Competitive Gaming More Invigorating Than Coffee?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

I noticed, that when I'm tired or drowsy. In the moring when I wake up or in the evenings. When I play me some Battlefield : Bad Company 2 I'm getting a jolt of energy from the excitement. Many games, like World of Warcraft or Street Fighter 4 or Tony Hawk, which made me pull all-nighters hint to it. Gaming might be biochemically more potent than Coffee when it comes to keeping sleep or drowsiness at bay.

Do you agree?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Clonedzero

no, when im sleepy i never feel like playing them

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli
@crusader8463 said:
Not sure if it's just that to date it's only been games I don't like, or if it's the idea of the "sport" itself is bad, but I have never enjoyed it and don't see the appeal in it.
You need to be serious about winning, or care about other aspects of the specific game (stats whores and such). Games like Tony Hawk do similar things to me like competitive online games, as can 'ambition' based games like World of Warcraft. I should just have asked about 'Games' in general - true.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I know the feeling, I think it's because it keeps your brain active and you don't really want to sleep even though your body wants to. It's just like they say your not supposed to watch TV while going to sleep because it keeps your brain active, but I always used to anyways.

So yeah your probably right in a sense, gaming does keep you awake.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

no, not for me. sometimes when i played wow i would fall asleep. one time i was playing something and i kept on pulling guys because my eyes would close and i would hold w down. 

another time i was playing forza 2, my friend and i were racing, i started falling asleep. i stopped in the middle of the road. my friend was yelling scott wake up.... uajd what? what's going on. it was pretty funny.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I don't know, to me it's more like I need to go lie down in a dark room.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli
@Bucketdeth said:

I know the feeling, I think it's because it keeps your brain active and you don't really want to sleep even though your body wants to. It's just like they say your not supposed to watch TV while going to sleep because it keeps your brain active, but I always used to anyways.

So yeah your probably right in a sense, gaming does keep you awake.

I'm sure it's not not just a 'brain activity' thing. At least when I'm playing competitve online games I'm getting excited and adrenaline (and whatever else gets triggered by excitement) does get into my bloodstream for sure. Gaming is bioactive. In my case competitive gaming.
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By pweidman

I think competitive gaming tends to be pretty intense and adrenaline inducing to some degree, so it's easily more energizing for me than coffee, which I rarely drink anyway. Unless you're really exhausted I guess, and that still depends on how into the game you are.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonPixel

I think sex is more invigorating that all that stuff

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

I hate coffee.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Soffish

At least when I'm drinking coffee I don't have people screaming obscenities at me...most of the time anyways.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463
@Seppli: When I wrote that I thought you were talking about watching e-sports like the starcraft league, fighting tournaments or the COD games. Actually playing games can sometimes keep me going for a few more min then usual, but if I'm tired I'm tired and nothing but getting some sleep will keep me going.
Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tan

Well I'm not gonna be the one to leave, I'm winning
...and then it's 2 in the morning.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Just about anythign that gets your heart pumping blood is gunna wake you up. A cold glass of water and a quick mile or two run is a great wakeup.

@Soffish: Clearly you are doing it wrong then.

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mmzOne

I don't quite agree. 
It's been a year or two since the last time I drank coffee, so today I decided to drink two decent sized cups, because I have a thesis which I need to finish. After doing that I had a slightly discomfortable evening, which included anxiety, restlessness and it's currently 4.45 am.

I did get some writing done though.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaggE

Rock Band is my morning jolt when I don't have an energy drink (coffee rarely wakes me up. I think I have a high tolerance to caffeine). I'm one of those that gets really into it and moves all around while playing, so the blood gets pumping fast.  

I should get a DDR mat to really get myself going...

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't crash as hard after a cup of e-sports.