• 74 results
skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By skadave

To guarantee that I will purchase the next Playstation and Xbox (I own both), complete backward compatibility is key.  And i don't mean just games.  . .

Things that i think should be compatible for next gen consoles:

1) Controllers. I realize many people will say that microsoft or sony would not want to lose new controller sales, but hear me out. If i was told that i could use my old 360 controllers for the new console, i would  buy it  in a heartbeat. I hate buying new controllers, at $50 bucks a pop i feel that i could have purchased another game instead. 

2) Gamertags. This will most likely happen on both platforms.

3)  Downloadable content. Again, if i could easily transfer my old arcade titles to the next gen console, i would buy the new system.

4) Kinect or Move peripherals. It would be a crime if these were not  incorporated into the new hardware.

In a nutshell. . . both microsoft and playstation have a large install base. The more things i can bring over from the previous generation the more likely i am going to stay with their system.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

you could use a PS1 controller and hook ups on a PS2
The only reason you can't on a PS3 is no controller ports.

I will also bet they will pretend like Kinect and Move never happened, like they do now.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo

It'd be nice but it's not a necessity.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Slaker117

If gametags don't transfer over, somebody fucked up. Bad. As for the rest, yeah it would be nice, and I could see it all happening except maybe for controllers.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mnzy
@kingzetta said:
I will also bet they will pretend like Kinect and Move never happened, like they do now.
Wait for the Microsoft press conference. There will be alot of Kinect.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingzetta
@mnzy said:
@kingzetta said:
Sure alot more this gen, but next gen fuck the kinect.
QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By QuistisTrepe
@kingzetta said:
@mnzy said:
@kingzetta said:
Yeah, the continued development and refinement of motion gaming that could potentially lead to more breakthroughs in gameplay, I mean who would ever want something like that?
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contro
@kingzetta said:
you could use a PS1 controller and hook ups on a PS2 The only reason you can't on a PS3 is no controller ports.  I will also bet they will pretend like Kinect and Move never happened, like they do now.

There's going to be a shit load of Kinect software on the show floor, you can be absolutely sure of that. CoE & Star Wars should appear during Microsofts stage conference. 

I find it slightly amusing that as soon as Microsoft and Sony plough investment into motion control, Nintendo appear to be focusing on the next step, which for them is Feel.  

That Feel can come about in various ways, but custom made Haptic screen technolgy seems the most likely.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingzetta
@QuistisTrepe said:
@kingzetta said:
@mnzy said:
@kingzetta said:
Yeah, the continued development and refinement of motion gaming that could potentially lead to more breakthroughs in gameplay, I mean who would ever want something like that?
YAY more mini games I can't wait till all consoles get as much shovelware as the Wii.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vodun

My next gen PC has complete backwards compatibility!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kingzetta
@Vodun said:

Well your going to need that, because it's about 10 years till the next PC only game.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

Um no. Not at all. BC is a fun thing to have for the 6 months of transition between one console and the next one, that's about it. After that, nobody gives a shit about playing their old games cus any old game people give a shit about will get an "enhanced remake" that'll look better than software emulation.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mattbosten

On the controller issue, I hope they have compatibility for current controllers but release newer versions of the controllers (360 pad with better D-Pad, PS3 with imporved triggers). Gamertags have to stay, end of. DLC/Backward compatibility I'd agree with up to a point, and that point is where the ability to play older games governs the tech that the next gen systems have. Kinect and Move I don't care about at all.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vodun

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Well your going to need that, because it's about 10 years till the next PC only game.

So you can only play exclusives?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
@kingzetta said:
@Vodun said:

Starcraft Heart of the Swarm and Diablo 3 come out within the next year or so but okay retard.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Well the only reason to have a super fancy PC is to play super fancy PC games.
Only a moron would pay twice maybe 3 times more to play console games on a PC.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta
@ryanwho said:
@kingzetta said:
@Vodun said:

Starcraft Heart of the Swarm and Diablo 3 come out within the next year or so but okay retard.
Ok you do have me there, Cheesey Charlie.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Well the only reason to have a super fancy PC is to play super fancy PC games. Only a moron would pay twice maybe 3 times more to play console games on a PC.

Also to stream HD movie content and to use programs like Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Garageband, and Zbrush which use up a lot of RAM and CPU.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vodun

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Well the only reason to have a super fancy PC is to play super fancy PC games. Only a moron would pay twice maybe 3 times more to play console games on a PC.

Nah, I got disposable income and I like my games to look good. Go ask your mommy and maybe she'll buy you one too.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Jimbo

Kinect will be alright when it can do accurate head tracking and read hand gestures etc. I don't have any interest in it as its own thing, but as a complementary device I think it (or an advanced form of this tech) will prove important in the traditional genres. If they show some game footage that looks like the Arma 2 / TrackIR trailers it will blow everyone's minds.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kingzetta
@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Nah, I got disposable income and I like my games to look good. Go ask your mommy and maybe she'll buy you one too.

