Console gaming

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello all,

I am in a bit of a bind at the moment. I am feeling like I am not enjoying console gaming anymore (and perhaps have not for a long time, be it from feeling rubbish when I keep loosing online games, or winning when I get lucky because others have dropped out, to struggling to be motivated to play single player games). I am curious if anybody else has gone through this? Did you essentially clear out your consoles/games when this happened?

I am not planning to walk away from gaming forever (I will still play some titles on my PC, but as it is not a top of the line latest spec PC, I will not be able to play all the latest games, especially when the new Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 arrive and push the requirements up presumably for the top level games). Just wondered if other people had gone through this, what decisions they made, and how they feel now?

Cheers all.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I haven't really played a lot of console games in years. I built my first gaming PC in late summer 2012 and then pretty much stuck with that. I have purchased the current gen consoles and played them enough to justify the purchase, but at this point in my life I don't think I need a console. Even if all I had was an underpowered PC not quite up to par for modern AAA titles, I'd still stick with the PC for indie and older titles. A higher framerate is the major thing for me - I will never have to worry about a game "aiming" for 30FPS and rarely actually hitting it, or a game soaking everything in motion blur with no option to turn it off, or anything of the sort. I tried to play the Gears of War remaster on Xbox earlier this year and just... couldn't.

Sometimes I do miss the simplicity of console gaming, I'll admit. There's an Xbox One S under my living room TV, it exists primarily for movies and streaming services, and sometimes I look at the small selection of games for it and wish I could just launch straight into any of them. But I have both the income and the technical know-how to keep up a gaming PC and the advantages are too great for me to go back.

That doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my old consoles or anything like that. Far from it, there are too many games I'd like to play and replay on those old consoles. It really just means that I barely played the consoles this generation and I don't know if I'm going to get the next generation consoles. Sony's exclusives haven't been all that interesting to me since the PS2 days and all of Microsoft's exclusives are, supposedly, coming to the PC for the rest of this generation. I already don't have the time to play everything I really want to play on PC, so why would I ever go back?

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was PC gamer most of my life and got PS4 at around 3-4 years ago.
I still game on PC due to the fact that it's mine and mine alone!
I need to use TV that's in living room in order to game on PS4 and that means gf can't be watching anything while I'm playing something I like. And she's not that heavily into gaming.
Luckily there are some PS4 games she's into so we play those and it's a win win.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to go through with the sale of my consoles and games. It feels like the time for me to end my interest in this area. I have lost my patience and love of gaming and it became a bit of a chore "I must play this game because I bought it" or "I must get this new game, otherwise I am going to miss out." I am likely giving up PC gaming at this point too as even something like Football Manager I found it was becoming an unpaid job rather than something I enjoyed.

Mitch659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds more like a serious case of burnout, so maybe a break from games would be useful in general. I primarily play console, though just before the covid times I got my wife a PC with a 2070 super, and have tried some games there as well. I think honestly it comes down to preference and what feels most comfortable. But if you aren't feeling like it's worth playing anymore, I'd say take a break and then reassess once you have stepped away for a bit.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnlocke: Good on you man, get out of this sinking hell hole. There are better things out there to do with your time, like racing cars and jamming out on samplers.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

And this is why I keep my expectations low. Me not getting swept up in FOMO and hype means me not getting horribly burned out and feelling the need to sell my collection.

Welp, decisions were made, so, to each their own.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitch659: @facelessvixen Thinking about it, I went back on selling it all. It seemed after a bit to be not the wisest of decisions. So I plan to sell some things I have not used in a while and then maybe I will feel less pressure of the "backlog mountain" and perhaps will enjoy the games a bit more. I do have other interests outside of games so it was not the 100% only I ever do, but perhaps taking a break from competitive/demanding games will help give me a fresher perspective.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got rid of my PS4 Pro around two years ago. These last years has seen my console gaming crawling to a halt. Last year the games i finished where on Switch and PC. This year i have no completed games on console, it has been all PC.

As it is right now i have no interest in any coming console. My PC is where i will get my entertainment. I also don't suffer from FOMO like i see a lot people do.

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Xbox has irritated me to no end with more failed game loads and cheeky conversational fail state prompts. Reminds me how much I hate pc.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: I dont remember a day when I seen a video game related error on my Pc, or any other error really :)

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it was the fact that I got older.

I just realised that I dont want to spend countles hours playing video games.

So these days Im making sure Im productive first, working towards certifications every year to grow my carrier and treating video games like a side hobby. Back in a day I could play games for 6 hours a day,then I started to feel bored, especialy with open world games, and the fact how shalow most of them are.

Now I will sit and play for an 1h a day after I actually done something productive., skipping open world and multiplayer games. Funny enough I actually started to enjoy games again, treating them as a little hobby rather that important part of my life.

Another thing is that we are getting bombarded from left and right about new "cool" games. But honestly who gives a shit, learn to pick a one thing and finish it. On site note many people at current age strugling with it and Im not only talking about video games:)

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I bought a PS3 with illicit funds (aka leftover student loan money) and then proceeded to play Resistance, Modern Warfare, and basically only NBA 2K for the first half of that generation until I stumbled across the Giant Bombcast and Ryan was talking such a huge game about what a value Playstation Plus was becoming. I got something like $2,000 worth of enjoyment out of that service in the back half of the PS3's lifetime, and that was awesome, but it was doubly awesome because I'd spent a decent amount of time essentially completely ignoring video games.

If you're feeling burned out on a thing, walk away from the thing. The most relevant example for me is that I spent nearly seven years as a professional music critic, and when I walked away from that work it was partially because I needed to walk away from music completely as it was just boring me to tears. That was around 2015, and it took until late last year for me to start earnestly seeking out new music again - turns out, I love music! But I needed a significant time away from it to pick out what, how and why I do, same as that period where I was basically a dorm floor sports bro rather than the play at least two new games every week kid I grew up as.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

if you have a decent GPU, you can use game pass to keep up on xbox, and maybe one day youll have wondered about enough ps5 exclusives to pick one up at the next iteration or at a lower price? nothing wrong with losing some steam, happens to me from time to time, i just start playing more guitar or even just watching TV i missed out on. i wouldn't clear house though if you think you may go back, you never know when the moods gonna strike!