60. I remember.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By laserbolts
Nice job dude I enjoyed it. Makes me want to play ocarina again. Keep it up.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By X19
@Video_Game_King: Was he going to play the game and stream it live to you so you could comment on what goes on?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@X19:

I remember discussing that and being confused as to how it would all work.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

I watched it. It was pretty good. The conversation was interesting, plus Ocarina of Time is a great game. The only thing I would recommend would be knowing more about the personalities involved. It would be cool if in your blog you would mention the people who are in the Quick Look. If they are members of Giant Bomb, post their names and maybe even link there profiles. They might get a few followers that way.

Part of the appeal of Giant Bomb Quick Looks are the personalities involved. Other than that, I enjoyed it. This Quick Look took me back and left me with all those glorious memories of Ocarina of Time dancing in my head.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By X19
@Video_Game_King: Idk how it works but it would be cool to get different members of the community in for QLs. I think he would stream it on Justin.tv to you and record what you say on skype but like I said I'm just guessing.

@wasteguru: If you do a lot of these it would be nice to have an archive of all of them like the GB video section. In 6 months time it would make it a lot easier to navigate around instead of just going through pages of your blog. 
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By TehFlan

This makes me want OoT3D even more. I enjoyed the video.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@X19 said:
@wasteguru: If you do a lot of these it would be nice to have an archive of all of them like the GB video section. In 6 months time it would make it a lot easier to navigate around instead of just going through pages of your blog. 
That would actually be really cool. If It gets to the point were these become really popular, I could try and figure something out.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan

If other people like it, cool, but the personalities in these things rarely keep my interest.  This is where the crew makes quicklooks fun to watch.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@Claude said:
I watched it. It was pretty good. The conversation was interesting, plus Ocarina of Time is a great game. The only thing I would recommend would be knowing more about the personalities involved. It would be cool if in your blog you would mention the people who are in the Quick Look. If they are members of Giant Bomb, post their names and maybe even link there profiles. They might get a few followers that way.Part of the appeal of Giant Bomb Quick Looks are the personalities involved.
Thats a good idea. I'll do that when I post the next one.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King
@wasteguru said:
@Claude said:
I watched it. It was pretty good. The conversation was interesting, plus Ocarina of Time is a great game. The only thing I would recommend would be knowing more about the personalities involved. It would be cool if in your blog you would mention the people who are in the Quick Look. If they are members of Giant Bomb, post their names and maybe even link there profiles. They might get a few followers that way.Part of the appeal of Giant Bomb Quick Looks are the personalities involved.
On that note, it may help if you refer to each other only by username. It may feel odd, but it would really help the audience.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude
@Video_Game_King said:

@wasteguru said:

@Claude said:
On that note, it may help if you refer to each other only by username. It may feel odd, but it would really help the audience.
Or just in the blog, post their user name and real name. I've listened to some community podcasts that do that.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X19
@wasteguru said:
@X19 said:
That would actually be really cool. If It gets to the point were these become really popular, I could try and figure something out.
You could keep it simple and have a blog you update with links to your other blogs. Have a look at the links in my "see mini bio", unfortunately the last GB update screwed two of my lists up :(

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Getz

it's ee-pohna, not eh-pohna

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By FateOfNever

Well I'm 5 minutes into it so far, and gotta say, I'm not really loving it yet.  I think there may be too much random chatter and laughing going on for my taste.  But I'll finish watching it later when I have more time.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Deranged

Cool idea.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@FateOfNever said:
Well I'm 5 minutes into it so far, and gotta say, I'm not really loving it yet.  I think there may be too much random chatter and laughing going on for my taste.  But I'll finish watching it later when I have more time.
Thats one of the main things were going to work on. Four people is to much, so we'll probably rotate from video to video.
Nathed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nathed

Watched about five minutes so far, and I'm enjoying it. I would have to agree with FateOfNever though - a little too much non-game related chit chat so far. I'd keep it down to three people maximum, ideally two. However, please keep at it - you only need to look at the old GameSpot videos of the GB guys to see that you do get much better at it with time (and you're already pretty good!)

I will definitely stay tuned.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

You're lucky! I would love to do a quick look for something. One of the main reasons why I want to get a HD PVR recording device.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By FateOfNever

It wasn't too bad overall.  It reminded me more of Game Informer's Replay than it did a Giant Bomb Quick Look.  If you've never seen the GI Replay before, you may give it a look and see if you can pick up any tips from watching their videos too (they usually run with 4 people for all of their videos).  One of the things that will help the most though is to just keep practicing; especially if you guys (as a collective) aren't used to being 'on camera'. 

One thing I would try to become more aware of is using phrases like 'weak sauce' or terms like it that easily sound dated (like epic fail, or for the win).  Some of that is a personal preference, but, it also helps keep your videos from feeling outdated if you intend for people to go back and re-watch them (i.e. weak sauce sounds somewhat dated as it is now, imagine how it will come across even just five years from now).  You guys weren't too bad with them, I just especially remember the weak sauce one because I cringed the moment I heard it.  If you are a bunch that does use terms like that on regular basis, you don't necessarily need to cut them out entirely, but trying to be aware of them and limiting their use can help.  This can also apply to using inside jokes and what not.  But overall the video wasn't too bad on that kind of stuff, especially for what is presumably one of your first times doing a video like this as a group, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

The other thing that stood out to me during the video was the amount of laughing.  That isn't to say 'never laugh when someone cracks a joke' but too much laughter can clutter up the audio, and makes it especially bad if people are laughing at the same time someone tries saying something.  Having fewer people may help some with that, and eventually once each person has their own microphone that will help people come through better even when people do laugh.  So it may just be standing out due to you being currently limited to one microphone in the middle for everyone to share, but it's something to possibly keep in mind to watch out for for when you do get individual mics and can better gauge how stuff like that comes through.

Keep it up though, it seems like a good idea and as long as you guys have fun doing it then that's what matters most.  I will say having a save further along was a good thing to have.  During the first part I kept thinking "I hope they have a save set up to show some of the later stuff in the game as well, because OoT starts off real slow."  I'll also add that after you guys mentioned Windwaker I instantly began to wish you guys had done that instead of OoT due to Windwaker being the less fondly received game.  Good job and keep it up!

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Truant19

I thought it was funny. I would love to try one of these with some of my friends. Prob get stoned or drunk first though.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@FateOfNever:

One thing I would try to become more aware of is using phrases like 'weak sauce' or terms like it that easily sound dated (like epic fail, or for the win).

Personally I hate those kinds of phrases. Some of friends do tend to use them though so I'll let them know to knock it off.

'll also add that after you guys mentioned Windwaker I instantly began to wish you guys had done that instead of OoT due to Windwaker being the less fondly received game.   

We do love Wind Waker so we'll definitely get to that one at some point. It will probably be a little later since we don't want to do two Zelda games in a row.

Thanks for all the great advice.