TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

Edited By TOYBOXX
No Caption Provided

The United States Congress is at it again. On Monday a new bill has been introduced with a warning label to all video games that reads:

“WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior.”

The Dynamic, Dimwitted Duo, who concocted this jovial lunacy known non-other as the “Violence in Video Games Labeling Act” (H.R. 4204), Joe Baca (D-Calif.) and Frank Wolf (R-Va.), both have issued a statement following this great piece of disposable legislature that they’ve created:

“The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products,” said Representative Baca in a statement on the legislation. “They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility. Meanwhile research continues to show that playing violent video games is a casual risk factor for a host of detrimental effects in both the short- and long-term, including increasing the likelihood of physically aggressive behavior. American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous products.”

“Just as we warn smokers of the health consequences of tobacco, we should warn parents—and children—about the growing scientific evidence demonstrating a relationship between violent video games and violent behavior,” Representative Wolf said. “As a parent and grandparent, I think it is important people know everything they can about the extremely violent nature of some of these games.”

Video games that have been rated by the ESRB “”E” for everyone, “E10+” for everyone 10 and older, “T” for teen, “M” for mature or “A” for adult” would get slapped with this new label. If passed, this new bill would easily contradict the ruling of CALIFORNIA v. ENTERTAINMENT MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION which deemed video games as a part of Free Speech. Something, of which, can’t co-exist among power hungry figure heads better known as the United States Congress.

And as always, to prevent a catastrophic disaster like this from happening, contact your State Legislator and make your voices heard.

Source: EGM

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By TOYBOXX
No Caption Provided

The United States Congress is at it again. On Monday a new bill has been introduced with a warning label to all video games that reads:

“WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior.”

The Dynamic, Dimwitted Duo, who concocted this jovial lunacy known non-other as the “Violence in Video Games Labeling Act” (H.R. 4204), Joe Baca (D-Calif.) and Frank Wolf (R-Va.), both have issued a statement following this great piece of disposable legislature that they’ve created:

“The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products,” said Representative Baca in a statement on the legislation. “They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility. Meanwhile research continues to show that playing violent video games is a casual risk factor for a host of detrimental effects in both the short- and long-term, including increasing the likelihood of physically aggressive behavior. American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous products.”

“Just as we warn smokers of the health consequences of tobacco, we should warn parents—and children—about the growing scientific evidence demonstrating a relationship between violent video games and violent behavior,” Representative Wolf said. “As a parent and grandparent, I think it is important people know everything they can about the extremely violent nature of some of these games.”

Video games that have been rated by the ESRB “”E” for everyone, “E10+” for everyone 10 and older, “T” for teen, “M” for mature or “A” for adult” would get slapped with this new label. If passed, this new bill would easily contradict the ruling of CALIFORNIA v. ENTERTAINMENT MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION which deemed video games as a part of Free Speech. Something, of which, can’t co-exist among power hungry figure heads better known as the United States Congress.

And as always, to prevent a catastrophic disaster like this from happening, contact your State Legislator and make your voices heard.

Source: EGM

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By iWonder

I really hope the duders running my state aren't so dumb as to actually support these guys, but something tells me they are.

Also: there's already one of these threads.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By TheMasterDS

Can someone tell them that correlation doesn't imply causation? Man, a scientist told them it the evidence was conclusive? Oh wait no, it's scientific evidence, doesn't mean it came from a scientist necessarily, nor does it mean a scientist has condoned this conclusion, more that a bunch of people with an existing opinion gathered up all the evidence that supports their case and put a bow on it.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By EmuLeader

Already a post about it here. Please keep duplicate threads to a minimum.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

@TOYBOXX: Don't worry, TOYBOXX. This is the same bill proposed by the same guy every few years. Tons of bills are introduced every year, and most are shot down. In this case, due to recent court cases against the studies cited in the legislation, this proposed legislation is flimsier than ever. It isn't going to happen, and there's no reason to concern yourself with it or give it more attention.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bwmcmaste

@TheMasterDS said:

Can someone tell them that correlation doesn't imply causation?

Actually, I believe that the proposed label uses the phrase "linked to," which is not intrinsically causal. I'm told that there is empirical evidence to support the claim that some individuals display aggression while playing certain games, but it would be disingenuous to extend this to all games.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Are you fucking kidding me?

Now I have to go hack someone's head off in Skyrim while listening to some heavy metal about worshipping Satan.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@bwmcmaste said:

@TheMasterDS said:

Can someone tell them that correlation doesn't imply causation?

Actually, I believe that the proposed label uses the phrase "linked to," which is not intrinsically causal. I'm told that there is empirical evidence to support the claim that some individuals display aggression while playing certain games, but it would be disingenuous to extend this to all games.

Yes. We all know that games are the only thing that causes some individuals to become more aggressive while participating in it. Not like something along the lines of oh, say, football or hockey. Those never make people more violent. We obviously shouldn't also put a warning label on them.

In the meantime, this fellow's bill will die. He's a stupid asshole, the congress knows it, it ain't passin'.