Sounds like a plan my man
lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By lego_my_eggo
@kingzetta said:
you could use a PS1 controller and hook ups on a PS2 The only reason you can't on a PS3 is no controller ports.
I think you can still use ps1 and ps2 controllers on ps3, you just have to change the connection to USB.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Lego_My_Eggo said:
@kingzetta said:
you could use a PS1 controller and hook ups on a PS2 The only reason you can't on a PS3 is no controller ports.
I think you can still use ps1 and ps2 controllers on ps3, you just have to change the connection to USB.
... what? 
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By FreakAche

Gamertags will definitely cross over, but that might be about it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingzetta
@MysteriousBob said:
@Lego_My_Eggo said:
@kingzetta said:
... what? 
There's a 3rd party adapter
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By tourgen

I don't think we're going to get compatibility at the hardware level. We might see some half-assed emulation layers in software that never quite work right. Really if you want full backwards compatibility I think everyone is assuming you'll just keep an xbox360 or ps3 piece of hardware around.

What people should be thinking about is all of those console games that require secondary logins or use xboxlive checks for DRM of their DLC and digital-only games. Will your XboxLive profile have to be transferred to your new system and will they let you use it on both systems at the same time? Doubtful. How long will EA and family keep DLC and DRM servers up for old games on an old piece of hardware? especially when they are trying to sell you a "super H-HD" remake version at full price on the new hardware?

Publishers have been working hard to build in kill switches to old games these last 6 years. We are about to find out how well it works out for them.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm
@ryanwho said:
@kingzetta said:
@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Also to stream HD movie content and to use programs like Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Garageband, and Zbrush which use up a lot of RAM and CPU. Retard.
Kingzetta is certainly proving himself to be ahead of the competition in terms of talking before his brain tells him to shut the fuck up. 

I agree mostly with the OP. I just hope next generation is mostly a hardware and interface upgrade.
awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By awe_stuck

Kinect is a cool idea. Its also a total waste of money, and anyone who plays kinect games, and admits to it is *$%. Seriously. LAME. I laugh when I read penny arcade and he talks about Move, and Kinect.  Though I can understand why he talks about it.

These arent videogames, they are interactive experiences. Stuff I will never take part in until virtual reality isnt just an idea.. Backward compatibality is cool, but not  a necessity for next gen. Also, all the stuff currently available will probably transfer over as it was, as well as being backward compatible, however I will not doubt that at some point you wont see updates to the 360 or PS3 anymore.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hzaife

Big things for me are backwards compatibility and region free

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DonPixel

@Vodun said:

Backwards compatibility since the 80s

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tanikaze
@DonPixel said:

@Vodun said:

Backwards compatibility since the 80s

70s if I'm right that there's some way to play those old PLATO games like Empire still kicking around on the internet.

Backwards compatibility is pretty great. You know they only just stopped selling used PS2 games at gamestops? Still though I think it's kinda up in the air whether they'll even bother including it, let alone giving full support for the previous platform's games. I get the vibe that MS and Sony think it's pretty inessential, partially because they'd rather sell HD copies of the big games and people would rather have the remakes anyway. People like me will probably have to keep the old consoles for at least some games I think.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kingzetta
@Napalm said:

@ryanwho said:

@kingzetta said:
@Vodun said:

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

Also to stream HD movie content and to use programs like Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Garageband, and Zbrush which use up a lot of RAM and CPU. Retard.
Kingzetta is certainly proving himself to be ahead of the competition in terms of talking before his brain tells him to shut the fuck up.  I agree mostly with the OP. I just hope next generation is mostly a hardware and interface upgrade.
Hey this the internet and America. It's my god given right to be loudly opinionated about things I know nothing about. The difference between me and trolls are I actually believe what I say.
skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By skadave

I am actually not concerned about disc based games having backwards compatibility. I do hope that all of the games i have downloaded on my 360 will be available on the next gen console.

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tanikaze
@skadave said:
I am actually not concerned about disc based games having backwards compatibility. I do hope that all of the games i have downloaded on my 360 will be available on the next gen console.
Yeah actually I hadn't even thought about this but I really, really want this to be the case. Moreso than discs actually. It'd save them from rereleasing all the sickest 360 games ever, such as Uno and Catan.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster
I agree with the OP

@kingzetta
said:
you could use a PS1 controller and hook ups on a PS2 The only reason you can't on a PS3 is no controller ports.  I will also bet they will pretend like Kinect and Move never happened, like they do now.
Actually, you can use PS2 controllers for the PS3. You just have to pay $5 for an adapter.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By KarlPilkington

I agree.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Claude

Not sure about anyone but Nintendo. I really enjoyed the Wii's backwards compatibility with the Gamecube. The emulations on the VC aren't so bad either. If Nintendo's next console can play Gamecube, Wii and whatever they have up their sleeve, a leg up on the competition, that's what they'll have.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mendelson9
I am not buying more of this

I hope DLC and Arcade games are transferable. I have spent a lot of money on Rock Band songs. If the next Xbox has backwards compatible for Xbox 360, backwards compatible for Rock Band Instruments, and transfer my DLC and Arcade games (even for a licence fee) I will buy the next Xbox day 1.

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tanikaze
@Axxol said:
I agree with the OP

@kingzetta
said:
Actually, you can use PS2 controllers for the PS3. You just have to pay $5 for an adapter.
Can you just DIY it? I know with the original Xbox controllers(and S) you could just go ahead and cut off the end of the wire and solder it to a USB cord and it would work fine on your PC.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No one who buys that console new is buying it because they can play 7th generation games on it, because they already have a 7th generation console. That was the big realization with the PS3, is that you want it to have backwards compatibility despite already owning a PS2. Maybe your entertainment center space is limited or you hate cords (both are legitimate), but it seems crazy to spend time and money on something the customer doesn't actually need.

How much would you spend so it emulates a console you already have?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

@Mendelson9 said:

I hope DLC and Arcade games are transferable. I have spent a lot of money on Rock Band songs. If the next Xbox has backwards compatible for Xbox 360, backwards compatible for Rock Band Instruments, and transfer my DLC and Arcade games (even for a licence fee) I will buy the next Xbox day 1.

Same but for PS3. I know companies may think that by giving backwards compatibility we will buy fewer new products but if you told me that all Rock Band DLC this gen can get transferred to the PS4 I would just keep on buying.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BraveToaster
@Tanikaze said:

@Axxol said:

I agree with the OP

@kingzetta
said:
Can you just DIY it? I know with the original Xbox controllers(and S) you could just go ahead and cut off the end of the wire and solder it to a USB cord and it would work fine on your PC.
Probably, but I'd rather buy a converter. I don't have soldering equipment, nor do I want to take a chance with DIY. $5 isn't that much anyway.
Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tanikaze

I hear you. If you don't already have the iron laying around it's more expensive to solder it anyway.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cathryn

For someone like me who has an enormous backlog, backwards compatibility is a huge issue.

I have an especially long PS2 backlog, so for me, PS4 with at least full PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility would be great. I can understand why other people don't care that much about it, and I'll keep my PS2 out and hooked up if I have to, but it's probably #1 on my PS4 wishlist.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@kingzetta said:

@Vodun said:

There are tons of PC only games. More so than on consoles.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@rebgav said:

Backward compatibility is a little pointless, if you want to play old games use your old console. It's a feature that everyone thinks that they want but I'll bet no-one uses it very often. Besides, old consoles and controllers are half of the fun of older games. With HD remakes becoming a trend, the idea of backward compatibility for games on disc is not going to be very appealing to publishers either.

The only thing which needs to carry forward is the content that you've bought through Live/PSN. It would probably have a catastrophic effect on sales through those services if it were made clear that downloadable content, like games and movies, is tied to a particular box and may be stripped from your library with the next product-refresh.

Your statement seems like a contradiction. You say all purchases from Xbox Live/PSN should carry over, but not the games I bought DLC for? 

That's madness, yo.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CL60

I wouldn't mind being able to use my fightstick on the next Xbox.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By defaultprophet

@skadave said:

To guarantee that I will purchase the next Playstation and Xbox (I own both), complete backward compatibility is key. And i don't mean just games. . . Things that i think should be compatible for next gen consoles: 1) Controllers. I realize many people will say that microsoft or sony would not want to lose new controller sales, but hear me out. If i was told that i could use my old 360 controllers for the new console, i would buy it in a heartbeat. I hate buying new controllers, at $50 bucks a pop i feel that i could have purchased another game instead. 2) Gamertags. This will most likely happen on both platforms. 3) Downloadable content. Again, if i could easily transfer my old arcade titles to the next gen console, i would buy the new system. 4) Kinect or Move peripherals. It would be a crime if these were not incorporated into the new hardware. In a nutshell. . . both microsoft and playstation have a large install base. The more things i can bring over from the previous generation the more likely i am going to stay with their system.

As a gamer don't even act like you're not gonna buy the next gen system regardless of if they have ANY of those. C'mon bro.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vinny_Says
@ryanwho said:
@kingzetta said:
@Vodun said:

LOL don't be silly...
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't know. I'd like to see a console with a low failure rate. That would be nice.

I'd also like to see games finished before they're put on store shelves. Don't release an unfinished product, and make us wait for you to patch it.